• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI and DACs not evolving

bungle

If you want pre-outs, it starts to cost a lot, and even then, only unbalanced RCA.
The Marantz CINEMA 70s is quite affordable with around $1000, price tag.
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 23.22.17.png

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
The Marantz CINEMA 70s is quite affordable with around $1000, price tag.
If he wants decent room EQ he should look elsewhere as it only has Audyssey MultEQ, which is basically crap.

JSmith

Master Contributor
In addition to an FIR filter with short delay and slow roll-off characteristics, an RDOT filter with natural timbre and sound field reproducibility based on analogy completion technology using fluency theory is available for the digital filter, which can be said to be the key to tone.
In combination with up-conversion, subtle differences in sound nuance varies by type of filters are realized.
:facepalm:

JSmith

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Indeed he did;
If Essence can do this for $649 there is no reason other companies can't.

Essence's specs are quite over the top though compared the the real data from the AP;

JSmith
Agreed. If this tiny company could afford the licensing all we're asking is for them or someone else to do the same thing that's done by this product, except with more DAC channels and perhaps better overall SINAD performance.

tom_tom

In the meantime I'm using this dac / extractor ( link below ) for 26 $ and it's doing it's job. I can Connect it with ARC, output on RCA and change volume from TV remote. I'm wondering why it cannot be integrated by bigger brands if that company( and few others ) can do it in this price.

HDMI + one analog input of this would be dream come true

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
In the meantime I'm using this dac / extractor ( link below ) for 26 $ and it's doing it's job. I can Connect it with ARC, output on RCA and change volume from TV remote. I'm wondering why it cannot be integrated by bigger brands if that company( and few others ) can do it in this price.
Could it be because they're not allowed to if they're HDMI certified?

Multicore

Major Contributor
I am also wondering why there are hundreds of hdmi extractors, splitters, switchers with earc and stuff, why cannot you have it in DAC.
Given my experience with these products I have assumed they are unlicensed and unreliable and come and go on the market rapidly. A part of the market for OEM semiconductors, assemblies etc. is a bit sketchy and I guess batches of finished products can go on Alibaba and end up on Amazon etc. with brand names you never heard of that disappear later. For these commercial operations the HDMI licensing cops aren't much of a threat. But for a company like Topping or MiniDSP that's trying to build a business based on long term development of trust in their brand, it wouldn't make sense to poke the HDMI licensing cops in the eye.

I'm just guessing, btw. I don't have evidence of any of this.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Cabbase just released interesing device with HDMI.
The lack of even basic specs let alone measurements makes me cautious;
SPECIFICATIONS
Usage On shelves
Amplification 2 x 215 W RMS / 4 ohms
Size 2 x 120 W RMS / 8 ohms
Dimensions (h x l x p) 24,5 x 9,7 x 22 cm
Total weights 3,5 Kg
Finishing Black Satin
Not to mention it's "weight" and "finish", not weights and finishing... "size" is strangely out of place. This is described as a technical sheet;

JSmith

kschmit2

[...]

Not to mention it's "weight" and "finish", not weights and finishing... "size" is strangely out of place. This is described as a technical sheet;

JSmith
I assume those are just poor translations from French:

"poids" (which is used in plural form in French) translated to "weights" (plural) instead of "weight" (singular), same for "finitions" which ought to be translated to "finish" or "finishes", but was instead translated to "finishing".

The Manual correctly uses "weight" btw.

tom_tom

Arylic released B50 Amplifier

Product typeAmplifier
Amplification typeClass D
InputsBluetooth 5.2
1* USB-C
1* USB-A (USB Host)
1* Optical Toslink
1* Stereo RCA line input
1* Stereo RCA Phono input (MM/MC)
1* HDMI ARC
OutputsBluetooth 5.2
Speaker terminals
1* RCA subwoofer output
Bluetooth version5.2
Supported Bluetooth codecsSBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD
Output power2*50W @ 4Ω, 24V
2*30W @ 8Ω, 24V
Frequency response20Hz - 20kHz
THD+N< 0.1% @ 1W, 1kHz
SNR> 93dB
Line input level2Vrms
Subwoofer output level3Vrms
Subwoofer output cutoff frequency250Hz
General
Supply voltage24V 4.16A (Included)
Dimensions (L*P*H)185*155*50mm
Weight900g
ColorBlack

Roland68

Major Contributor
Arylic released B50 Amplifier

Product typeAmplifier
Amplification typeClass D
InputsBluetooth 5.2
1* USB-C
1* USB-A (USB Host)
1* Optical Toslink
1* Stereo RCA line input
1* Stereo RCA Phono input (MM/MC)
1* HDMI ARC
OutputsBluetooth 5.2
Speaker terminals
1* RCA subwoofer output
Bluetooth version5.2
Supported Bluetooth codecsSBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD
Output power2*50W @ 4Ω, 24V
2*30W @ 8Ω, 24V
Frequency response20Hz - 20kHz
THD+N< 0.1% @ 1W, 1kHz
SNR> 93dB
Line input level2Vrms
Subwoofer output level3Vrms
Subwoofer output cutoff frequency250Hz
General
Supply voltage24V 4.16A (Included)
Dimensions (L*P*H)185*155*50mm
Weight900g
ColorBlack
Great device at a great price.

But, they would sell X times more units if they added a connection for an external DAC and 2.1 preamp outputs.
Then they could not only have marketed the device as a Bluetooth stereo amplifier, but also as the perfect ARC 2.1 center with all connection options... :facepalm:

Lambda

Major Contributor
Hey,

Why is the companies like miniDSP or any DAC's outside of AVR's lack the basic support for,

- HDMI in (to extract audio witth HDMI enabled functionalities , decode DD, Atmos , volume controls via CEC etc.)
- Optical Outs (external DACS etc used. -> where the hell is the devices with optical outs. my TV has one thank god.)

i have no use for AVR but i would like the HDMI improvements provided. Seems that the DACs are not evolving according to the mainnstream useability. if only the miniDSP or similar would accept the standards my life would be much easier.
I would say you are looking for a different device then a DAC.
You need a Digital to Digital DSP device Something that converts HDMI and USB inputs to Optical Outs (or i2s or AES )

This would replace a mediocre performing expensive AVR and you could uses what ever chap DACs you want or active speakers with digital input.

but this is not happening because of anti consumer DRM Decoders

bungle

Great device at a great price.

But, they would sell X times more units if they added a connection for an external DAC and 2.1 preamp outputs.

External DAC can be connected to Line In (just for 2.0 though)? It has 0.1 preamp output. Yes, I would rip off power amps and change them with line outs (and change line outs to balanced XLR). Definitely an interesting product.

MCH

Major Contributor
While this is stereo only, it won't be different to an arc audio extractor+DAC/amp combo imo. The specs are not stellar either, 0.1% thd+n @ 1w 1khz... what is limiting there, noise? Probably better served with extractor + loxje a30a...

Top Bottom