• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI 2.0+ Receiver/Processor with full Dirac Live recommendations?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So.. I’m in the market for either a receiver or processor with Dirac Live. My goal is to get the full Dirac package so that I can EQ my space 20-20,000hz. I’ve read Amir’s reviews of the Arcam AV40 and SDP-55 and am now at a loss as to what route I should go, as I was heavily considering the Arcam AVR30, which i assume uses the same processor as the AV40 but includes their Class-G amps. If my goal is to buy a receiver or processor that has the full Dirac Live suite (and actually works) what should I be considering? I’d be open to considering receivers with Audyssey+App if they can EQ the full audible spectrum, I honestly don’t know if they can or not.

From my basic research, the updated/refurbed XMC-1 seems to have modern decoding plus full Dirac plus balanced outputs. The only real detractor i saw was Amir’s finding that it somehow muted output below -90db..

At this point as a consumer, I really don’t know what I should be considering, can someone help a brother out?

Rxw

I'm very happy with my XMC2 despite what so many people say around here about Emotiva. The latest firmware (2.1) is stable, fast and bug free in my setup and sounds amazing.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Please excuse my ignorance, but, what are the main differences between the XMC-2 and the refurbished XMC-1 with 4k board and latest firmware?

dougi

I would be very interested in this too. I was previously considering upgrading my Lyngdorf DPA-1 with Roomperfect to a TDAI-2170 with HDMI option but not now after the 3170 review. What about the new NAD M33? You can upgrade the Dirac LE that comes with it.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Also very much considering just getting a Denon x3700 and calling it a day. I have some other good amps I can use to offload a 2-4 channels and I’ve heard Audyssey XT32 can do most of what Dirac does if you’re willing to get the app and spend some time on it.

TimoJ

If my goal is to buy a receiver or processor that has the full Dirac Live suite (and actually works) what should I be considering?
If it actually needs to work and have Dirac (with DLBC), then the Monoprice HTP-1 is the only option (unless you are willing to go to much higher price class).

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also very much considering just getting a Denon x3700 and calling it a day. I have some other good amps I can use to offload a 2-4 channels and I’ve heard Audyssey XT32 can do most of what Dirac does if you’re willing to get the app and spend some time on it.
Both systems will need time + effort to dial in if you want full-range correction. Otherwise it takes 15 minutes to get good results with bass corrections with Audyssey, a bit longer with Dirac.

Make sure you test different cutoff points. Once you get your full-range dialed in, try limiting the corrections to 1 kHz then listen. If it sounds better, drop it to 750, then 500, 400, 300...or wherever you stop hearing improvements. For me currently it's at 350 Hz with XT32. This assumes you already have good speakers that don't need a lot of correction other than what the room does to bass.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Timo, is Arcams implementation of Dirac a complete one? I’m able to buy the AVR30 at a good price, but after reading Amir’s review of the AV40 I’m not sure.. I know it’s crazy to compare a Denon receiver that costs $1,100 to a receiver that costs 4x as much, but please humor me.

TimoJ

Timo, is Arcams implementation of Dirac a complete one? I’m able to buy the AVR30 at a good price, but after reading Amir’s review of the AV40 I’m not sure.. I know it’s crazy to compare a Denon receiver that costs $1,100 to a receiver that costs 4x as much, but please humor me.
It's complete (full audio bandwidth), but if you want also Dirac Live Bass Control, you need to buy an extra licence for it. (same also for the HTP-1)

But since you mentioned actually works, then you should read AVS Forum user comments about it (or same firmware JBL model). Arcam/JBL still seems to have "issues" and some users are not so happy how things are going or how fast problems are solved.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
The more I read, the more convinced I am that if I want to have a great experience out of the box, I should just go with the Denon and plan on spending some time with the Audyssey app to get it dialed in.
With the app, can you see the in room frequency response per channel and make adjustments to the target curve for each? Or do you just give it one goal target curve and it will try to make it happen for all channels?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The more I read, the more convinced I am that if I want to have a great experience out of the box, I should just go with the Denon and plan on spending some time with the Audyssey app to get it dialed in.
With the app, can you see the in room frequency response per channel and make adjustments to the target curve for each? Or do you just give it one goal target curve and it will try to make it happen for all channels?
Per speaker pair, yes.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Excellent, appreciate your guys help very much.

