• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD 800 vs HD 800s

bloodevil

Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of buying a new headphone and after a long search and your advices I've decided to pull the trigger on the 800 series.
Now reading about these 2 headphones I seem to understand that they only differ in tuning, is that correct?
So basically my question is: if I EQ them to the same FR are they basically the same headphone? I'm interested in this because someone is selling a mint condition HD 800 for 600 eur which is quite cheaper than a new (or used) 800s.
Thanks in advance for your responses :)

Skinner001

I haven't owned an 800 series headphone, but have heard the 800, 800s and 820 on occasion (though not long and consistently, so take this with a grain of salt). I would say you are correct, if you can get a good condition 800 for a good price it's the way to go. They lost some value because the audiofool mindset works in your favor here - a lot of people who don't look at measurements have convinced themselves that the 800s are head and shoulders above the 800. I think you can get the 800 to sound how you'd like them to sound with EQ and if you want to explore a bit more you could mod them (though I don't really see a necessity for it).

I'm sure some owners will be better positioned to give advice though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of buying a new headphone and after a long search and your advices I've decided to pull the trigger on the 800 series.
Now reading about these 2 headphones I seem to understand that they only differ in tuning, is that correct?
So basically my question is: if I EQ them to the same FR are they basically the same headphone? I'm interested in this because someone is selling a mint condition HD 800 for 600 eur which is quite cheaper than a new (or used) 800s.
Physically the same on the ear (v comfy), tweaked the electrical /mechanical in the 800S. I have the 800 for the same reason you are interested (good second hand price) and haven't tried the S. I'm sure EQ by the same measurer (let's say Oratory) will get them to basically the same place. My understanding is that distortion levels are different at different points on the spectrum but neither are high distortion headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800 (mine) vs HD800S (owned for a while at the same time) on the exact same test fixture.

hd800-vs-hd800s.png

The HD800S is HD800 with a resonator in the middle 'sucking' the 6kHz peak a bit lower.

Distortion is different in the bass area (2nd harm) but both below audible thresholds in that region.

I too bought 2nd hand HD800 and did not regret it.
The treble peak is easy to get rid off.

Check the condition of the headband foam and pad foam.
Possibly they need replacement which is quite expensive when using original parts.
Also... you might not like the stock cable, it is stiff as f#. Note that aftermarket cables for HD800 are also very expensive.

Good luck... excellent headphone with a bit of EQ.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
HD800 (mine) vs HD800S (owned for a while at the same time) on the exact same test fixture.

hd800-vs-hd800s.png

The HD800S is HD800 with a resonator in the middle 'sucking' the 6kHz peak a bit lower.

Distortion is different in the bass area (2nd harm) but both below audible thresholds in that region.

I too bought 2nd hand HD800 and did not regret it.
The treble peak is easy to get rid off.

Check the condition of the headband foam and pad foam.
Possibly they need replacement which is quite expensive when using original parts.
Also... you might not like the stock cable, it is stiff as f#. Note that aftermarket cables for HD800 are also very expensive.

Good luck... excellent headphone with a bit of EQ.
I got some genuine pads for I think £50 so still worth getting for right price compared to 800S as long as functionally sound.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Original ones from Sennheiser is € 72,- for the pair (incl shipping)
The headband padding is € 30,-

This could make an older HD800 a good € 100,- more expensive than it seems.
It could well be worth looking around.

Here's 1 original and 2 aftermarket pads. The blue trace looks exactly like the original ones. The red one looks and feels quite different (leather and much thicker)
hd800-pad-tests.png

Have not tested any other pads (like Dekon, Vesper Audio and others).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,
I modded mine with the Dupont mod, and, based on what Tyl (remember Tyl?) reported, that should make them have virtually the same tuning as the 800S. The mod cost around $20. Guy on SBAF sells it, and I'd highly recommend it. It takes around 5 minutes to do, is completely reversible, and will in no way damage your resale value. What it does is insert a helmho;z resonator into the ear cup to counteract a resonance in the frame of the cup. EQ alone will not fix that, but EQ is also needed to change from Sennheiser's diffuse field tuning to the Harman curve.

Once you do all that, you'll have one formidable beast of a headphone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Enjoy your day everyone.
Cheers

You (well actuallly Major Hifi) is mixing up -10dB spec of HD800S vs +/-3dB spec for HD800. ;)

Acc. to Sennheiser HD800:
14 – 44.100 Hz (- 3 dB)
6 – 51.000 Hz (- 10 dB)

Enjoy your day and realize fact checking is important before necroing a 1 year old thread with misinformation in your first post. ;)

Lonestar 166

You (well actuallly Major Hifi) is mixing up -10dB spec of HD800S vs +/-3dB spec for HD800. ;)

Acc. to Sennheiser HD800:
14 – 44.100 Hz (- 3 dB)
6 – 51.000 Hz (- 10 dB)

Enjoy your day and realize fact checking is important before necroing a 1 year old thread with misinformation in your first post. ;)
Thank you for correcting me. Your advice has been taken.

coptician

I will also warn about the supplied cable. Not only is it bulky, it's also prone to physically creaking at the post-split parts.

I got a cable made by Hart Audio (in my case a custom one that turns the HD800S into a single-sided 'phone), and it's way thinner and more flexible. Might feel less premium, but in truth it simply is.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Requires a modification of the headphone itself ?

markanini

Major Contributor
Not sure it that's a good deal or not, but there's a reversible mod that makes a HD800 measure very close to HD800S.

coptician

Requires a modification of the headphone itself ?
Assuming this is re: the cable, it does not.

All I did was run the right side up to the headband by the back of the left earpad, across the headband and down the other side the same way. It's not super pretty, and I just hold it with some fabric cable ties, but it's convenient and comfy. In black it's not TOO ugly imo.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not sure it that's a good deal or not, but there's a reversible mod that makes a HD800 measure very close to HD800S.

Just like the HD800S there is still a bit too much of a treble peak even though it is lowered, and thus improved over the stock HD800, it isn't lowered enough.
EQ remains needed so other than the change of color and balanced cable.

madmalkav

I recall buying a balanced cable with single point adapter for my HD800 in Drop for far less than the price they usually retail for, so waiting for such an offer is also an option. It will always be expensive compared to other cables as the connectors are pretty rare and expensive.

PS: I see Linsoul have a cable for $59, given the price of the connectors I don't think it can get lower than that

Last edited:
Top Bottom