• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're cause by cancellations, usually. The reflected wave interferes with the direct wave. If you boost one, you boost the other.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Thanks so much ernestcarl for your help its much appreciated, yes, I'm not too sure what that "weird room-induced negative bass shelving" is myself lol. If I were to grab myself a miniDSP would I just need the normal 2x4 or the HD? I would prefer to use filters on an external device, if you don't mind how would I set this up, would I also needs some amplification in the output chain.

The room acoustics, placement and positioning has a significant impact on the bass. I would simply move the speakers and listening position around until you find the best position -- measurements and subjective listening are your tools.

Assuming you are going to use active/powered studio monitors a miniDSP 2x4HD would be fine. Amplification is only required if you will be using passive speakers like the Kef LS50. The old miniDSP 2x4 has lower SINAD and has no digital inputs -- others say it's okay for subwoofer use, but not so good for the main speakers. My own preferred method is to use the digital inputs and controlling the volume would simply be via Windows system volume control or the provided remote.

miniDSP actually has many resources that show you how to set up their devices -- there are lots of instructional videos that can be found in youtube as well -- they also have their own user forum. But if you get bogged down or stuck somewhere, just ask and I or others here should be able to help.

Top Bottom