• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having a Feeling of Shame Gives Rise to Courage--SMSL M500 V2

pirxel

Well tbh, I'm complaining with a belly full. I have the first version and it serves me well, I got it very early and got no regrets, as I enjoyed it intensively from the start. I just had some crackle when trying some of the ultra high bit rate stuff, but music with those stats i just have sample music I don't normally listen anyway, so who cares (I don't). Even now with the latest firmware installed it still can't quite handle the higher DSD stuff (which again, I don't have anything other than sample music I find very lame, so whatever). On windows I have to leave it at 32 bit, 192khz since if I put it higher Spotify would gag on it (I also have Tidal, but a lot of music I don't yet own is only on the former, so what to do).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well maybe because it's Wolf's review, it's not promoted to front page. Amir already had two M500 v1 reviews too. People know the device, hard to put it in the spotlight yet again, maybe?
Can you link me to the 2nd please? I cant find and dont think I saw it. Hoping it came out after I bought mine, not that I missed a headless review!

EDIT- its the teardown- didnt realise a panther was "awarded"

Last edited:

pirxel

Think I missed the 1.2 review .I enjoy my device, now Im getting buyers remorse o_O. Shouldnt have asked,
just enjoy it man, i also got mine early and I regret nothing. it served me well then, it serves me better now. It still has quirks, but nothing even slight annoying so game on.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
just enjoy it man, i also got mine early and I regret nothing. it served me well then, it serves me better now. I still have quirks, but nothing even slight annoying so game on.

Yeah- realised solderdude is referring to the teardown piece with a second device- didnt realise it was given a panther but bought in full knowledge of. I'm calm.

*looks at DAC reviews*

pirxel

Very interesting, but if I want to buy an M500 online, how can I be sure I will get the latest version of the hardware? They look absolutely identical...
from what I understood, you can't. A good idea would be to get it from a seller with a good return policy like Amazon and try a few units?

kaka89

Welcome back @WolfX-700 , haven't seen you since Chinese New Year.

I wondering why these Chinese brands are not very popular in China, I have not found any Chinese forum discussing them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
from what I understood, you can't. A good idea would be to get it from a seller with a good return policy like Amazon and try a few units?

Yup- there was a similar issue with the SU8 if I recall. I know in this arena, minor HW revisions are often not reflected in model names/ numbers but you would have thought an unambiguous designation for the new "good" units (heat issues sorted, able to install latest USB drivers etc) would be worthy of an official V2 badge, or increment to 501 etc.

MalinYamato

It's 1 whole dB worse than the top performers Tambaqui and the Matrix Audio but costs only around $400.

I figure it's the looks that make it unimpressive.
At least.. personally I don't like the shape, color and front panel.
Its cute, I love the red one :) I am a woman of style.

Dominique-T

Do you intend to publish more detailed measurements of this version 1.3?

Dominique

Amir and I discovered the temperature stability of the SMSL M500 before. After SMSL knew it, they improved the M500.

A few days ago I received this improved unit (already sold).

After the measurement, I was a little excited-so I can't wait to release some quick measurement results.

View attachment 66089

In terms of version identification, SMSL does not do well. According to their statement, only one way to confirm HW: 1.3 in the system version to know that you got the V2 version.

In terms of improvement, according to the official statement: THD, IMD, and temperature stability have all been improved.

Quick measurement results:
View attachment 66090

View attachment 66091

Reactions: Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Was also wondering the same. Seeing as how other inputs have been falling in performance on average due to supposed supply shortages of quality Coax and Toslink parts.

Toku

Major Contributor
This is a question for V2.
Did the sound leakage to the RCA and XLR outputs improve in the headphone mode, which was a problem with V1 (HW1.2 SW1.5)?
I would like to purchase an additional M500 if this issue is resolved.

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Just received my M500 today from Apos and confirmed it is SW 1.6, HW 1.3. So far the only quirk has been Tidal not recognizing the device one time until I restarted the app, then it was fine. MQA working fine as well.

I've been a/b'ing it for the past couple hours and the volume is way lower from the rca outputs vs my Schiit Modi 3. I level matched best I could with an Android decibel meter app (max 66.8db Modi 3 vs 67db M500 on the same song) and the volume level on my SMSL DA-8S amp was at 20 for the Modi 3 and 37 for the M500..

I saw that the review for the M500 Version 1 on this site tested it with the DAC volume set at 49 to achieve ~2.0v. My M500 Version 2 is maxed out at 40 volume. Does any of this seem weird/wrong?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received my M500 today from Apos and confirmed it is SW 1.6, HW 1.3. So far the only quirk has been Tidal not recognizing the device one time until I restarted the app, then it was fine. MQA working fine as well.

I've been a/b'ing it for the past couple hours and the volume is way lower from the rca outputs vs my Schiit Modi 3. I level matched best I could with an Android decibel meter app (max 66.8db Modi 3 vs 67db M500 on the same song) and the volume level on my SMSL DA-8S amp was at 20 for the Modi 3 and 37 for the M500..

I saw that the review for the M500 Version 1 on this site tested it with the DAC volume set at 49 to achieve ~2.0v. My M500 Version 2 is maxed out at 40 volume. Does any of this seem weird/wrong?

I think that may have been one of Amir's typos. I suspect he meant 39- my HW 1.2 version seems to match my other DACs (roughly) on the RCA at full volume so I would guess 39 was as close to 2v output as possible - 40 will be a hair more. . Unless there is a max output setting in the driver software or internal of the M500, I would guess your Schiit is more than 2v. I doubt SMSL have decided to set the RCA out on v2 at less than 2v. A voltmeter would be the only surefire way to test though.

EDIT- unless Schiit have modified since this review, no, the Modi 3 is 2v https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/ I have no answer for you, sorry. But my volume control only ever went up to 40 on HW 1.2

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
I think that may have been one of Amir's typos. I suspect he meant 39- my HW 1.2 version seems to match my other DACs (roughly) on the RCA at full volume so I would guess 39 was as close to 2v output as possible - 40 will be a hair more. . Unless there is a max output setting in the driver software or internal of the M500, I would guess your Schiit is more than 2v. I doubt SMSL have decided to set the RCA out on v2 at less than 2v. A voltmeter would be the only surefire way to test though.

EDIT- unless Schiit have modified since this review, no, the Modi 3 is 2v https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/ I have no answer for you, sorry. But my volume control only ever went up to 40 on HW 1.2

Thanks! So, using my multimeter I'm guessing I set it to DC and then put the positive lead in the center of the rca output and the negative on the outside perimeter? Do I need to be playing audio at the same time?

Top Bottom