• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI audio extractor with TOSLINK and 24/192 support

atomek

Hello!
There are lots of HDMI audio extractors on market, but I haven't see anywhere someone confirming he was able to get 24/192 audio extracted from HDMI on SPDIF(TOSLINK) connection. I'd like to use Nvidia Shield TV as streaming device with plex, but I don't know if any HDMI audio exctractor would actually work with it (with HD audio)

OP
A

atomek

Thank you, but this one is really too expensive for what it does. There are lots of passthrough boxes around 30$-40$, i was wondering if anyone succeed with one of them for audio extract to TOSLINK. I don't care about jitter, as my DAC anyway does recklocking.

JSmith

Master Contributor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Nowhere does it say it outputs that over the digital outputs. Could very well be that it only supports this on analogue. Licensing prohibits the output of any LPCM data above 48 kHz if I'm not mistaken. Tricky stuff!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Nowhere does it say it outputs that over the digital outputs.
Hmm...
With support for multi-channel audio including Dolby Digital 5.1 via Optical and analogue stereo via RCA connections, this device will ensure an impressive three-dimensional surround sound performance to compliment films, games and music when connected to the audio device. HDMI High Bit Rate audio pass through also allows high-resolution audio files to playback without compression for a flawless music listening experience.
Licensing prohibits the output of any LPCM data above 48 kHz if I'm not mistaken.
Can't one get around that by not copying anything?

JSmith

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I am looking for something low cost just to extract audio from Roku box to my DAC (either coax or optical). YouTube quality audio only.

Anything low cost and good in Amazon?

Thanks!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, but this one is really too expensive for what it does. There are lots of passthrough boxes around 30$-40$, i was wondering if anyone succeed with one of them for audio extract to TOSLINK. I don't care about jitter, as my DAC anyway does recklocking.
You realize you can just run the NVidia HDMI/Roku HDMI into your TV, set the TV to output sound to external speakers, and run a SPIDF/Toslink cable from the TV to your receiver/preamp/DAC? Video will play through the TV, and sound will play through the DAC.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You realize you can just run the NVidia HDMI/Roku HDMI into your TV, set the TV to output sound to external speakers, and run a SPIDF/Toslink cable from the TV to your receiver/preamp/DAC? Video will play through the TV, and sound will play through the DAC.
I thought about that this morning and tried using my TV toslink out.....Sounded decent.....

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must be overlooking something obvious, but TOSLINK audio extraction is a feature of some inexpensive HDMI switch boxes. LPCM output only, but this one claims sample rates up to 192K (no bit depth mentioned)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557
I never attempted to verify sample rates / bit depths, but such a device was very useful when I wanted to play Bluray audio through my Sonos Playbar, which only had Toslink input.

Bamyasi

I've posted it in another thread some time ago. This extractor model works for me, including 192/24 bit over TOSlink (using inexpensive Amazon Basic optical cable). Note, this does not guarantee it will work with your equipment and software but at least it is relatively cheap (and you should be able to return it for full refund if not satisfied).

OP
A

atomek

I can't, I don't have tv but projector (no audio output), regardless of this, I won't like to have to turn on tv/projector just to listen to the music.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't, I don't have tv but projector (no audio output), regardless of this, I won't like to have to turn on tv/projector just to listen to the music.
You should also verify that the audio extractor works without an attached display. I have one that doesn't.

Bamyasi

You should also verify that the audio extractor works without an attached display. I have one that doesn't.
The one I have suggested above (CableMatters) does work, tested and confirmed. I also do not have a TV or AVR and using my Amazon Firestick 4K for music only. HDMI output of the extractor is connected to a 13" portable display w/HDMI input, which I can switch off without any consequences to music playback.

Note, I am not trying to advertise or anything, and I have no connection to CableMatters obviously. But it took me quite some time to research the problem myself since in most cases I had to contact manufacturers customer support directly because this kind of information is often not included in the documentation. I also had to return three extractor models from different brands/manufacturers before finding one that works. So I am just trying to help you to save time and effort.

There is another audio extractor that I have tried myself and which worked as expected. Note, it does not have optical out (only coax) and does not support 4K video (1080p only):

https://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HAECOAX

It is also more expensive ($63.00 @ B&H Photo). KanexPro have some 4K models listed on their website as well but I do not know if they would work at 192KHz at all.

MiLi

Hello!
There are lots of HDMI audio extractors on market, but I haven't see anywhere someone confirming he was able to get 24/192 audio extracted from HDMI on SPDIF(TOSLINK) connection. I'd like to use Nvidia Shield TV as streaming device with plex, but I don't know if any HDMI audio exctractor would actually work with it (with HD audio)
The most affordable extractor is from ebay.com. Im using it mostly for IIS extraction but other otputs are working well too.
20C8D86D-E3F4-44BF-919B-9367DD27F9C5.png

Nango

Major Contributor
HDMI is only up to 48Khz as those Mfr of these cheap converters never pay the license fees to the HDMI.org, the licensing administrator.

MiLi

HDMI is only up to 48Khz as those Mfr of these cheap converters never pay the license fees to the HDMI.org, the licensing administrator.
What I‘m experiencing as output of the extractor is for example bitstream 2,82MHz DSD connected to the DAC by IIS input. Source of the signal is SACD player. This seems to be a little more than 48kHz in your quote, it is equivalent of 24bit/176kHz in PCM.

Attachments

• AED94D25-061F-4981-A38C-49E1B778343B.jpeg
    AED94D25-061F-4981-A38C-49E1B778343B.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 359

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Strumbringer

I've posted it in another thread some time ago. This extractor model works for me, including 192/24 bit over TOSlink (using inexpensive Amazon Basic optical cable). Note, this does not guarantee it will work with your equipment and software but at least it is relatively cheap (and you should be able to return it for full refund if not satisfied).
New member here! I have joined the forum and my first order of business is to give a sincere THANK YOU to @Bamyasi. I have been struggling to enjoy my Blu Ray and DVD-A hi-res music, because my DAC (RME ADI2 DAC) was only receiving 16/48 or sometimes 24/48 resolution from my Blu Ray player. I had purchased an HDMI extractor and had no luck. Someone on another forum directed me to this thread on this forum and I bought the Cable Matters extractor and boom!! Now I finally have the proper 24/96 resolution that was intended by the discs. Extremely happy to have resolved this and greatly appreciate the guidance provided by @Bamyasi !

Top Bottom