• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having trouble with Dante AVIO AES3/EBU Adapter and Foobar2000

ClaytonJ2

I'm trying to use a Dante to get ethernet to coax audio to supply a PCM signal to a DAC. I have a music server PC running Dante Virtual Sound card and Dante Controller. If I play a file in Foobar2000 that matches the bitrate I set the computer and the Dante receiver at, no problem. But if I play a file with a different bitrate, the transmitter (DVS) bitrate changes but the Dante receiver's bitrate does not automatically change. Also, the computer will go up to 24 / 192, but the Dante receiver only goes to 96. In foobar I added a dsp "resampler (PPHS)". It's set to convert everything to 96k. I play a variety of bitrates and formats. Problem solved? No, it only works for bitrates divisible by 48, not 44.1. For that, I need to change the bitrate of the PC, the Dante, and the resampler to 88.2. Why's this got to be such a pain? There's got to be an easier way.

Can the receiver be made to change it's format automatically? Can the computer be limited to go no higher than 96 and resample as needed? Or is there a different firmware for the Dante that will allow it to go up to 192? Or is there a smarter Dante receiver? Any solution needs to be on the lower end of the price spectrum, please.

OP
C

ClaytonJ2

Got an answer from Audinate support:
"Hello Clayton,
If you want a device that will change the sample rate automatically, Focusrite is the only company I know that offers Sample Rate Follow. Their software allows you to setup a device to be the master sample rate, and all the other devices stay in line with that one.
Otherwise it is a manual change every time.
You can create a preset in Dante Controller to load for each one, but that's the only workaround we have. "

OP
C

ClaytonJ2

I've set the bitrate to the max supported by the device, 96k, and left it there the past couple days. I was concerned about math errors with 44.1 (*2 = 88.2, not 96), but not sure I'm hearing it. I think it sounds better than USB. I'll feel more confident in making an assessment once I have some guests with better ears than mine to listen test. More later...

sajunky

Bitrate and a sample rate are different things. Bitrate is just an indication how much bandwith is required for transmission. There are two basic sample rates: 44.1kHz (CD standard) and 48kHz (DAT and some 'pro' equipment) and their multiplications. Changing between these bases require more CPU time and quality get degradated little bit.

I read it few times and I still can't figure out your problem. Foobar may report sample rate before conversion. I have changed status to the %samplerate% in the status bar, just in case you didn't do it.

If you hear quality problems, try a different resampler plugin, maybe this: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,67373.0.html

OP
C

ClaytonJ2

The sample rate does not change, it's always 24-bit. The bitrate changes on the source to match whatever file is played. But the target, the network attached AVIO device, is not capable of automatically changing with the source. I tried the resampler at your link, the source (computer) bitrate still changes when different files are played. I tried 4 different resampler plugins and the old PPHS one is the only one that I could set the bitrate to a particular number and it wouldn't change when different files are played. I'm sure I'm missing something, but there's just the one setting for the bitrate.
1565880196520.png

OP
C

ClaytonJ2

The sample rate does not change, it's always 24-bit. The bitrate changes on the source to match whatever file is played. But the target, the network attached AVIO device, is not capable of automatically changing with the source. I tried the resampler at your link, the source (computer) bitrate still changes when different files are played. I tried 4 different resampler plugins and the old PPHS one is the only one that I could set the bitrate to a particular number and it wouldn't change when different files are played. I'm sure I'm missing something, but there's just the one setting for the bitrate.
View attachment 31406

As to where the computer bitrate is set, and then changes once a file is played, that is in Dante Controller. Dante Controller is the program that is used to configure and link devices on a Dante network. If the source and target bitrates do not match, the devices can't link successfully. The target is not capable of changing bitrate on its own, it must be set in Dante Controller. The source bitrate changing when different files are played causes the link to fail.

ben446

Any thoughts on the sound quality of the Dante dongle? How might it compare to something like the microrendu?

ben446

It turns out the Dante USB dongle I was looking at only does 48K - Never mind :(

Top Bottom