• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI audio extractor with TOSLINK and 24/192 support

Fench

I've posted it in another thread some time ago. This extractor model works for me, including 192/24 bit over TOSlink (using inexpensive Amazon Basic optical cable). Note, this does not guarantee it will work with your equipment and software but at least it is relatively cheap (and you should be able to return it for full refund if not satisfied).
Thanks a bunch for this tip, @Bamyasi. Now streaming Zappa at 192/24 through a Sony blu-ray player with separate HDMI audio-only output. The Cable Matters extractor sends that signal flawlessly by Toslink to my RME DAC (pic attached). All lower sample rates and bit depth work fine, too.
I think the Cable Matters extractor is currently sold out, but the J-Tech Digital JTD18G-H5CH might be the same - having looked at the build and specs superficially.
Another happy new member here!

Attachments

• 20220129_085619.jpg
    20220129_085619.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 150

jevchance

I can confirm the J-Tech is limited to 48-bit. Wondering if the Cable Matters box will ever come back in stock!

jevchance

I emailed Cable Matters and they said the extractor has been discontinued. What a shame.

Hi John,
Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Cable Matters!
Unfortunately, this unit has been discontinued and is only open to bulk orders (1000 plus units).
We appreciate your message and please feel free to reach out with additional questions.
Regards,
Ryan

Fench

I emailed Cable Matters and they said the extractor has been discontinued. What a shame.
I bought the J-Tech Digital JTD18G-H5CH as a spare and tested it. Mine goes up to 192 kHz and 24 bit, and supports all lower sample rates and bit depths as well (192, 176.4, 96, 88.2, 48, 44.1 kHz and 24, 16 bit); same as the now discontinued Cable Matters 4K. You should set the EDID switch to 5CH to get sample rates above 48 kHz.
This very same extractor seems to be available with the following brands as well:
  • Monoprice Blackbird 4K
  • OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0
  • Vanco HD4KAE 4K
According to a reviewer on Amazon: "This is a rebranded HDV-MB01 with a GSCoolink GSV2002." (Whatever it means.)

jevchance

I bought the J-Tech Digital JTD18G-H5CH as a spare and tested it. Mine goes up to 192 kHz and 24 bit, and supports all lower sample rates and bit depths as well (192, 176.4, 96, 88.2, 48, 44.1 kHz and 24, 16 bit); same as the now discontinued Cable Matters 4K. You should set the EDID switch to 5CH to get sample rates above 48 kHz.
This very same extractor seems to be available with the following brands as well:
  • Monoprice Blackbird 4K
  • OREI HDA-912 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0
  • Vanco HD4KAE 4K
According to a reviewer on Amazon: "This is a rebranded HDV-MB01 with a GSCoolink GSV2002." (Whatever it means.)
I'm running the same unit and cannot get it to output above 48KHz via optical to my Marantz PM7000N. Source is a Fire TV Stick, which outputs 192/24bit to my Marantz SR6013 AVR just fine.

Fench

TV audio signals are standard 48 kHz. Could it be that the optical input you're using on the PM7000N, is set as TV audio source? I took a quick look at the user manual of the PM7000N and read something about that. If such is the case, the PM7000N might downsample the signal from the extractor from 192 to 48 kHz.
Please keep the EDID switch of the extractor at 5CH.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir just tested a cheapy that seems to work well if you're using a external DAC.

jevchance

TV audio signals are standard 48 kHz. Could it be that the optical input you're using on the PM7000N, is set as TV audio source? I took a quick look at the user manual of the PM7000N and read something about that. If such is the case, the PM7000N might downsample the signal from the extractor from 192 to 48 kHz.
Please keep the EDID switch of the extractor at 5CH.
Hey @Fench, thanks very much I appreciate your willingness to help out.

I'm using the input "Optical 1". From my understanding, it's limited to 96KHz by the Marantz. The Fire TV Stick is plugged directly into the J-Tech, then optical is run directly to the PM7000N.

I think I have the DIP switch currently set to 2CH, I tried 5CH and it was the same result but I'll give that a try again.

I'm wondering, is it possible the Fire TV Stick is selecting a bitrate based on what it detects are the capabilities of the TV over HDMI? I was under the understanding that SPDIF is unidirectional, so the receiver is not capable of sending it's capabilities back to the sender?

