• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI - HDMI - Audio Extractor - USB

Rjharle

I looking for a audio HDMI - HDMI - Audio Extractor - USB
Need to connect the extracted audio to a DAC USB Input

HDMI ----------------------HDMI
In | OUT
| OUT
AUDIO |___________USB C

Does such an extractor exist?
I've been looking for days

Keened

Forum Donor
I looking for a audio HDMI - HDMI - Audio Extractor - USB
Need to connect the extracted audio to a DAC USB Input

HDMI ----------------------HDMI
In | OUT
| OUT
AUDIO |___________USB C

Does such an extractor exist?
I've been looking for days
Yes, but not cheaply nor without other issues.

If you are looking for 2 channel you can find a bunch of HDMI -> SPDIF and then SPDIF -> USB. You could even just use an HDMI capture card since almost all of them support 2 channel audio.

If you want multi-channel...

The Vanity Pro is currently the final word on the subject without going to $5K. There are HDMI -> I2S convertors and then you could conceivably capture the I2S but it's still a bit tricky (I'm working on this but need to stick a reclocker since both the USB interface and the I2S extractor want to act as the master. If you can find a I2S USB slave interface it should work (provided it can understand the justification alignment used).

Also you'll need to deal with the HDCP on most HDMI streams.

Long story short, the reason it doesn't exist is because the HDMI forum doesn't want it to exist. The reason the HDMI forum doesn't want it to exist is because of piracy fears.

OP
R

Rjharle

Yes, but not cheaply nor without other issues.

If you are looking for 2 channel you can find a bunch of HDMI -> SPDIF and then SPDIF -> USB. You could even just use an HDMI capture card since almost all of them support 2 channel audio.

If you want multi-channel...

The Vanity Pro is currently the final word on the subject without going to $5K. There are HDMI -> I2S convertors and then you could conceivably capture the I2S but it's still a bit tricky (I'm working on this but need to stick a reclocker since both the USB interface and the I2S extractor want to act as the master. If you can find a I2S USB slave interface it should work (provided it can understand the justification alignment used).

Also you'll need to deal with the HDCP on most HDMI streams.

Long story short, the reason it doesn't exist is because the HDMI forum doesn't want it to exist. The reason the HDMI forum doesn't want it to exist is because of piracy fears.
I found a site that has all kinds of converters and boards.

I think this one will work for me since I can use a I2S input. $65.00

Keened

Forum Donor
I found a site that has all kinds of converters and boards.

I think this one will work for me since I can use a I2S input. $65.00

Yep, that's one of them. Just make sure that your I2S input can be set to slave mode

OP
R

Rjharle

Yep, that's one of them. Just make sure that your I2S input can be set to slave mode
The I2S port is on a Matrix Audio Element I. I'm not sure it can be set to slave mode? The port is labeled IIS - LVDs . I'm going to connect it to an Nvidia Shield TV Pro HDMI >> HDMI Convertor IIS >> Element I IIS - LVDS input. Now you may ask why not use the Element I ports directly why use the Nvidia. Because the Element uses the MA App to control file play. Since I don't own a cellphone or tablet I need the Nividia's remote.

If this doesn't work I'll have to find an HDMI audio extractor to USB-C

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything involving USB will require you to have some sort of computer to act as a host. You will never find a direct HDMI -> USB converter.

As it does not seem like you are using multichannel audio why not use a simple HDMI -> TOSLINK/SPDIF extractor in to the Matrix? Something like this -> https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24278.

Michael

OP
R

Rjharle

Anything involving USB will require you to have some sort of computer to act as a host. You will never find a direct HDMI -> USB converter.

As it does not seem like you are using multichannel audio why not use a simple HDMI -> TOSLINK/SPDIF extractor in to the Matrix? Something like this -> https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24278.

Michael
I already have one of these which is limited to 24bit/192khz SPDIF the DAC has a much higher rating

I was told since the DAC has a USB host port that USB would work as an input. The HDMI audio extractor > USB may not work because I'm not finding any. I did find this one HDMI audio extractor > IIS since the DAC does have an IIS - LVDS I've contacted the vendor of the DAC to see if it would work.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC has a USB input but that input needs to be something that is a USB host (aka a computer). If you can get HDMI in to a computer with a capture device as mentioned by @Keened you can then use a DAW (or equivalent) to route that input to the USB output on the computer.

An HDMI to IIS - LVDS extractor seems like a better solution but I seriously question the benefit of worrying about sample rates above 192 kHz. How much source material do you have that operates at such high sample rates? I would guess almost none. Even then unless you care about ultrasonics not audible to humans there is really no point for higher sample rates.

Michael

Last edited:
OP
R

Rjharle

The DAC has a USB input but that input needs to be something that is a USB host (aka a computer). If you can get HDMI in to a computer with a capture device as mentioned by @Keened you can then use a DAW (or equivalent) to route that input to the USB output on the computer.

An HDMI to IIS - LVDS extractor seems like a better solution but I seriously question the benefit of worrying about sample rates above 192 kHz. How much source material do you have that operates at such high sample rates? I would guess almost none. Even then unless you care about ultrasonics not audible to humans there is really no point for higher sample rates.

Michael
I have most of my classical in DSD64 - 512, and I'm going to transfer much of my vinyl to DSD64

Matrix Audio Element I reply to my IIS inquiry:

The IIS input on the Matrix Device can be set to 4 different options when using the IIS input. They are all labeled "TYPE" followed by a letter. Type A(the default option, and what Matrix Audio uses for all their IIS sources), Type B, Type C, and Type D. Since IIS is a relatively new format to output audio there are multiple different standards used by different companies. These 4 different types are designed to match the Element I with the most commonly used IIS sources.

