• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI 2.1 AVR + AMP Dilemma

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Realistically, I am looking to spend < $700 on a 2 channel power amp - was priced out a Rotel 1552 MKII for < $1,000 and Marantz MM7025 < $700. Just having a hard time spending much more than that on top of the AVR at ~$1,500. The main reason for going down from Denon 6700 to 3700/4700 was to save $ by pairing those models with a 2 channel amp and with the belief I'd get a better overall setup by going that route.
Credit to @CDMC since I'm cutting and pasting his post from another thread
--------
I am a Hypex/Purifi convert.

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/product-page/p252-stereo-250-watt-power-amplifier

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-mp-nc500-stereo-power-amp-in-black

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-13545.html
Edit: fixed last url

Last edited:
OP
M

Mitch16

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am in the U.S. so looking to purchase domestically to save on shipping.

Rizzle

The Audiophonics is within your price range even after shipping. I don’t think you are going to find a better amplifier for that price domestically. VTV is an American company that makes amplifiers based on the same modules, they are cheaper, but I’ve seen a lot of negative feedback so I would rather recommend March/Nord/Audiophonics.

superczar

Any recommendations on a 2 channel power amp?
I swapped out an old Marantz Integrated (PM17 KI) with a crown xls2502 on a Denon X3500
Doesn't measure particularly well on the SINAD metric ( i think amir reviewed the xls1502) but has dollops of power and costs quite a lot lower than your budget.
To my bronze (or maybe tin) ears, I can't really hear a difference.

Looking at your use case, If I were you, I would have picked the cheapest model (with XT32 as the lower threshold, esp as you plan to use 2 subs) and plonked the money saved there on external amps - if not for any perceptible SQ differences but for reducing the load on the AVR at full load

Technomania

Forum Donor
I am a gamer so having an AVR that has a HDMI 2.1 compatible port is a must. I was originally planning to buy the Denon x6700h and be done with it, but after reading of some issues that model had with a capacitor affecting performance on the ASR forum the other night, I am debating whether that is my best option.

Update from another discussion thread

HDMI 2.1 chips and boards update:

1. First gen of chips
Panasonic Solutions offered two versions of silicon:
a) Denon/Marantz - one input 40 Gbps port - hardware change imminent due to a bug in the silicon
b) Yamaha lower models-multiple ports-performance unclear until new software; alleged 24 Gbps (8K60 B)

2. Second gen of chips
Analog Devices (attached) & others - Trinnov engineer: chips perform better; unclear how much better?
a) Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra - multiple 40 Gbps and 24 Gbps ports - Q3 2021
b) Steinway Lyngdorf - HDMI 2.1 board upgrade for owners Q3-Q4 2021 (Analog Devices 40 Gbps)
c) Trinnov AV processors - testing 40 Gbps; if happy, release in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022
d) Yamaha high tier models are delayed - swapped first gen for second gen of chips?

3. Third gen of chips - 48 Gbps - in design - due late 2022 or 2023?
a) Trinnov hopes to implement this, if not happy with 2nd gen chips (Cypress Tech. designs boards)
b) others?

Top Bottom