• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

HD58X frequency response investigation

I thought these drop continuously like the 6xx?

At any rate, I have a 23700 serial and hit "join drop" for it on Nov 14th 2018 which is 6 days before the OP. Don't have any other HD6 series to compare.

It sounds balanced to my neophyte ears (on an atom).

solderdude

Major Contributor
Only measurements can tell.
The differences are small and you need a reference to compare it to.

Could be the one that the OP had would was the odd one out and merely got caught by the OP's hearing issue at the time (I hope for him)
Could be that production was slightly changed so it differed more in SQ from other models ?
I find the channel matching too good for the quite measurable change (less audible than measurable) for this to be a fluke.

Could be that during production driver matching is done (would be relatively easy to do) and thus there are some variances in tonal balance between headphones but not between L-R matching.

Could be a change in production line, could be on purpose, could be production spread, could be the odd one out, could be cost cutting, could be a change in sound signature to differentiate between models a bit more.

I really can only take a stab at it untill I measured 1 or more higher serial numbers.

On the other hand.. if you like how it sounds than that should be the leading factor.

soundwave76

Patreon Donor
Interesting thread. I have these headphones and like them a lot. HD600s used to be my favourites, but now I find myself listening to these. I have also had HD650, HD700 and HD800.

solderdude

Major Contributor
I have no idea how the serial number thing works.
There seems to have been some misunderstanding from day one.
Some really insisted on getting a serial number below 50 which they did not get or returned them to get a lower number.
25/11 is after 14/11 so ... can't be 100% sure.

Most likely a storm in a glass of water though.

Hugo9000

My pair shipped from Massdrop on February 14 of this year. The serial number begins 019XXX.

solderdude

Major Contributor
Mine was an early production version # 52XX (end 2017)

Do you think that if there were a silent revision, the change is consistent with an attempt to make it look more like your `modified 58x`? Or does it look like an attempt in a different direction?

Top Bottom