• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI over CAT*, any experience with HDBaseT products?

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if an HDMI cable with micro HDMI connectors could fit in your PVC tube, and then use micro to regular HDMI adapters. I've no actual experience with these, especially at these run lengths, just a thought from a quick google search about what's out there.
Or...
Can you remove the ethernet cables, pull the HDMI, then if still needed re-pull the ethernet cables? Anyway, pulling the stiffest/largest connector cable first, then the smaller ones will usually work better than the other way around.

Edit: You all beat me to it about Micro HDMI. I guess when the 'click for more recent post' button comes up, I should click it sometimes. :)

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If a micro hdmi won't fit then an RJ45 connector on an Ethernet cable is going to be an issue too as they are about the same size.

That hasn't been a problem for decades. I can fit those myself.

I have one of those micro HDMI adapters here, I'll check how much wiggle room they would give. Certainly, I cannot fit the connector and the CAT 7 though there at the same time, and one-by-one will be even harder.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My brother uses one of these optical HDMI cables with detachable connectors with succes through a 21mm diameter (rigid) PVC duct, along with another cat6 and a USB cable:

https://www.ruconnected.nl/hdmi-kabel-door-buis/

Thanks, that sound promising. The major difference I guess is ridgid vs flex tubing. I guess I can just replace my flex if needed. That is a super cheap solution (at least that part).

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
since i have absolutely no clue about combined cables of such sort and before i start googling....

what's the fibre for?
where's the light source in this whole story?

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what's the fibre for?

The fibre will give you enough signal bandwidth to bridge larger than 7-meter distances.

where's the light source in this whole story?

It's in the connectors. They house all the chips and electronics needed for fibre transmission.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
oh
nice miniaturization there, since the connnecctors didn't look that much bigger in the links posted :oops:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
oh
nice miniaturization there, since the connnecctors didn't look that much bigger in the links posted :oops:

it's a great way to break ground loops and minimize electric noise too! but optical USB cables are really expensive in comparison since it's a very small niche.

raindance

Major Contributor
Anyone read my second post? The solution I posted was specifically designed for this scenario.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone read my second post? The solution I posted was specifically designed for this scenario.

Yup, and their site VS what you posted is... confusing. I don't see anything beyond (analog only?) VGA+Audio. The wall plates that also have HDMI are in addition to the RapidRun (VGA) and only have a regular HDMI connector in the back like a typical wall-plate/keystone. What are we missing, is there something on the site I'm not seeing?

P.S. Just because you posted one solution doesn't mean the conversation stops and people can't offer other ideas that may work better/cheaper. The rapid run stuff looks like it would be $500+ if an HDMI solution actually exist. This might be the best (quickest/easiest) for the problem your facing. Others have posted cheaper solutions.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, and their site VS what you posted is... confusing. I don't see anything beyond (analog only?) VGA+Audio. The wall plates that also have HDMI are in addition to the RapidRun (VGA) and only have a regular HDMI connector in the back like a typical wall-plate/keystone. What are we missing, is there something on the site I'm not seeing?

I had the same impression indeed. Found these active cables: https://www.cablestogo.com/product/41413/25ft-active-high-speed-hdmi-cable-4k-60hz-in-wall-cl3-rated though. Still the connector problem though. And out of stock, and I'm guessing shipping will not be very economical.

markb

Thanks, that sound promising. The major difference I guess is ridgid vs flex tubing. I guess I can just replace my flex if needed. That is a super cheap solution (at least that part).

Yes, I’ve come to really hate flex tubing. Recently I pulled 2xCAT7 + 1x CAT6 in single rigid 20mm tubing of 15m length, plus 1.5m of (accessible) flex tubing at one end. The (inaccessible) 15m rigid tubing was easy, a few minutes to do that by myself. The short 1.5m flex was *hell*, and I needed to get help for more hands to pull/push it through.

At last those CAT7 cables are now nicely carrying analog+AES3 to my Genelec SAM monitors.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I now have 2x CAT7 through about 5 meters of flex.. that was not easy indeed and no way anything else would fit.. well that settles it then, change for rigid tubing, pull a micro HDMI fiber cable and the two CAT7’s though and be done with the nonsense :cool:

Only question now: go for a local shop, or buy some AliExpress stuff? Price difference is significant, 2 to 3 times cheaper.

Top Bottom