• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD6XX + x470-f mobo?

illusineer

I have a HD6XX on the way (found a good deal), I don't know a lot about audio equipment, but I have used HD598s for years and they are a good match to my mobo. Will x470-f be sufficient for the 6XX or will it impede the sound quality? If it's not enough then I'm able to shoot some more dollars at an amp and a dac or combo, but I don't want to spend more than $150 on those if it's not super imperative to making them sound loud and clear.

3125b

Major Contributor
Will x470-f be sufficient for the 6XX or will it impede the sound quality?
Well, you're likely not gonna be very happy with that setup, the main board audio just doesn't have enough power to provide good dynamic with those 300 ohm headphones.
With my K702 I can reliably tell the difference between my onboard sound (Crosshair VI Hero) and my Atom+E30 combo ... or even my iPad.
The high output impedance won't matter too much though as far as frequency response is concerned.
In wich country do you live?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have a HD6XX on the way (found a good deal), I don't know a lot about audio equipment, but I have used HD598s for years and they are a good match to my mobo. Will x470-f be sufficient for the 6XX or will it impede the sound quality? If it's not enough then I'm able to shoot some more dollars at an amp and a dac or combo, but I don't want to spend more than $150 on those if it's not super imperative to making them sound loud and clear.

Try it, when it doesn't go loud enough for you just buy a JDS labs Atom, Schiit Heresy or Topping L30 and use the line out of your mobo.
This is below $150 and guarantees impressive sound.

3125b

Major Contributor
You might as well try it as is, but adding just a 99$ headphone amp (Schiit Heresy or JDS Atom for example) will make an audible difference. Schiit has a 15 day money back guarantee, try it out.

OP
I

illusineer

Try it, when it doesn't go loud enough for you just buy a JDS labs Atom, Schiit Heresy or Topping L30 and use the line out of your mobo.
This is below $150 and guarantees impressive sound.
if my mobo isn't good enough, would just an amp be enough or would I need both an amp and a dac?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using the ASUS Z370-E with the SupremeFX S1220A CODEC. In the ASUS software you will find adjustments for the headphone matching. One is to adjust for impedance and the design is rated for 600 Ohms. I too have been using the HD 598SR and find there is just enough power but there has been rare tracks that could use more power. As per your new HD6XX and a new amp I suggest you wait till after you test drive the headphones on the motherboard. If you want a amp @solderdude covered the options. You could use a USB DAC running off your motherboard if you want to upgrade that later.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found ASUS motherboard headphone impedance sensing details in the "RealTek Audio Console."

ScofieldKid

Yeah, what they said. I have a Z490 here with the ALC1220 (Gigabyte), and it does the 3-levels thing. On my HD600's, which are 300ohm, it gets loud enough for me, and sounds pretty good. But yeah, if you want to take a step up, maybe take a look at the Schiit Hel, or even JDS Element II.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
if my mobo isn't good enough, would just an amp be enough or would I need both an amp and a dac?

Just an amp will be just fine. The used 9018 DAC chip is just fine.

Top Bottom