One more Denon question, since it wasn’t that clear from the reviews I’ve read. Does “preamp mode” disable ALL of the internal amps? Or is it possible to tell the receiver that you want to just disable certain amps if you have others to use? Like, I have a PS Audio Trio 100 that I would like to use either to bi-amp my center or run my front L/R, can I disable those specific amps in the Denon setup to allow more headroom for the others? Or is it all or none?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preamp mode disables all internal amps. You must use the preouts and your own amps for all of your speakers.

That gives me a thought: that would be a quick shortcut to an all-active speaker system. Although, I wouldn't want to run bulky RCA cables to all of my surround speakers, not to mention all of them having their own power cables.

Gui0507

So.. I’m in the market for either a receiver or processor with Dirac Live. My goal is to get the full Dirac package so that I can EQ my space 20-20,000hz. I’ve read Amir’s reviews of the Arcam AV40 and SDP-55 and am now at a loss as to what route I should go, as I was heavily considering the Arcam AVR30, which i assume uses the same processor as the AV40 but includes their Class-G amps. If my goal is to buy a receiver or processor that has the full Dirac Live suite (and actually works) what should I be considering? I’d be open to considering receivers with Audyssey+App if they can EQ the full audible spectrum, I honestly don’t know if they can or not.

From my basic research, the updated/refurbed XMC-1 seems to have modern decoding plus full Dirac plus balanced outputs. The only real detractor i saw was Amir’s finding that it somehow muted output below -90db..

At this point as a consumer, I really don’t know what I should be considering, can someone help a brother out?
The Rotel RSP-1576 MKII comes with the full version of Dirac Live. It’s working well for me, I gave up my HTP-1.

Masza

The Rotel RSP-1576 MKII comes with the full version of Dirac Live. It’s working well for me, I gave up my HTP-1.

Would be interesting to see measurements for that Rotel. I would miss XLR outputs though.

Gui0507

Idk if I would go by these reviews, all these pre-amps would be trash. Most of this stuff is inaudible. I go by my ears and this one sounds much better than my Marantz I had before and the HTP-1. I don’t think you would miss XLR much unless you are going over rather long distances, my experience with the HTP-1 having XLR and the Rotel does not, the pre-amp and amp are running 2m interconnects. It seems some people rather see it in a graph rather than hear it.

Urgo

Forum Donor
Idk if I would go by these reviews, all these pre-amps would be trash. Most of this stuff is inaudible. I go by my ears and this one sounds much better than my Marantz I had before and the HTP-1. I don’t think you would miss XLR much unless you are going over rather long distances, my experience with the HTP-1 having XLR and the Rotel does not, the pre-amp and amp are running 2m interconnects. It seems some people rather see it in a graph rather than hear it.

Better both, objective scientific measurements and hearing, but the most reliable will always be the same.

Vasr

Major Contributor
There is no cost-effective way to get a separate pre/pro + amp combination for a multi-channel set up other than a good measuring AVR.

At the $6000+ combination level. HTP-1 or AVM60 combined with a good 3 channel amp + 7-8 channel surround amp would be options and can be more flexible (and individually upgradable) than a all-in-one at that level.

The Rotel is too new to get confidence. They can't even update their product page with pictures of the new models (re-using the old version photos with screw missing on the PCB). The dealership network in the US is limited, I don't see a mail-order option.

Gui0507

There is no cost-effective way to get a separate pre/pro + amp combination for a multi-channel set up other than a good measuring AVR.

At the $6000+ combination level. HTP-1 or AVM60 combined with a good 3 channel amp + 7-8 channel surround amp would be options and can be more flexible (and individually upgradable) than a all-in-one at that level.

The Rotel is too new to get confidence. They can't even update their product page with pictures of the new models (re-using the old version photos with screw missing on the PCB). The dealership network in the US is limited, I don't see a mail-order option.
I got mine at Best Buy magnolia av. There are also numerous dealers online that have them. I bought and paired it with Rmb-1585 and got about 10% off retail and additionally 50% cables and power conditioner. The sound I’m getting is much better now than the Htp-1.

Top Bottom