• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD 6XX vs. Fidelio X2HR

weasels

I am extremely tempted to but a pair of Fidelio X2HR. I do most of my listening these days through HD 6XX (using Topping D10/Schiit Magni 3).

Is there any point in buying the Philips cans? Or should I save myself $115?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I am extremely tempted to but a pair of Fidelio X2HR. I do most of my listening these days through HD 6XX (using Topping D10/Schiit Magni 3).

Is there any point in buying the Philips cans? Or should I save myself $115?
Maybe, maybe not. I've got both. The 6XX is better, but requires eq and more power [needs more power because of the eq]. The sound of the X2HR isn't quite as good as the 6XX [my subjective opinion], but the Philips headphones are happier with my low-power DAP. I find both plenty comfortable, but the Philips earcups are bigger. Your DAC/Amp combo ought to be more than good enough for both headphones. I've got uses for both, I don't know if you will.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No spare parts are available for the X2HR, not even the pads.

X2HR has more bass and more treble presence and has a bit less 'presence'. Can have a sharpish 'edge' but has better 'imaging' so insturments are easier to pinpoint and better defined. Easier to drive directly from a phone.

The HD6XX has a better timbre of you like warmish mids and slightly subdued treble. Parts are available and a huge aftermarket stuff is available.

The HD6XX is 'safe' and a good performer. The X2HR is more 'lively' more 'fun' and deeper bass and more treble.

OP
W

weasels

I think I might be sold just based on bigger earcups. I wear headphones 4+ hours a day and I have some big old earflaps.

Bob-23

I clearly prefer the soundstage/imaging performance of the X2HR over the one of my HD600 - tonequalitywise (in a narrower sense) the Senns are better.

It's more fun to listen on the X2HR, for instance Jazz, for classical I prefer the clarity of the Senns.

Both like (need, to my mind) some eq. When eq'd, the treble of the X2HR are no problem anymore, at least to my ears. Oratory1990 work s well for me.

HD6xx:
"They have a decent passive soundstage. The soundstage is natural and speaker-like, but it isn't perceived as being very large or located outside of the listener's head. Due to their open-back design, they have a more open and spacious soundstage than headphones with a closed-back design."
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-6xx
X2HR:
"The Philips X2HR have a very good passive soundstage. Thanks to their open-back design, their soundstage is very spacious and open and music is perceived as being in front of you as opposed to inside your head."
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/fidelio-x2hr

Kastlez

I find that they are worth the money. All the reviews I've read are accurate and correlate with my real world experience. I do not know if you want to switch up with what you have already though.
Good luck

brachypelma44

The main point of buying them would be to drive them with a portable device, IMO. I don't find that they sound much different with desktop EQ/amp vs running them directly off of my tablet.

Last edited:

CausticStorm

Forum Donor
I would look at the 9600 series instead, the X2HR are more of a "V" sound headphones , very good on bass..but sometimes I prefer to take them off my head and listen with 9600 instead. They are both in the same price-range, comfortable, detachable cable, but they don't sound alike.

Ymmv.

Top Bottom