• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having been an "audiophile" for the last decade, wireless headphones are the best thing that happened to me since the beginning of the journey.

Merkurio

I'm talking about my AirPods Pro and Max, but could be extrapolated to every other set of nice wireless headphones/IEMs out there.

The convenience provided with the comfort, features and sound quality as a whole package, makes me rethink many things about the end of my journey as an "hardcore" audiophile, I'm enjoying my music as never before without actually sacrificing the sound quality factor that induced me to the rabbit hole at first instance (EQ'd AirPods Max are truly outstanding).

In fact, audio science has played a crucial role in all of this, providing enough knowledge resources in the last years to separate the chaff from the wheat and now be able to adjust the sound to my liking within the right fundaments about target responses and parametric EQ, with the main technical data of many popular headphones in the market covered. Straight to the important stuff, no bullshit.

Does this mean I'm done with wired headphones? No, but for all the main purposes of music enjoyment, they have been relegated to a very sporadic use cases.

Have you reached this point yet? Do you plan to do it anytime soon? :)

storing

Forum Donor
I personally don't plan to go to a device which needs charging (and, depending on model, might lead to sound getting interrupted though it's unclear to me how much that is an actual problem): for me that's just a lot more inconvenient than having a cable which I personally don't have any problems with worth mentioning. I understand this is personal though. I don't have the need to walk around a lot when wearing a headphone in-house, and when I do outdoors the cable doesn't bother me.

But I'm a bit surprised by your post: I though it was going to rave on about the lack of wire, but most of it is about sound quality and EQ which apply equally well to wired :)

OP
Merkurio

Merkurio

I personally don't plan to go to a device which needs charging (and, depending on model, might lead to sound getting interrupted though it's unclear to me how much that is an actual problem): for me that's just a lot more inconvenient than having a cable which I personally don't have any problems with worth mentioning. I understand this is personal though. I don't have the need to walk around a lot when wearing a headphone in-house, and when I do outdoors the cable doesn't bother me.

But I'm a bit surprised by your post: I though it was going to rave on about the lack of wire, but most of it is about sound quality and EQ which apply equally well to wired :)

Actually, I use the headphones mainly on my desktop (that's how I EQ'd the APM).

Hell, I don't even go outside with them, but the absence of cable and auto-connection are something that really make my daily basis compared with other of my wired headphones/IEMs and their subsequent "plug" ritual.

About the need to charge, it's a fair point, but one that I personally don't bother with (as I use the APP when I'm charging the APM and vice versa, never run out of "wireless" juice).

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I'm talking about my AirPods Pro and Max, but could be extrapolated to every other set of nice wireless headphones/IEMs out there.

The convenience provided with the comfort, features and sound quality as a whole package, makes me rethink many things about the end of my journey as an "hardcore" audiophile, I'm enjoying my music as never before without actually sacrificing the sound quality factor that induced me to the rabbit hole at first instance (EQ'd AirPods Max are truly outstanding).

In fact, audio science has played a crucial role in all of this, providing enough knowledge resources in the last years to separate the chaff from the wheat and now be able to adjust the sound to my liking within the right fundaments about target responses and parametric EQ, with the main technical data of many popular headphones in the market covered. Straight to the important stuff, no bullshit.

Does this mean I'm done with wired headphones? No, but for all the main purposes of music enjoyment, they have been relegated to a very sporadic use cases.

Very true this. When I bought the Bose QC35 I had the same experience. There is much enjoyment in a good set of headphones or speakers, but they don't need to cost the earth.

In fact, as I'm typing this I'm listening via Bluetooth to the genelec 8030 (connected to the topping dx7pro ) and it sounds great!

aandres_gm

Charging some of these devices is pretty much a non issue nowadays, especially thanks to wireless charging.

killdozzer

Major Contributor

You're the perfect person to pose this question to, then! In your experience, how long before the end of battery would you say you hear headphones not sounding as good as they can?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think wireless headphones have been very good for a long time and there is no doubt that wireless functionality is hugely liberating. I had an earlier iteration of the Sony 1000XM and they were impressive. A lot bassier than I'd like but superb ANC and brilliant for commuting and flying.
However I have a big objection to battery powered devices, the use of sealed batteries which are often priced (assuming available) to make it more sensible to just replace the device. My 1000XM batteries fell off a cliff after about two years, I have had the same experience with phones, tablets and digital audio players to the point that I now prefer to restrict battery powered purchases to cheap throwaway items. I have a pair of original Sennheiser HD580's I bought in the early 90's and which I still use (and why I never bought any HD6xx headphones), there's a lot to be said for such longevity.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
most of it is about sound quality and EQ which apply equally well to wired :)

