• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD 6XX distortion?

weasels

I think that listening test ruined me.

I think I'm hearing distortion with my HD6XX headphones in the bass and sub-bass registers. I'm using PEACE to EQ and have the automatic clipping protection on. If I boost anything below 200hz I think I am hearing distortion during low transients like kick drums.

Is this a known issue or has anyone else experienced this? Or am I imagining things?

I'll reclaim some of my other cans from my kids later and see if I hear the same thing with other phones.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think that listening test ruined me.

I think I'm hearing distortion with my HD6XX headphones in the bass and sub-bass registers. I'm using PEACE to EQ and have the automatic clipping protection on. If I boost anything below 200hz I think I am hearing distortion during low transients like kick drums.

Is this a known issue or has anyone else experienced this? Or am I imagining things?

I'll reclaim some of my other cans from my kids later and see if I hear the same thing with other phones.
This will depend on the excursion distance the headphones can handle in those registers at that sound pressure level. I have experienced something like that, but when boosting the < 100 Hz about + 6 dB or more. It could an engineering limitation due to the design itself, so nothing more than not boosting as much can be done if you want to avoid this.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I use hardware EQ and have not experienced any distortion in the bass.
20Hz +6dB, 40Hz -1dB, 50Hz 0dB.

overkilly

I used to use Peace, remember it's better to lower everything else rather than increase a level, if you are boosting certain frequencies then lower the preamp accordingly so a peak doesn't exceed the 0 line - you'll need more volume but should have clean sound.

Top Bottom