• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hdi-3800 VS r11 VS , Any experiences?

lookstoomuch

Back story: Started with Dynaudio Contour 1.8MKII, until recently a friend gave me some B&W 801 Matrix S2. The B&W were a big enough improvement with controlled big bass that I sold the Dyn's BUT, the 801's have history with after market crossovers (loudspeakerchef.com), tweeters replaced with the LPG, 26NA car audio, and one of the woofers rebuilt. A Frankenspeaker and....they are uglyy

I currently am trying some HDI-3800's which are fun / lively. Bass is much more accurate and clean than the BW's and imaging also much improved. The caveat I think I'm experiencing however is the very directional nature, i.e. a "pocket" which once you get in but which quickly falls off.

Listening Room: 50/50 audio / HT, MLP 9.5 feet away. Sidewalls are almost non-existent for initial reflections. It is a big basement room so want to fill it with sound.

Scored a pair of R11's open box for pretty cheap from Big Box store. Are these even worth trying vs the HDI-3800? Any other recommendations? I believe Revel F-208 would be a nice choice but can't seem to find any at a good price locally and the F-206 I don't think would fill the space.

TIA for your feedback.

20230506_141613.jpg

OP
L

lookstoomuch

Thanks both, saw the first shootout....did not see the second. Looks like the 3800's are no slouch.

Since I had the R11 on hand, in somewhat of a rush went ahead and hooked them up yesterday evening and was about to report back how much I disliked them, that they were lacking a fullness to the sound, etc. , however today I thought, no way KEF would make a speaker that poorly performing and double checked things and see I reversed the polarity on one of them. DOH!

I'll do a bit more listening tonight to see if anything really grabs me about them one way or the other.

OP
L

lookstoomuch

Without going into too much details, the R11 have been returned. The 3800 at least to my ears, sounded more integrated top to bottom.

Wish I could find some Revels to try as a compare / contrast to the JBL's before the return window is up.

Can get some F206 from a local supplier open box but those I don't think will give me the SPL's I'm looking for.

norman bates

Forum Donor
You may prefer the jbl's 2.5 way design (basically an 8" 2-way with a 12" baffle step woofer) over the 3-way revel's midbass crossover point.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
L

lookstoomuch

That’s interesting, given Erin’s observation about different instruments imaging at different heights, which echoed some comments by Dr. David Rich about an Infinity 3-way with relatively high woofer-mid crossover.

I think it’s entirely possible that some people hear height better than others.

I should have been more clear, what I meant was in frequency response, which perhaps is more to the 2.5 way design as mentioned by norman. With the R11 I seemed to be able to localize the UniQ drivers.

Top Bottom