• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having sworn I would never, ever use valves again,

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have the amp but it hasn’t improved my playing one iota!
I was quite apprehensive turning it on, remembering my past valve amp experiences!
BW Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yea, but how's it sound? :p
Doesn't count when your making music and not reproducing it. ;)

Jim B

I agree 100% that the electric guitar should only be played with a tube amp.

Totoro

I agree 100% that the electric guitar should only be played with a tube amp.
Yeah I guess I’ll go tell Bill Frisell and Pat Metheny and John Scofield and Mike Stern they don’t know what they’re doing because you said so.

Jim B

Yeah I guess I’ll go tell Bill Frisell and Pat Metheny and John Scofield and Mike Stern they don’t know what they’re doing because you said so.
Well make sure you explain to them that solid state was not invented when that instrument was....

Last edited:

Jim B

Jim B said
Well make sure you explain to them that solid state was not invented when that instrument was...

Totoro replied to a thread you are watching at Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum.
Having sworn I would never, ever use valves again,
That’s not even coherent. Honestly if you think you know more about playing than any of those guys, you should have some recordings to back it up. Otherwise you’re just a typical cork sniffing internet blow hard.

Well that’s a rude reply. It show’s that your mentality is extremely low, that you know nothing about tube amps, their sound, or the electric guitar. Also, that you are only in the forum to vent your misdirected anger, and insult strangers.

Let me educate you. The first recording of electric guitars was made in 1933. The guitar was designed to work with a tube amp. Solid State did not come into commercial use until the ‘60’s. Many recording artists refused to use the Solid State amp because they claimed the sound was weird and different to them.

This what the original poster is discussing in this thread. The difference in sound between a tube amp and solid state.
Many people think it’s just the speakers that change the sound. It’s not. The amp has a great deal to do with it. Whether it’s Tubes, Class A, AB, or D. They all sound different.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the amp but it hasn’t improved my playing one iota!

BW Keith
I've found that if you turn up the gain all the way, switch in a pedal, and crank the head up to 11, it really doesn't matter what you are playing, or how good you are playing it. At least I keep telling myself that.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I've had a new approach to a tube power amp rattling around in the back of my mind. At some point, I'll meet a guitar player who wants to take a chance and pay for the parts and metalwork for the prototype, then help me tune it...

Top Bottom