• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI Cable questions

Rockman2

The system I had was:

Had:

85" Sony Led TV X900h
Marantz SR 8015
Panosonic DP-UB820K
Furman Elite 15 PFI power conditioner
Martin Logan 60XT towers
Martin Logan 50XT Center
Definitive tech Super cube 1
Aim 8 Three rear and side surround.

Dish Network Sat Receiver

I will be doing a new system as the guy that bought my home wanted the system too:

The new one will be similar but some different components:

Denon X4700
Monolith 3 channel
Martin Logan Motion XTC8-HT Rear and Side Surround
2 Martin Logan Dynamo 800X subs
Ferman Elite 20 PFI Power Conditioner
Sony Mini Led 85" tv

I had an issue with this system where the TV would give a message about the HDMI cable. Some times when I powered up the TV would say no signal and I would have a black screen. I believe if I remember the TV would also say there was a problem with the HDMI cable. I would have to turn on the receiver to get signal to get to the TV. Some times this worked and some times I would turn that sat receiver on and off or the whole system reset from the switch on the power conditioner. I also changed the 10' cable to the tv and had the same trouble.

I was told by a high end shop in San Diego that this was some what common. The claimed the new setups AVRs and TV are not talking well the (and I may me saying this wrong but) turn on signal is to quick from the receiver and the TV does not see it. They have fixed this problem by putting in an HDMI splitter in line but leaving the second connection blank. They said this slows the signal just enough for the TV to recognize it. Don't know if this makes sense but the claim it has worked for their customers.

Now I am looking at cables and some have a direction on them. How will that work with eArc. I will use a 4K DVD player and will also stream from the TV so signal will be going both ways. Will these cables limit signal in the opposite direction?

Thanks

formdissolve

Forum Donor
You need at least HDMI 2.0 cables, but new ones rated for HDMI 2.1 are out now too.

Top Bottom