• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI, coax or optical cable - is one more suitable for a long (approx 15 metres) run?

OP
J

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it even an issue in the first place? All @jasonhanjk has provided so far amounts to nothing more than "trust me bro" basically.
Pretty much, was just wondering if there was any logic behind it.

jasonhanjk

Would the same apply to all headphones with a detachable cord, or is it an issue with these 'phones in particular?
Nope, issue only with a few poorly design HP / earphone. Sennheiser HD600 have no such issue due to it's Left and Right + and - terminal are separate and it's possible to use balance amp by changing the cable. The AKG cannot be use with balance amp due to it's poor design.

jasonhanjk

Is it even an issue in the first place? All @jasonhanjk has provided so far amounts to nothing more than "trust me bro" basically.
If you don't like worse crosstalk, then it's an issue.

Do you even understand the technical term star grounding?
Do you know why HP manufacturer design star grounding at the 3.5mm jack?
Do you know why mic return ground is star ground at the 3.5mm jack too?

OP
J

Joffy1780

Nope, issue only with a few poorly design HP / earphone. Sennheiser HD600 have no such issue due to it's Left and Right + and - terminal are separate and it's possible to use balance amp by changing the cable. The AKG cannot be use with balance amp due to it's poor design.
Unfortunately the HD600 are more than willing to spend.
Do you have any measurements of the crosstalk. I must admit I have no knowledge of star grounding or grounding in general, but if the results aren't audible I'm not really concerned.
I found these measurements with a quick Google search - Here
Comments on the crosstalk were 'Electrical crosstalk from the three-wire connecting lead is inconsequential at a level of around -38dB.'

jasonhanjk

You may accept -38dB value. It's not far away from my estimation.

Yes, it's audible and your listening sound stage will be narrow.
Then again if you don't mind, no harm sticking to it.

My current setup is -80dB range so the sound stage is very wide.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I never head problems with Toslink even at 30m and with coupler/splitters connecting multiple cables.
(this i how i used to do multi room audio)

OP
J

Joffy1780

You may accept -38dB value. It's not far away from my estimation.

Yes, it's audible and your listening sound stage will be narrow.
Then again if you don't mind, no harm sticking to it.

My current setup is -80dB range so the sound stage is very wide.
Thanks. The only issue is that I'm not looking to spend more than about £100-150 on the headphones and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of options (not surprising I suppose, given the budget)
Ideally I'd wait a little and up the budget, but we have different priorities on the horizon.
I appreciate the advice though

jasonhanjk

Thanks. The only issue is that I'm not looking to spend more than about £100-150 on the headphones and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of options (not surprising I suppose, given the budget)
Ideally I'd wait a little and up the budget, but we have different priorities on the horizon.
I appreciate the advice though
If you're ok with IEM, give 7Hz Salnotes Zero a try. It's about $20+.

Top Bottom