• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD58X frequency response investigation

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I love HD650,the whole HD6X0 family is my favorite group of headphones.

So take the refund and get what you like, instead of the one you ordered, thinking you will like it.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

So take the refund and get what you like, instead of the one you ordered, thinking you will like it.

That is wise thinking but the measurement show that normal HD58X is like HD660S with more bass.I slightly prefer HD660S to HD650.

Since I heard HD660S,and HD580X is identical in mids and treble,then its not really thinking what I would like,its knowing I will surely like it.If the measurements shows they are the same from 1 KHz up,do I have to really try HD58X directly? I cant imagine bass heavy HD660S to NOT sound amazing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
do I have to really try HD58X directly?

At this point, "yes" is the answer that comes to my mind, since, from what I have read, you didn't try it before purchase, and the pair you recieved, you don't like.

I dont think the HD58X sound as good as the 660 S does, having had both, The 58x sound closer to a 650 to me, and not quite as good as that either. They sound great for 150 bucks, mine didnt have the issues that OP described, they just sounded quite dull (same problem I have with 650). I had one of the under 500 serial numbers as well.

The 660 S is the best of the 6xx line IMO, and the best sounding reference headphone in general for music (movies and games I would give it to the Dt1990). It is worth the extra money, even with EQ I never got either the 58x or 650 to sound as good.

Look forward to seeing solderdudes measurements, maybe there are some defective ones out there, might explain why there are a few really bad reviews in the middle of mostly positive ones.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

The 58x sound closer to a 650 to me

What HD650 version you heard? I heard 4 new and 1 old silver box one but it was in brand new condition.None of them sounded anything like my 58X,the old version silver box 650 was much darker and more veiled,but it still sounded good and normal.It had great crisp transients,very precise but small soundstage and big thickly distorted bass hump,it sounded little too muddy and veiled but the soundquality was amazing,best mids I ever heard.

My 58X was ultra veiled even compared to the old driver silver box 650, it had no imaging precision like cheap closed cans and the transient crispness was completly gone.

What HD650 version you heard? I heard 4 new and 1 old silver box one but it was in brand new condition.None of them sounded anything like my 58X,the old version silver box 650 was much darker and more veiled,but it still sounded good and normal.It had great crisp transients,very precise but small soundstage and big thickly distorted bass hump,it sounded little too muddy and veiled but the soundquality was amazing,best mids I ever heard.

My 58X was ultra veiled even compared to the old driver silver box 650, it had no imaging precision like cheap closed cans and the transient crispness was completly gone.

I had the 6xx from Massdrop. i thought it sounded pretty good out the box but after a few weeks it sounded quite dull. Most likely do to the pads compressing, though I did not expect them to do so as fast as they did. Bass on 650 has a kind of bloom to it that I dont like personally. The 58x didnt have the bloom in the same way but it sounded even more muddy and treble wasnt as clean. Still was not harsh in anyway just pretty dull. Like the 650 I thought it was too warm which made voices sound slightly off to me.

660s sounds cleaner than both 58x and 650 and not muddy in anyway. No bloom in the bass and highs have a better presence without being harsh in anyway. Voice also sound more natural, though still a little warm which makes them more pleasant.

I found that neither the 6xx or the 58x were very good for metal/rock, they especially fell short with Symphonic metal and I listen to mostly those genres. Guitars have almost no bite to them and it made for a very boring experience. In contrast the 660 s makes my heart rate skyrocket when listening to rock/metal due to it having a more aggressive presentation.

I would say both the 650 and 58x are for laid back listening and the 660 s is for active listening.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Let's just see what comes out of the measurements.
When something is really wrong with it Massdrop will deal with it properly.
When it turns out he just doesn't like it's sound I will buy it from him or put it up for sale (modified or not).

Working on an update of the modification manual anyway and can't hurt to include a comparo between early and later production models.

graz_lag

Major Contributor

The tooling thru your measurements Massdrop can get from you is of great help to them to keep some pressure on their suppliers ...

graz_lag

Major Contributor
"Storm in a tea-cup" comes to mind.

