• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI Audio to USB Conversion?

fabien32

I replaced the USB cable to a superior USB cable, and now the sound is about the same

Last edited:

fabien32

A success!
After prolong listening I have to say that sound wise the HDMI is still better.
On one hand i don't like the song transition on the HDMI to iis card, it's not smooth, but the bass is a tiny bit better

RobertDigbe

If correct port we are using, then it will be possible to convert HDMI to USB. Many audio and music systems are now using this conversion i think. Just look modern types of music systems. I found in some brands like haier, samsung etc.

JioMusic App

dougw03

Hello, I stumbled on this thread because I need to extract USB audio from an HDMI stream. Unfortunately I do not have the benefit of having an I2S DAC and am using the Topping D50 so need USB. I did not see a solution which permitted HDMI-->USB Audio extraction in this thread. Does anyone know of any solutions here?

gvl

Major Contributor

dougw03

It can be done but requires a computer in the loop. Your best bet with the D50 is HDMI->SPDIF->D50 (optical or coax). If you mean true HDMI signal. I2S can be sent over HDMI cable but it is not the same as HDMI you get from say a DVD player.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...8lWgTtAmWEoKsuAZaQ7rl5OEnmHy-PhBoCPgMQAvD_BwE

Thanks I was hoping that wasn't my only option. I wanted to extract the audio off of the HDMI stream since I expect it is going to be much higher fidelity than SPDIF. I believe my TV actually has this functionality built in and will just use the SPDIF output.

gvl

Major Contributor
I wanted to extract the audio off of the HDMI stream since I expect it is going to be much higher fidelity than SPDIF.

No, it is not better. Just use the Toslink output from the TV into D50, that's the best you can do.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, it is not better. Just use the Toslink output from the TV into D50, that's the best you can do.

All recent TVs downsample to 48kHz/16bit via optical out, so there is a theoretical benefit to using an HDMI de-embedder, but the difference probably isn’t audible.

gvl

Major Contributor
All recent TVs downsample to 48kHz/16bit via optical out, so there is a theoretical benefit to using an HDMI de-embedder, but the difference probably isn’t audible.

Depends on the source, if you're listening to Apple Music or Spotify there is really no downsampling happening, but resampling 44.1-48kHz, I guess we don't know what the source is in this case.

fabien32

Hello, I stumbled on this thread because I need to extract USB audio from an HDMI stream. Unfortunately I do not have the benefit of having an I2S DAC and am using the Topping D50 so need USB. I did not see a solution which permitted HDMI-->USB Audio extraction in this thread. Does anyone know of any solutions here?
I found that on eBay, and I can't confirm that this will do the trick but it might
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264734878068

gvl

Major Contributor
It has no usb, so how does it help?

It was an example of how you can convert HDMI to SPDIF. To convert to USB output you can then add a USB audio interface with a Toslink input or something like USBstreamer to read it on computer and send to a USB audio device with the help of some audio software, JRiver can do it.

fabien32

It was an example of how you can convert HDMI to SPDIF. To convert to USB output you can then add a USB audio interface with a Toslink input or something like USBstreamer to read it on computer and send to a USB audio device with the help of some audio software, JRiver can do it.
To me it doesn't sounds very simple, and I believe that that Everything should be made as simple as possible. (but not simpler)

gvl

Major Contributor
To me it doesn't sounds very simple, and I believe that that Everything should be made as simple as possible. (but not simpler)

This is an atypical use case, or rather the lack thereof, so a kludge is the only solution.

linuxfan

I received a private message asking about how to get multi-channel HDMI audio to an Okto Researc dac8 PRO. It's a good question. The Okto dac8 PRO is one of only a few commercially available 8 channel DAC's. The other two I'm aware of are the exaSound and Motu. All of these DAC's are intended to be used with USB input, which is fine if your source is computer, but not very useful if your source is a Blu-Ray player or streamer.

I don't have a simple answer, apart from some complicated DIY solutions, but long term it may be worth lobbying these companies to add a direct I2S input to their DAC's. Then an intermediate HDMI extractor device can be used, such as this -
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...-hdmi-mhl-to-i2s-coaxial-optical-p-13419.html

Maybe someone else can jump in with a solution.

Maltman

I received a private message asking about how to get multi-channel HDMI audio to an Okto Researc dac8 PRO. It's a good question. The Okto dac8 PRO is one of only a few commercially available 8 channel DAC's. The other two I'm aware of are the exaSound and Motu. All of these DAC's are intended to be used with USB input, which is fine if your source is computer, but not very useful if your source is a Blu-Ray player or streamer.

I don't have a simple answer, apart from some complicated DIY solutions, but long term it may be worth lobbying these companies to add a direct I2S input to their DAC's. Then an intermediate HDMI extractor device can be used, such as this -
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...-hdmi-mhl-to-i2s-coaxial-optical-p-13419.html

Maybe someone else can jump in with a solution.
Thank you. I realized, for my special HT situation, HDMI to okto is not needed. For highres Video/Audio I want to use a Mac/pc playing from jriver or roon over usb.

All other common sources like Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon or whatever downsample audio to 48 khz/24bit. So I can hook them to my Beamers wireless sender (4 hdmi in, 1 tos out) and go from there to maybe a minidsp 2x8 tos in to 4x rca out into the 4 AES EBU of the okto. As I won’t get highres audio from these sources I don’t have to worry about toslink.

But it’s still interesting to find a diy solution for this.

Edit: For blu-ray players Okto „recommends“ oppo players with vanity extension card on their website. The vanity extension offers 4 RCA outs, which can go also to the 4 AES EBU ins of the okto. Unfortunately used Oppo players became really expensive.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Edit: For blu-ray players Okto „recommends“ oppo players with vanity extension card on their website. The vanity extension offers 4 RCA outs, which can go also to the 4 AES EBU ins of the okto. Unfortunately used Oppo players became really expensive.
Unfortunately, the Vanity is pretty much discontinued (except for the old BDP-93).

Top Bottom