Theoretically yes but an important aspect of wireless headphones is that they are by definition active, and that brings with it a whole lot of benefits.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I end up using my wireless headphones a fair amount, but usually only when I‘m involved in other things. They still don’t compare to my best wired headphones for focused listening. The technology is certainly improving, and onboard DSP that adapts to each individual’s physique seems to be the future, but I don’t think it’s quite there yet.

Kevbaz

I still prefer wired headphones. I don’t walk around listening to music, I spend an hour per day on an evening listening to music in a nice comfy chair :)
Also I feel there is much better choice in wired headphones, especially when it can be paired with something as feature rich as the RME ADI 2 DAC.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
and now be able to adjust the sound to my liking within the right fundaments about target responses and parametric EQ
Many people are still talking about black magic and worthless stuff, gladly some people find that they can archive better result in their FR knowing the FR that they like the most! Instead of calling mid range magic just tune every part of the mid range to their preference.

That gonna give much better result to untrained mixers or audiphiles, instead of call '' magical '' and waste time walking around.

Yes the airpods can sound very well if its tune for a personal preference. It's not a broken thing.

Headphones have much less problem, like they don't interact with a room, neither have a delay/phase problem because they are full range.

tecnogadget

I gifted my girl a pair of Soundcore (Anker) Life P2 true wireless, because she is amazing at putting up with all my Hi-Fi treats.

Considering it was circa only 35€ discounted, and tracks very well the Harman Target with some low end emphasis of about 5dB, graphene drivers and 40hours of playback time…this thing is amazing.

I just can’t believe how close you can “get there” for only 35 bucks. Of course I wouldn’t compare it with my 10K system…but it is amazing how I can engage and enjoy music If she lends them to me (which I don’t do very often because headphones worsen my tinnitus).
I’ve even tried them with AutoEQ and my god ! I get how 99% of layman would consider this end game quality, and this wasn’t possible a few years ago. Democratization at its best.

Freeway

I find them liberating. Free to roam. No more leash.
The auto pause, when having to temporally remove, is really cool.
ANC tunes out the world (and wife). Privacy. Two way.
Volume control on headphone. Nice.
SQ good enough.
Great in airplane, car, etc.
Battery life great.
What's not to like?

UltraPro

Still haven't heard good sounding wireless headphones though. For example Sony WH-1000XM3 were okay, but cannot compete with even 150 € wired ones (though they seem to cost under 200 € now). It's good if you enjoy the comfort factor, but you should leave the praise at that. I don't deny that in the future wireless may offer incredible sound and I haven't heard everything latest and greatest of course.

AudioStudies

I recently got the Sony WH-1000XM4 and really love it. It is not as good as my Audeze wired or my Sennheiser wired. However the combination of ANC and wireless capability on the Sony make it a no-brainer for travelling and also for working around the house when you don't want to hear the sounds of dishwashers, microwaves or washers and dryers. Very comfortable fit, I would rate it 4.5 out of 5. For more serious listening, when all those appliances are turned off, I can use wired headphones with a headphone amp. But I don't think there is anything better than the Sony WH-1000XM4 for getting through airports and while on airplanes. I don't know for sure, but my guess is the FR has been adjusted to a "smile" or something similar, not completely flat. I haven't had time yet to investigate the EQ options in their app. But to my ears, it sounds damn good right out of the box, even when used wirelessly (it can also be used wired).

AudioStudies

The battery life on my Sony far exceeds any period of time that I would listen continuously. It charges by USB C port, and it is just as easy as charging a phone. I have never experienced the sound getting interrupted. The battery does not need to be removed from the headphones to charge. One just plugs into the USB-C port on the headphones. The lack of wire is very beneficial in certain situations, but I was also very surprised by the sound quality, as I have never been a Bluetooth fan. However, I fully concede the sound quality is still below that of wired headphones.

Top Bottom