OP
R

Rjharle

I may have missed this but why not go directly from the Nvidia to the USB input of the Matrix?

Michael
I unit I have is the old Shield the USB is for storage. I would have to by the new model $350.00, and then I would still be at 24bit/192/khz

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
and I'm going to transfer much of my vinyl to DSD64
If that's your preferred format, fine. But vinyl has the "equivalent" resolution of something like 12-14 bits (usable resolution limited by surface noise), imperfect frequency response, and sometimes audible distortion.

Vinyl can go higher in frequency than CDs but CDs do cover the full audible range and the frequency response is flatter over the audible range. And in reality, the high frequencies are often limited during vinyl mastering so any ultrasonic energy is usually just noise.

So for digitized vinyl there's no need for high-resolution or anything special.

OP
R

Rjharle

If that's your preferred format, fine. But vinyl has the "equivalent" resolution of something like 12-14 bits (usable resolution limited by surface noise), imperfect frequency response, and sometimes audible distortion.

Vinyl can go higher in frequency than CDs but CDs do cover the full audible range and the frequency response is flatter over the audible range. And in reality, the high frequencies are often limited during vinyl mastering so any ultrasonic energy is usually just noise.

So for digitized vinyl there's no need for high-resolution or anything special.
What I'm doing here is only the playback portion of my plan to transfer my vinyl to digital. Just asking which input would provide the best results.

I intend to use a Raga P3 (Exact cart) turntable, Korg DS-DAC-10R analog to digital converter (DSD256), Audiogate software, and a big fast computer to store it all.

Now if I'm understanding your replay I would be better off just buy a CD because no matter what I do I'll get nothing better than CD quality.

P.S. I do have many vinyl records in Direct to Disc, 1/2 Speed Master, and DBX.

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I already have one of these which is limited to 24bit/192khz SPDIF the DAC has a much higher rating

I was told since the DAC has a USB host port that USB would work as an input. The HDMI audio extractor > USB may not work because I'm not finding any. I did find this one HDMI audio extractor > IIS since the DAC does have an IIS - LVDS I've contacted the vendor of the DAC to see if it would work.
USB host on a dac would mean you can put an USB memory stick or an hard drive, so the dac is more than a DAC, it is a computer actually. USB is a computer centric interface, it is not an electrical interface like spdif or AES.

If you want more than 24/192 PCM, you need a computer as a host. Either a PC/Mac, or a raspberry. Some multimedia boxes supports USB audio to plug a DAC, but it does not necessarily mean they supports DSD. You have to read their manuals.
I2s can offer some flexibility, but it is not standardized for any formats, so again, you need to go deep in the manuals.

OP
R

Rjharle

USB host on a dac would mean you can put an USB memory stick or an hard drive, so the dac is more than a DAC, it is a computer actually.
Thank you but, the problem is using the DAC. The only remote is the one on the cellphone "MA Remote" there's no handheld. I don't own a cell phone, so I have to use a player outside the DAC. Like Plex or Kodi. Which means I have to pipe into the DAC my selections.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Thank you but, the problem is using the DAC. The only remote is the one on the cellphone "MA Remote" there's no handheld. I don't own a cell phone, so I have to use a player outside the DAC. Like Plex or Kodi. Which means I have to pipe into the DAC my selections.
Then you need a computer or a box

Postercowboy

Isn't 24/192 damn good?

I think that‘s pretty good. Any higher resolution might cause additional jitter, so it does not necessarily sound better.

My Aten VC-880 de-embedder only supports PCM 24/96, and that‘s pretty good already. I only play silver discs, and I only have about a dozen Japanese BR-As that offer 24/192. Never seemed worth the bother of an upgrade. I first tried one of the cheapo gadgets from Amazon. It was way too cheap for my taste, so I returned it. The Aten is a quality product and has been playing in my system for several years. With no problems and to my utmost satisfaction.
There is one limitation, though: Once a video source is active, the Aten will reduce the audio signal to CD quality.

Generally speaking, you want to make sure that the HiRes signal actually reaches your DAC before placing an order.

Most high-quality de-embedders like the Extron HAE 100 4K limit the audio signal to CD quality.

OP
R

Rjharle

What I'm doing here is only the playback portion of my plan to transfer my vinyl to digital. Just asking which input would provide the best results.

I intend to use a Raga P3 (Exact cart) turntable, Korg DS-DAC-10R analog to digital converter (DSD256), Audiogate software, and a big fast computer to store it all.

Now if I'm understanding your replay I would be better off just buy a CD because no matter what I do I'll get nothing better than CD quality.

P.S. I do have many vinyl records in Direct to Disc, 1/2 Speed Master, and DBX.

Problem solved, I got the Zidoo Z10 Pro $350.00 and haven't looked back. The unit plays both video and audio (44.1/16 to DSD 256) flawlessly and will interface with your DAC or AVR. With a 14 TB drive (sold separate but fits into the unit) of storage, you can organize your files anyway you want. USB, HDMI and Optical outputs can be configured anyway you want. You can add apps to the unit for extra functions, like Kodi, but you're limited with the streaming apps like HBO Max and alike, the OS is Android 9. I can now turn on my Z10, find (with my remote) and play what ever content I want in any format; you can have the Z10 decode or pass through and have your DAC or AVR decode. The Z10 is invisible to the file, it just decodes the content and transports what you have selected to your DAC or AVR. If you need a Media Player to store, organize and play back into your DAC and AVR, this is the unit in would recommend. Features are added via firmware upgrades.

The downside, is the owner's manual is no help at all; you have to pretty much learn the unit by trial and error. You can't brick the unit because you can always do a factory reset. I found email support very quick and helpful. ([email protected])

P.S I have no affiliation with Zidoo; just a satisfied customer.

Top Bottom