• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have you achieve a listening system that reach that mix engineer, master engineer or producer intended production quality?

kongwee

Major Contributor
In other word, you are having hi fi system near studio quality. For me, I have met some hit song producers. They never mention what kind of system to enjoy their production. Even in studio where the hit songs were made. Never read, listen or come across from these people you need a reproduction system of that kind. Only sales representation and marketing that you need reproduction quality system that the producer or engineer intended for. These messages will pass to customer like us.

F

freemansteve

Your home system is probably as good, or better than most studio gear, for the purpose of playing back a stereo mix.
Maybe things have moved on since I was last in any studios, but most things used to be mixed to sound good on "inexpensive stereos" or radios.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't have such a system and I've never been in a "real recording studio". (I have been in a radio-station production studio that had some "big-impressive" JBL monitors and a very-small studio for recording voice-over at a TV station.) I do have HUGE home-built speakers and a pair of 15-inch subwoofers. Some people have more and/or bigger subwoofers... More than you'd find in a studio...

Of course you can buy studio monitors (many people here have them) and you can measure & treat your room and EQ (and many people here have done that). Or course you don't need "monitors" if you have good speakers and most "home studio monitors" aren't what the big boys use. Or at least, they don't use these small-inexpensive monitors as their main mixing/mastering monitors.

They never mention what kind of system to enjoy their production.
One "trick" they use is to check their mix/master on a variety of systems... Headphones, in their car, maybe on their home system, etc. Each engineer will have his own set of "downgraded" systems. And, they'll have a known-good reference recording the same genre to compare, and to "keep their ears calibrated".

Now... Many (perhaps most) listeners don't enjoy listening to music in a "dead" sound-absorbing room like a studio.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've worked in about half a dozen different studios making records for the past 23 years.

I didn't hear anything really that different on my home systems than I heard on the monitors in the studio. it all sounded good.

The "audiophile" voodoo words like "high resolving" are just gatekeeping nonsense words to frighten people away.

Do the mixes sound a little different? Of course. It's a different room and the speakers are different (probably the weakest link and weakest part of the signal chain that makes the most difference). But it all sounded fine.

So if your gear is decent, and you have been paying attention Amir's reviews and Gene's reviews over at Audioholics, and you bought a decent system at a decent price, then you're fine.

Do I still prefer a partricular set of monitors to mix on? Sure. And I will always use them since I trust them. But it all sounds good at home on my KEFs, my old Energy's, and my low budget Dayton Audio speakers.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
That is not the point and not even interesting.. I just wants a sound and presentation that pleases me

ADU

Major Contributor
In other word, you are having hi fi system near studio quality. For me, I have met some hit song producers. They never mention what kind of system to enjoy their production. Even in studio where the hit songs were made. Never read, listen or come across from these people you need a reproduction system of that kind. Only sales representation and marketing that you need reproduction quality system that the producer or engineer intended for. These messages will pass to customer like us.

The issue of how music is produced, and whether that is a worthy goal to strive for in an in-home setup is a rather thorny one imo, kongwee. I'm fairly happy though with my current arrangement that includes 250-ohm Beyer DT-770 headphones, Bellari amp, Insignia DAC (from Best Buy), and Equalizer APO.

I suppose I am sort of a tinkerer at heart though. And could decide to go in a different direction at any time. And have been looking at other headphones, and also some lower-cost monitors for a possible future in-room set up. There aren't enough $$ in the ADU coffers to do very much along those lines at the moment though.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've spent my earlier years as a recording engineer and as a studio owner, and the intention was and I'm sure is now that the sound as heard on studio monitors does not need to be literally heard in a home. In fact that's impossible because the acoustic spaces are so different and the speakers are undoubtedly different.

Not to mention that it's physically impossible anyway because there is no standard speaker that every recording engineer uses nor absolute uniformity and how they all hear and their taste and sound.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I know that what's getting to my speakers is a pretty much un-altered representation of what's in the recording. I know that my speakers are reasonably neutral and that I've done a bit of EQ work to try and smooth off any big things my room is doing. Beyond that, I have no idea what the engineers intentions were other than what's in the recording. So I'm satisfied that I'm about as close as I'm likely to get and need to be...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How large do you suppose your income needs to be?
Well i would have to afford a house with a room that i can build from scratch and dedicate for Entertainment / Music. At the end of the day that's what a studio is, whether we like it or not.

I'm just not at an age or time where i can do that atm.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Well i would have to afford a house with a room that i can build from scratch and dedicate for Entertainment / Music. At the end of the day that's what a studio is, whether we like it or not.

I'm just not at an age or time where i can do that atm.

Oh, well it seems we're primarily talking about systems here. But things can be done to help with the rooms too. I've seen quite a few documentaries about the recording of classic albums, and a lot of those sound rooms didn't look all that amazing anyway. On top of that, a lot of our favorite albums were recorded using headphones...and I mean stuff like AKG-K240s...not anything spectacular.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, well it seems we're primarily talking about systems here. But things can be done to help with the rooms too. I've seen quite a few documentaries about the recording of classic albums, and a lot of those sound rooms didn't look all that amazing anyway. On top of that, a lot of our favorite albums were recorded using headphones...and I mean stuff like AKG-K240s...not anything spectacular.
Yes the mixing process is often done in average rooms and settings, but mainstream music always involves a mastering house for the finishing touches. And that's 'where the magic happens'.

I hate Adele's music for that exact reason, it sounds like hot garbage because whoever mastered them is using headphones with really fucked up tonal balance and her music sounds like shit as a result.

Vict0r

Sure! Anything will get you the quality intended on records such as Sepultura´s Morbid Visions, Blasphemy´s Fallen Angel of Doom or Emperor´s Wrath of the Tyrant.
$500 on robes, chainmail, swords and corpse paint, $5 on a microphone.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
$500 on robes, chainmail, swords and corpse paint, $5 on a microphone.
That is Emperor at the time of Anthems. When they released Wrath of the Tyrant they were not even 20, so all the attire was probably not present. :D

For Blasphemy, my guess is that they spent more on powerlifting than on recording Fallen Angel of Doom.

ADU

Major Contributor
Sure! Anything will get you the quality intended on records such as Sepultura´s Morbid Visions, Blasphemy´s Fallen Angel of Doom or Emperor´s Wrath of the Tyrant.

Not sure if I've heard any of these bands. But this sounds like a pretty good example of some of the thorniness. :)

Yes the mixing process is often done in average rooms and settings, but mainstream music always involves a mastering house for the finishing touches. And that's 'where the magic happens'.

A good mastering facility will probably do their best to replicate as well as possible the conditions on the user/listener's end. I suppose some might consider that to be magical. But it just makes good horse sense imo. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They use competent gear for the goals they're working towards. I wouldn't model my home system after theirs (and have been in a couple recording studios using various speakers, too). I'd think mine are at least as capable as to what they're generally using, tho. As long as the results sound good, I don't really care what someone particular might use to mix/master with/on. Hopefully I still get good results not trying to emulate the poorer systems they try and accommodate.

Ricardus

Excuse me, but I don't understand this "intended" thing.
The artist, producer, and engineer definitely have intention when they make a record.

You are free to play it how you like once you get the media.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The artist, producer, and engineer definitely have intention when they make a record.

You are free to play it how you like once you get the media.
Reproduction is different from production, too....

Top Bottom