• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD58X frequency response investigation

blank001

I thought these drop continuously like the 6xx?

At any rate, I have a 23700 serial and hit "join drop" for it on Nov 14th 2018 which is 6 days before the OP. Don't have any other HD6 series to compare.

It sounds balanced to my neophyte ears (on an atom).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only measurements can tell.
The differences are small and you need a reference to compare it to.

Could be the Most likely the one that the OP had was the odd one out and merely got caught by the OP's hearing issue at the time (I hope for him)
Could be that production was slightly changed so it differed more in SQ from other models ?
I find the channel matching too good for the quite measurable change (less audible than measurable) for this to be a fluke.

Could be that during production driver matching is done (would be relatively easy to do) and thus there are some variances in tonal balance between headphones but not between L-R matching.

Could be a change in production line, could be on purpose, could be production spread, could be the odd one out, could be cost cutting, could be a change in sound signature to differentiate between models a bit more.

I really can only take a stab at it untill I measured 1 or more higher serial numbers. (which I now did hence the strikethroughs)
On the other hand.. if you like how it sounds than that should be the leading factor.

Edited end June 2019

Last edited:

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting thread. I have these headphones and like them a lot. HD600s used to be my favourites, but now I find myself listening to these. I have also had HD650, HD700 and HD800.

Sin Hizer

Mine were purchase on 11/25 and the serial number starts with 015XXX. Doesn’t sound like they would qualify.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea how the serial number thing works.
There seems to have been some misunderstanding from day one.
Some really insisted on getting a serial number below 50 which they did not get or returned them to get a lower number.
25/11 is after 14/11 so ... can't be 100% sure.

Most likely a storm in a glass of water though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Mine was an early production version # 52XX (end 2017)

blank001

Do you think that if there were a silent revision, the change is consistent with an attempt to make it look more like your `modified 58x`? Or does it look like an attempt in a different direction?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks to fellow ASR member @Skies, who kindly sent me his Romanian made HD58X, I can (fortunately) say the headphone @Graph Feppar owned (he returned it and got refunded) seems to be an outlier and not a silent product change.
The headphone Skies sent me was a regular order from Massdrop (so not a cherry picked sample)

This is based on the HD58X sent to me by @Skies which measures (and sounds as well as looks) the same as the original one that I received for my review. Below original HD58X (Irish made) and the current (2019 Romanian made) HD58X.
romanian-vs-original-hd58x.png

As can be seen they measure closely the same. Based on these very few measurements it looks like there has been NO silent revision nor does there seem to be cuts in quality now that these are made in Romania.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 58X Jubilee have just won the vote to be reviewed very soon by RTINGS. We will see tons of measurements about these.

The ones they won't show you (time domain and electrical for instance) can already be found here

mi-fu

Forum Donor
The ones they won't show you (time domain and electrical for instance) can already be found here

Hi solderdude, I read your write-up on modding the 58x to be more akin to 660s. It is good to hear that the latest batch of 58x is also suitable for modification. Thank you for providing such useful info.

My question is: From your comparison, will a 58x (or a mod 58x) be worthwhile to be added into my setup?

I currently have HD6xx, Hifiman HE4xx, Focal Clear. I like the sound of Clear most. But I also like the "comfy" sound of 6xx. HE4xx is a bit tiring to my ears. I understand that the difference between 6xx and 58x is not very significant, thus I have such a question.

Or any other headphone (open or closed) you would recommend, around US$200 range, to complement my setup? (I definitely prefer headphones which are comfortable). The headphone will be driven by Massdrop THX 789.

Much appreciate your help!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
From your comparison, will a 58x (or a mod 58x) be worthwhile to be added into my setup?

I don't think so. The HD58X is good for the price and has its merits but it is low priced for a reason.
With the described mods you can get it closer to a HD660S but it won't be the same.
The difference between HD58X and HD6XX is small but not insignificant. The HD6XX is smoother and 'clearer' sounding and has 'softer' yet a bit more treble and clarity.

The HE4XX can be 'fixed' in the 'tiring' part, at least when the treble peak is causing the fatique.

I would stick with the Clear (that one also is well over $200)

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I don't think so. The HD58X is good for the price and has its merits but it is low priced for a reason.
With the described mods you can get it closer to a HD660S but it won't be the same.
The difference between HD58X and HD6XX is small but not insignificant. The HD6XX is smoother and 'clearer' sounding and has 'softer' yet a bit more treble and clarity.

The HE4XX can be 'fixed' in the 'tiring' part, at least when the treble peak is causing the fatique.

I would stick with the Clear (that one also is well over $200)

Thanks @solderdude

I already have the Clear. I also bought it after reading your review :). And I absolutely love it.

I was just wondering if the 58x would give a different taste. I think I better look at something else. Thanks for your advice again!! :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's weird about it ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom