• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having a Feeling of Shame Gives Rise to Courage--SMSL M500 V2

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
What is science since you are referring to it? I like measurements from the forum, that’s why I subscribed but also subjective opinions. All welcome. After all we are free to make our own mind.
Welcome Aboard @CortL.

raif71

Major Contributor
In this V2 did smsl change the max output voltage at xlr? In the V1 measurement, it was seen that max output voltage can go as high as 6.8V, what about in V2?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In this V2 did smsl change the max output voltage at xlr? In the V1 measurement, it was seen that max output voltage can go as high as 6.8V, what about in V2?
I think there is a setting in the driver software to set max

raif71

Major Contributor
I just got a used smsl v2, hw 1.3, sw 1.7 and I'm suspecting that at volume 40, there is no more 6.8V out. I'm basing this on the connection of my previous xlr DAC , Gustard X16 with the Singxer SA1. My comfortable volume using the gustard was 2 o'clock. Using the audio-gd with its 5V max output, the singxer volume was at 9/10 o'clock. Now using smsl v2 (volume 40), the singxer is at 2 o'clock ie same with Gustard so I guess the max voltage now is 4V. Nothing in the menu of the m500 v2 is suggesting any output voltage change/selection.

raif71

Major Contributor
Amir and I discovered the temperature stability of the SMSL M500 before. After SMSL knew it, they improved the M500.

A few days ago I received this improved unit (already sold).

After the measurement, I was a little excited-so I can't wait to release some quick measurement results.

View attachment 66089

In terms of version identification, SMSL does not do well. According to their statement, only one way to confirm HW: 1.3 in the system version to know that you got the V2 version.

In terms of improvement, according to the official statement: THD, IMD, and temperature stability have all been improved.

Quick measurement results:
View attachment 66090

View attachment 66091
Hi @WolfX-700 , the number you got on both channels that was close to 4.5V, is it using max volume (40) ? Thanks

Massimo

Based on SMSL's recent poor attitude in dealing with issues with this product Courage has turned back to Shame!

jani80k

@raif71 quick question: what is the best volume to run the M500 at in DAC only mode to match a SP200 connected via XLR?

raif71

Major Contributor
@raif71 quick question: what is the best volume to run the M500 at in DAC only mode to match a SP200 connected via XLR?
Sorry, I don't have an SP200 but I always run my M500 at max volume when connected to any amp.

jani80k

I remember with the v1 someone figured out 4 Volrs would be ideal, so a setting of 34. to match most amps. Maybe I am confusing something here.

raif71

Major Contributor
I remember with the v1 someone figured out 4 Volrs would be ideal, so a setting of 34. to match most amps. Maybe I am confusing something here.
Mine is v2 so max is already 4V though no one has confirm this

jani80k

Mine is v2 so max is already 4V though no one has confirm this
Yes, I kinda picked that up from what you posted earlier. The initial posts in this thread show 4.45 volts - is that the exact measurement at setting 40? So maybe 38 would be 4 Volts exactly?

EDIT: Sorry, misread that, it says Vrms instead of Volts. Would be interesting to know if 40 matches 4 Volts exactly. Hopefully someone on this forums is able to measure and confirm.

Jarlaxle

Hi @WolfX-700 , the number you got on both channels that was close to 4.5V, is it using max volume (40) ? Thanks
still noone confirmed this right? Last month I bought a unit with hw 1.3 sw 1.7 versions installed. Then they released M500 MKII. my m500 is feeding sp400 (earlier sp200) and as you know both amps can take more than 5V. I think in some thread someone said smsl had confirmed sp400 can be fed up to 10V. Anyway I know it doesn't matter much but I am pretty bummed and found a decent deal on a D1se. If M500 no longer goes up to 6.8 volts I might just upgrade.

raif71

Major Contributor
still noone confirmed this right? Last month I bought a unit with hw 1.3 sw 1.7 versions installed. Then they released M500 MKII. my m500 is feeding sp400 (earlier sp200) and as you know both amps can take more than 5V. I think in some thread someone said smsl had confirmed sp400 can be fed up to 10V. Anyway I know it doesn't matter much but I am pretty bummed and found a decent deal on a D1se. If M500 no longer goes up to 6.8 volts I might just upgrade.
My feeling is that to get the older V1 version is the way to go ie making sure the hw version to be less than 1.3, then perhaps you might get the unit that output the max 6.8 volts. This is assuming that none of sw version in the V1 changing the voltage to be less! If SMSL can list out the corresponding m500 versions (hw and sw) and its corresponding max output voltage, that would be great. :)

Jarlaxle

My feeling is that to get the older V1 version is the way to go ie making sure the hw version to be less than 1.3, then perhaps you might get the unit that output the max 6.8 volts. This is assuming that none of sw version in the V1 changing the voltage to be less! If SMSL can list out the corresponding m500 versions (hw and sw) and its corresponding max output voltage, that would be great. :)
That is what I think too. Somewhere in the way, they changed op amps inside too. I assume it was necessary to solve the heat issue but also reduced the output voltage to 5ish. Not that it is low. But their designs, as I understand, works better with high voltage input.

raif71

Major Contributor
That is what I think too. Somewhere in the way, they changed op amps inside too. I assume it was necessary to solve the heat issue but also reduced the output voltage to 5ish. Not that it is low. But their designs, as I understand, works better with high voltage input.
For me, the heat issue is not that important as I only listen to music perhaps an hour or less at a time so I don't think the heat will damage any components.

Jarlaxle

For me, the heat issue is not that important as I only listen to music perhaps an hour or less at a time so I don't think the heat will damage any components.
It was more like performance was changing according to heat and it was not intentional. According to wolf's site, a unit was degrading while other was improving with heat.

Top Bottom