Thanks to the Return & Refund policy, one can buy almost anything on the internet ...
However where is the logic to buy headphones - for which the rule is "test them with your amp when possible before buying" - from a vendor who does not accept return ...
Ohh ... sub-branded ones "en plus" ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
When it turns out he just doesn't like it's sound I will buy it from him or put it up for sale (modified or not).

Working on an update of the modification manual anyway and can't hurt to include a comparo between early and later production models.

This is a great service you’re doing for everyone! I’m curious about what, if anything, is going on. Love a good mystery.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Now the customer support told me that I must return the headphone.The customer support Cheynne first told me I can keep the defective headphone and asked me if I want refund or replacement.Since I was still considering getting another HD58X I asked Cheyenne if I could wait to think about it and Cheyenne told me I can wait 3 more days to make my mind.

Today I decided to make the safe choice and get refund but this time Cheyenne was out of work and I got some David Q who told me I must send them back first and that whatever Cheyenne told me previously doesnt count.

I hoped I could salvaged the headband and earpads to make up for the shipping losses to me and to Solderdude and also the import tax so I am little saddened,but I am still happy to get refund.Should have not waited and told Cheyenne right then that I want refund lol,these HD6X0 pads are pretty valuable.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Now the customer support told me that I must return the headphone.The customer support Cheynne first told me I can keep the defective headphone and asked me if I want refund or replacement.Since I was still considering getting another HD58X I asked Cheyenne if I could wait to think about it and Cheyenne told me I can wait 3 more days to make my mind.

Today I decided to make the safe choice and get refund but this time Cheyenne was out of work and I got some David Q who told me I must send them back first and that whatever Cheyenne told me previously doesnt count.

I hoped I could salvaged the headband and earpads to make up for the shipping losses to me and to Solderdude and also the import tax so I am little saddened,but I am still happy to get refund.Should have not waited and told Cheyenne right then that I want refund lol,these HD6X0 pads are pretty valuable.

... you can't have chicken, eggs and warm ass ... or politer : "have your cake and eat it too" ... :cool:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Graph Feppar,
Nothing should be wrong you must return hardware to get a refund but feel sorry for you when in first place they told something else with less overall costs and loss, respect whatever new cans you decide go for and from whatever retailer but could hope for its possible save up for those 660S you love so much and also maybe shopping from a local or near region distributor will benefit most in the long run, for now look forward what analysis at solderdude's lab will tell.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see no problem at all with being asked to return goods in order to get a refund or replacement. That is entirely sensible and reasonable. What is infuriating is to be told different things by different members of the team.

KR8NUX

If there is a HD58X on for sale now I would like to jump on it. But depends on where it is from, and whether it can be shipped to Singapore.

I had the 6xx from Massdrop. i thought it sounded pretty good out the box but after a few weeks it sounded quite dull. Most likely do to the pads compressing, though I did not expect them to do so as fast as they did. Bass on 650 has a kind of bloom to it that I dont like personally. The 58x didnt have the bloom in the same way but it sounded even more muddy and treble wasnt as clean. Still was not harsh in anyway just pretty dull. Like the 650 I thought it was too warm which made voices sound slightly off to me.

660s sounds cleaner than both 58x and 650 and not muddy in anyway. No bloom in the bass and highs have a better presence without being harsh in anyway. Voice also sound more natural, though still a little warm which makes them more pleasant.

I found that neither the 6xx or the 58x were very good for metal/rock, they especially fell short with Symphonic metal and I listen to mostly those genres. Guitars have almost no bite to them and it made for a very boring experience. In contrast the 660 s makes my heart rate skyrocket when listening to rock/metal due to it having a more aggressive presentation.

I would say both the 650 and 58x are for laid back listening and the 660 s is for active listening.
For me 58x are great for metal, i prefer them over my floorstanders for listening to Pantera or Metallica and i will keep them just for it (i found Pantera eq very... hmm problematic, like on "this love" when theres a very distorted sound similar to over powering speakers but it is recorded that way) Thing the Op wrote are far away from my experience with this headphones and from pictures i would say that they are just broken.

Top Bottom