• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have your Mac Smell Fresh Forever!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I must confess, one of the things I cherished in my first Apple product, the Apple II (circa 1979) in my tiny bedroom was its scent. It had that new electronic smell which is long gone.

So now we have a product that lets that smell continue from a freshly bought Mac!

http://www.pcmag.com/news/348478/sc...ws&mailingID=1F7F74FAFFC47F52D623505F8BA1E281

cented Candle Offers That 'New Mac' Smell (Whatever That Is)
STEPHANIE MLOT
  • OCTOBER 5, 2016 10:16AM EST
Twelve South's $24 New Mac Candle is currently sold out, but expect more soon.

518647-new-mac-candle.jpg

Ahh, that new-Mac smell. You know—the one that fills the room with the scent of mint, peach, basil, lavender, mandarin, and sage.

At least, that's what retailer Twelve South apparently detects when unboxing a fresh MacBook or iMac. The Apple-exclusive accessory maker began selling the $24New Mac Candle on Monday around 2 p.m. ET. By 4:30 p.m., the hand-poured, 100 percent soy wax product was sold out.

"We are completely shocked by the response and could not have predicted that we would sell out so quickly," Twelve South told PCMag.

Since each candle is hand-poured by partner Candlefish, the process is time consuming. But the companies are "working diligently" to return the the popular product to shelves—likely later this month.

Inspired by the next-gen iPhone 7 release, creative director and co-founder Andrew Green thought it would be "fun" to capture the smell of opening a new Apple device.

"Of course it was imperative to us that the end scent is pleasant to have around. The idea is tongue-in-cheek and fun, but at the end of the day we wanted to make a candle that we wanted in our house," Green said in a statement. "We're really all just a bunch of Mac nerds here, [and] our design inspiration comes from products we want in our homes or on our desks, and the candle was no different."

With a burn time of 45 to 55 hours, the sweet perfume of an unpacked PC should last you a few days at least. Or trick family and friends into thinking you just bought a state-of-the-art computer, without shelling out the $900 to $1,800 that actually requires.

"I can't imaging a better gift for a Mac lover for the holidays and I hope there's one in my stocking," Green said.

Customers can sign up online to receive a notification when the New Mac Candle is back in stock. Until then, browse the Twelve South online store for iPhone and iPad cases, Apple Watch docks, MacBook stands, and other merchandise. The Charleston-based company, however, warned shoppers that due to the impending Hurricane Matthew, its warehouse is closed, and shipments will be delayed.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"I can't imaging a better gift for a Mac lover for the holidays and I hope there's one in my stocking," Green said.

Do you think he really said that?

On the other hand, the "cented Candle" title seems appropriate.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How silly. I have had a couple each of MacBooks and iPads, a couple of iPhones an Apple TV and a Time Machine. Can't say any of them ever smelled.

Tim

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Top Bottom