• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI audio bandwidth

rsl360

What's the forward audio bandwidth of hdmi? I can only find information about the bandwidth for ARC and eARC. But that's the Audio Return Channel, and it seems to me that it's not in use if you have a AVR. If one has a video/audo source that feeds an AVR, then it's the audio signal that travel with the video that matters. The audio is pulled out by the AVR, and the video goes on to the display.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know HDMI can at least carry 8-channels (7.1) of uncompressed 24-bit/192k of digital audio.
Not sure if that answers your questions.

OP
R

rsl360

I know HDMI can at least carry 8-channels (7.1) of uncompressed 24-bit/192k of digital audio.
Not sure if that answers your questions.
Yes, but how do you know that? I cannot find that spec. anywhere. I can find it for eARC, but I don't think I care about that. What I want to know is if can get full uncompressed audio on a non-8k input. I only have one 8k input on my receiver. Do I need one for my blue ray player? I know it will work pretty well without an 8k input, but will I get the best sound?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually from HDMI 2.0, it’s 32 channels up to 1536 kHz.

It’s all on the HDMI Wiki page, there is even a table.

OP
R

rsl360

Actually from HDMI 2.0, it’s 32 channels up to 1536 kHz.

It’s all on the HDMI Wiki page, there is even a table.
Thanks. I looked at that before but it was not really clear to me. But looking at it again, I think I get it. 8 channel if you max out the sample rate on each channel, or more channels if you limit you sample rate, up to a max of 32 channels. It seems to be agnostic about how the data is stored in each channel, or maybe that's specified elsewhere. And as you said, 2.0 and 2.1 have the same audio specs. So I don't really see much need for 2.1, at least in my case. Thanks.

Top Bottom