Bamyasi

Hey @Fench, thanks very much I appreciate your willingness to help out.

I'm using the input "Optical 1". From my understanding, it's limited to 96KHz by the Marantz. The Fire TV Stick is plugged directly into the J-Tech, then optical is run directly to the PM7000N.

I think I have the DIP switch currently set to 2CH, I tried 5CH and it was the same result but I'll give that a try again.

I'm wondering, is it possible the Fire TV Stick is selecting a bitrate based on what it detects are the capabilities of the TV over HDMI? I was under the understanding that SPDIF is unidirectional, so the receiver is not capable of sending it's capabilities back to the sender?
Try also setting your FireStick to PCM: go to Settings->Display&Sound->Audio->Surround Sound and select PCM option. Then set the DIP switch on your extractor to 5.1 (7.1) and you will get up to 192 kHz signal output from the Amazon Music HD app. Unfortunately, this does not work with most other FireStick apps and for pretty much everything else audio would still be resampled to 48 kHz/2ch.

Fench

Only if the HDMI out of the extractor is connected to a TV and the extractor's EDID switch is set to TV, the TV's EDID are passed through the extractor to the Fire TV Stick, which adapts its audio and video output accordingly. If you don't use the extractor HDMI out or if you set the EDID switch to 5CH or 2CH, the extractor sends its own preset EDID to the AV source/stick.

jevchance

Only if the HDMI out of the extractor is connected to a TV and the extractor's EDID switch is set to TV, the TV's EDID are passed through the extractor to the Fire TV Stick, which adapts its audio and video output accordingly. If you don't use the extractor HDMI out or if you set the EDID switch to 5CH or 2CH, the extractor sends its own preset EDID to the AV source/stick.
I do have HDMI attached to a TV, the goal is to use the AMHD app on the FireTV so I can see album art on the TV.

Thank you both for the info. I didn't get a chance to tinker last night but I have some things to try out tonight.

jevchance

Well I have some good news and some bad news. Bad news first: I tried a number of permutations but could not get the Fire TV stick to output anything other than 48KHz while connected to the J-Tech box. The good news: I ordered in the Amazon Basics extractor and it connected up at 24/192 on the first try! The configuration is unchanged between the two boxes, both set to 5.1ch and connected to the same TV, so I suspect the J-Tech I received is hardwired to 48KHz.
D42E9DA9-E5E1-4EF4-9880-2649C2E9B7A4.jpeg

Fench

Well I have some good news and some bad news. Bad news first: I tried a number of permutations but could not get the Fire TV stick to output anything other than 48KHz while connected to the J-Tech box. The good news: I ordered in the Amazon Basics extractor and it connected up at 24/192 on the first try! The configuration is unchanged between the two boxes, both set to 5.1ch and connected to the same TV, so I suspect the J-Tech I received is hardwired to 48KHz.
View attachment 224632
Well done. The good news cancels out the bad. Can you please post links to the exact J-Tech and Amazon Basics extractors you ordered?

jevchance

Fench

Sure thing.
Thanks John. I hooked up my extractor on a master-slave power strip which is controlled by my stereo amplifier. If i'm right, the Amazon Basics extractor defaults to 2CH mode after power off and back on; correct me if i'm wrong. Does it also output 192kHz, 24bit in 2CH mode?

MCH

Major Contributor
View attachment 224632
I can confirm that the amazon basics extractor output amazon music ftom fire stick always 24/192 no matter the original sample rate. Don't know if this is good or bad, but it is what it does.

jevchance

I can also confirm that. The other thread on the Fire Stick makes note that everything is upsampled to 24/192 when the unit detects that capability. As long as it's implemented properly, that upscaling should not matter. I think.

I have not tried 2CH mode but I will give that a test today.

Yeah the soft switch is kinda a bummer, I leave mine on all the time so it shouldn't impact me much.

DavidK442

Forum Donor
I can confirm the J-Tech is limited to 48-bit. Wondering if the Cable Matters box will ever come back in stock!
An old post but wanted to follow up. I sent an email to JTech regarding JTD18G-H5CH2 and they confirmed “Yes, this device supports audio sample rates up to 192kHZ.”

Top Bottom