• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI Tv pass through to AV receiver

Gary.N

I am think of buying a Denon AVR-x8500H that doesn't have HDMI 2.1 which I require for my pc to play video games at 4k 120hz. But the Denon does support eARC and I have a Samsung Q94A (uk model number)\Q90A(us model) tv with eARC pass through. Is it possible to connect the pc to the tv to get my video requirements of 4k 120hz and then Pass through(without any processing) a Dolby atmos signal via eARC back to the Denon receiver? I cannot figure out whether the eARC would pass video and audio back or just the audio. If it is audio and video then I don't think it would work as the receiver is not Hdmi 2.1 and would be able the see the signal.

Last edited:

jitl

ARC stands for "audio return channel"; it's not passing a video signal back to the receiver.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Dolby atmos signal via eARC back to the Denon receiver?
Yes, eARC allows multi-channel high res formats;

It supports the latest high-bitrate audio formats up to192kHz, 24-bit, and uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1, and 32-channel uncompressed audio. It also supports DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS:X®, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby Atmos®.

JSmith

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
eARC just sends the audio to the AVR.

2 options:

1. Use eARC. 1 cable from your PC (4K 120hz & DA) to your Samsung TV and one cable connect to the HDMI out of the Denon to the HDMI in port that's labeled eARC. You can get away by using a somewhat cheap HDMI cable between your Denon and Samsung, since it's not using that much bandwidth. Regardless of brand, since your asking to pump 4k 120hz & DA through 1 cable (Between your Samsung and PC), your gonna have to use a short high-quality cable. Although it's getting less and less common, eArc/ARC flickering is still a thing.

2. Use 2 cable's out of your PC. I assume your have 2 HDMI out's on your PC. Most stable method. You send your 1st HDMI to your Denon (Your Audio) and your 2nd HDMI (Video) to your Samsung. On the Audio HDMI side, use 720p or lower to cut down on bandwidth. You can use somewhat cheap cables with this method and no need to use eARC. The only catch is that your games may launch (Pretty rare) on your 2nd "monitor" that is your AVR. It's easy to solve luckily, just switch the input on your TV to your AVR, Make your game windowed and drag the game to your 1st monitor, which is your Samsung, switch back to the other input and Fullscreen the game.

Top Bottom