• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD800s Powered by Apple M1 MBP...What am I losing by not using a more powerful amp?

Urushi

I've been experimenting with my DX3 Pro + and my Apple M1 14" MBP. I've used a decibel meter to attempt to match volume. I can't really hear a difference. Am I losing detail or something by using the computer only?

Zensō

Major Contributor
I've been experimenting with my DX3 Pro + and my Apple M1 14" MBP. I've used a decibel meter to attempt to match volume. I can't really hear a difference. Am I losing detail or something by using the computer only?
Not likely. I’d expect the sound to be the same unless you need more volume.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not likely. I’d expect the sound to be the same unless you need more volume.
Yep. The HD800s is a very light load due to its high impedance. It just needs more voltage to play as loud as other headphones with low impedance, but as long as it plays loud enough for you there is nothing to gain with a "better" amp.

OP
U

Urushi

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it.

Top Bottom