• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI 2.1 transition - AV receivers and owners facing challenges

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you don't do it, there is a great chance the audio and video will go out of sync. By routing everything through the AVR, the chance of this is eliminated.
Audio only gets out of sync when I run the data through my normal DAW setup (for Dirac Live) while watching a Blu-Ray, thankfully, that is easily fixed by setting the delay in Power DvD.

I never noticed any desynchronization when using my UBP X700 player though. Latency is far more annying to deal with in video games. Setting the buffer to 128 samples helps but it's still not perfect.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Aerith, an OT question since i see you've got the same tv as me......
did the latest updates solve the excesive showing of the source bar (upper 1/5th of the screen) for you? on mine it stil lingers there for too long after switching sources

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Latest addition to the HDMI spec. Version 2.1a: Source-Based Tone Mapping (SBTM)

Source-Based Tone Mapping (SBTM) enables the source to send a video signal that takes full advantage of a specific display’s HDR capability by adjusting its output to take better advantage of each display’s potential. As with other HDR technologies, rather than adopt a fixed set of color and brightness ranges, SBTM allows the Source to adapt to a specific display. SBTM can also be used by PCs and gaming devices to eliminate manual user optimization for HDR.

SBTM doesn’t replace existing HDR technologies such as HDR10, HLG and HDR dynamic metadata systems. Instead, SBTM adds an additional HDR capability to HDMI-enabled products, offering consumers additional high-quality viewing experiences.

I'm guessing this will be another case where the implementation of the 2.1a "standard" is optional, so consumers will have yet another feature they need to research carefully.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Was the transition from the 1.4 to 2.0 standard this convoluted and untested/opaque?
HDMI is not my field, I am just an interested (and somewhat frustrated) observer. But, based on my observations of a dozen or two different devices, yes. For example, you have to tell several of my components (AVP/VRs, TVs) if they are using 1.4 or 2.0, or use a different HDMI port, or they won't work properly. HDMI seems to leave interop testing to manufacturers "from the beginning" and the specs IIRC are pretty loose and vague. My day job involves serial data devices (PCIe/SAS/SATA) that are much better defined. But, I am an analog guy, not a protocol guru.

OP
Technomania

Technomania

Forum Donor
Latest addition to the HDMI spec. Version 2.1a: Source-Based Tone Mapping (SBTM)

I'm guessing this will be another case where the implementation of the 2.1a "standard" is optional, so consumers will have yet another feature they need to research carefully.
They actually quickly removed the moniker "2.1a" after the original publication. It was the shortest public spec I have ever seen. :D

OP
Technomania

Technomania

Forum Donor
Was the transition from the 1.4 to 2.0 standard this convoluted and untested/opaque?
No. There were some bugs, but nowhere as many issues as 2.1 transition hae been experiencing. The main problem are untested and uncertified repeater chips in AVRs.
I have graphics card from AMD and LG TV, both with HDMI 2.1 ports at 40 Gbps and it all works fine with direct link. I will not buy a new AVR or AVP until HDMI Forum releases certification protocol and all future AVRs are tested and ceritified before coming into the market. That's basically what Yamaha is waiting for right now in order to roll out 2.1 firmware to 2021 models.

upraj

I've never understood why I should pipe all my video data through my AVR. It does not make sense to me. Even my 4K UHD player has 2 HDMI outs: One for audio, one for video, if the user so chooses. Which I do, because my AVR is too old for HDMI 2.0.

I use two connections, one to my TV (that serves as monitor) and one to my AVR for multichannel audio. Only issue can be latency but with ASIO buffer sizes of ~ 128 samples, that's a non issue.
I do exactly that, any good or decent 4K player will have two out, as a matter of fact, I do own a laser 4K projector and I do not want AVR to meddle with that signal, also when I will upgrade my player to 2.1 with actual content, then I will upgrade the Projector and cables, leaving the audio part intact.

I would love the idea of only audio processors to decode those channels. I think they should just do AR's :D as well, instead of AVR's.

Top Bottom