• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD650 and ADI-2 PRO balanced mode

DonDish

Does anyone here have experience with this combo and running HD650 in a balanced fashion from ADI-2 PRO? I have just ordered two original HD650 cables, some Neutrik TRS and 4-pin XLR´s to do the conversion. My idea is to solder together an adapter 2 TRS - XLR4 to connect any balanced HP and finally connect a XLR4 to HD650 cable

I would love to get some thoughts and ideas on anything from cable mod to if this project has any meaning whatsoever

o7_brother

As someone who has owned that stuff, the HD650 does not need the balanced mode whatsoever.

Even after the negative pre-amp gain of my EQ profile, I had tons of headroom left with the regular SE cable.

If you want to try it for fun, go ahead, but there is zero practical benefit unless you have some extremely low sensitivity heaphones.

OP
DonDish

DonDish

As someone who has owned that stuff, the HD650 does not need the balanced mode whatsoever.

Even after the negative pre-amp gain of my EQ profile, I had tons of headroom left with the regular SE cable.

If you want to try it for fun, go ahead, but there is zero practical benefit unless you have some extremely low sensitivity heaphones.
Thats just about what I thought too. A 3db rise in SNR from already excellent is probaly not worth the time or investment. So its a fun project, but I have a loose plan of getting a pair that could actually benefit from the rise in current and power. So its also an investment in future projects. I have a pair of Fostex T50RP, but my skills need some honing before I start soldering on the mylar.

Top Bottom