• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD650 any better than 660

Kevbaz

Hi,
I currently use Sennheiser HD660s which my wife bought me for Christmas last year. I think she went with that model assuming higher the number the better it is.
I like the sound of the HD660s runnng of either my Mojo or more recently Hidizs S8, but there seems to be more favour on reviews towards the HD650, would there be anything to gain by getting a HD650.
The music I listen to most is female vocals such as Enya, Norah Jones and others.
Cheers
Kevin

Leporello

Here's my take: you will find an endless variety of opinions about the differences between HD600, HD650 and HD660 (not to mention differences between headphones in general). Most of them are just that, no more valid than your liking your current phones. There will always be a sneaking suspicion that something else might be better than what you have. Just stop it. Enjoy you current headphones if you like the sound of them.

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Hi Leporello, I like your thinking. At what point do you stop, and swapping headphones can be expensive. Since lurking and recently joining this forum I have decided that I can’t hear the difference between two decent DACs (mojo and Hidizs s8) so have no need to upgrade there, unless I do it out of fun or hobby.
The Hidizs S9Pro is tempting to replace my S8 but out of fun :)
But agree if I like what I’m hearing now, why upgrade the headphones.
I love listen to the music but also like the hardware side, been from an electronic engineering and IT background I like to tinker :)
Mayb I should focus on listening to music through the HD660s and swap out DACs/amps to satisfy the hobby/tinker side of me. With the relatively low cost but high performance usb DAC dongles I can do that cheaply.
Cheers
Kevin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Leporello, I like your thinking. At what point do you stop, and swapping headphones can be expensive. Since lurking and recently joining this forum I have decided that I can’t hear the difference between two decent DACs (mojo and Hidizs s8) so have no need to upgrade there, unless I do it out of fun or hobby.
The Hidizs S9Pro is tempting to replace my S8 but out of fun :)
But agree if I like what I’m hearing now, why upgrade the headphones.
I love listen to the music but also like the hardware side, been from an electronic engineering and IT background I like to tinker :)
Mayb I should focus on listening to music through the HD660s and swap out DACs/amps to satisfy the hobby/tinker side of me. With the relatively low cost but high performance usb DAC dongles I can do that cheaply.
Cheers
Kevin
Nope. Change the sound by experimenting with EQ on your phone /PC before the dac. Assuming any given dongle gives your cans enough juice you will gain nothing from mix and matching them.

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Nope. Change the sound by experimenting with EQ on your phone /PC before the dac. Assuming any given dongle gives your cans enough juice you will gain nothing from mix and matching them.
I need to go down the EQ route and thanks to ASR forum I have some good resources to read and suggested software, I’m also looking at DACs that have EQ built in.
funnily when I was a student 20+ years ago my hifi had EQ :) then I got influenced by the HiFi mags.
Cheers
Kevin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to go down the EQ route and thanks to ASR forum I have some good resources to read and suggested software, I’m also looking at DACs that have EQ built in.
funnily when I was a student 20+ years ago my hifi had EQ :) then I got influenced by the HiFi mags.
Cheers
Kevin
Qudelix 5k then.

sushi2020

What a wonderful gift. Please take good care of it.
There are some differences, but HD660 is by no means inferior to HD650.
Keep it and be happy with EQ!

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

I’m very lucky to have an understand wife :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Do what I did, get both and keep the one you like better.

I started with these two last week:

751DEE15-C73E-49A9-8284-287F3A76C2CC.jpeg

Returned the HD650s. Then got the Sundaras:

7CE42BAB-19D1-4F9A-BE84-D917E0709908.jpeg

Finally got the DCA AEON 2 Noire and ended the week down the rabbit hole with three pair of GREAT headphones:

F56E6853-F669-4499-9871-88DEE093888A.jpeg

My point is: if you already have the HD660S, then get the HD650s and compare them yourself. To my ears, the HD660S sounded cleaner, are easier to drive, the finish is also nicer, it comes with 2 headphone cables and much better packaging. Just my 2 cents!!

Zensō

Major Contributor
The HD6 series of headphones are all very similar. I’ve owned them all and eventually kept the 660. I could be happy with any of them though. Each can be made to sound nearly identical to the others with just a touch of EQ. If you’re itching to buy another headphone, maybe look at something different to complement your 660 such as the Sundara or one of the Beyers.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
For OTG, nothing like Qudelix-5K if you want EQ. For home, you should get a beefier amp. Topping L30 or A30Pro would be my recommendation.

Top Bottom