• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

I've been fond of the older NHT speakers for their slim build. I could only afford the Super Twos, but admired the nht 3.3 and other similar models. It seemed like a decent solution: Put the sub (often the wide) speaker cone sideways (or down-firing in the case of the Super 2s). But they are probably outclassed by the newer floorstanders.

Reactions: MAB

subframe

I'm trying to justify a set of LS60s. I have heard them and they are just as good as the R7, almost as deep as the R11 and nothing required of them than just a set of power cables.
If it helps you buy them, I'd say they're significantly better than the R7. You're welcome!

AM88

Me and my wife's favourite speakers of the speakers that I have owned, in terms of looks, and looks alone, were slim floorstanders. PMC GB1.

JRS

Major Contributor
I think slim speakers are theoretically suspect in some ways (no directivity until higher frequencies?) as Bruno states in the Grimm whitepaper: https://www.grimmaudio.com/publications/speakers-white-paper/

On the other hand, in today's world we have fancy DSP for cardioid and other directivity control schemes, as we see in Bruno's later work on the Kii speakers.

So I am not sure that slim speakers are done for.

One thing I will say is that I've finally come to appreciate the role that large drivers have in reducing IMD. So I would personally like to see wide speakers make a comeback. It's usually cheaper and easier to get a certain SPL out of a 12" than two 8"s and you end up with less distortion in the end. High excursion is cool and useful, but something to be avoided if possible.

The size and shape of the cabinet and drivers are pretty big clues to performance, if not completely definitive. You can't build a speaker that isn't subject to diffraction, after all.
There is another benefit to using two or three woofers--that of mutual coupling which can provide additional output beyond summing the Sd of the two. So there is a free lunch after all that mitigates against baffle step.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Obviously there's a lot more nuance than is implied in my sort of click-baitish title (had to keep it short), but...

The question was partially inspired by my listening to this podcast:

Why BIGGER loudspeakers are BETTER​

Where Peter Comeau if AIG talks about designing the larger new Wharfedale Dovedale speakers, and why smaller/slim speakers tend to be a compromise:

C5C53472-171C-4CBD-8793-CA606A5297FD.jpg

Clearly this is yet another speaker in the trendy "bringing back old school big box wider baffle speaker design" trend, at least in the audiophile world. And it's more that trend, than the specific podcast, that I'm thinking of. Though not strictly limited to the old-school designs...really anything on the subject of why bigger/wider speakers may be desirable vs the slimmer speakers.

I appreciate some of the remakes, like the JBL L100 that re-present the classic design language with modern innards. But I have a have a general horror of that form for some reason. I have a friend who has enthuses about Harbeths (and I've heard several with them) and was into another (less nice) throwback brand that I just had to change the subject about. Big bass drivers with concentric rings, wood veneer boxes with protruding front edges and fabric grilles. There's no nostalgia there for me I guess. Otoh I think the current Yamaha NS-5000 is pretty gorgeous. That's a thoroughly modern-looking implementation and the fit/finish/detailing/materials are entirely fabulous.

Of course any manufacturer/designer can come up with an excuse to hop on the "old school box speaker" design trend. (I'm looking at you, Mo-Fi).

But nonetheless, some make the case based on claims like how bigger speakers are easier to design to sound rich and full, how they can get around some of the baffle-step problems that lead many slim speakers to a lack of body/richness/scale etc.

The arguments for jumping out of the slim speaker paradigm is that the goal of trying to make speakers ever more domestically acceptable pushed speaker designers to ever thinner speakers, with smaller drivers, (and lower sensitivity) which tend to compromise sound for looks.

Yes, you can get higher sensitivity with wide baffle but that's not the critical issue it once was now that watts are cheaper.

Personally, I caught the narrow floorstanding speaker "bug" when I heard Audio Physic Virgo speakers in the 90's, and later owned several Audio Physic models. I really loved the way they did not take up much visual space and "disappeared" as apparent sources of the sound, with a big airy soundstage etc.

My Audio Physic (4-way floor-standers) are 200 mm wide, barely more than the 180 mm mid-bass driver on the front. But for ages now they've been mounting their bass drivers on the side (in force cancelling mode) as KEF does on certain models, or still sideways but inside on the current reference line (a 250 mm bass driver in a 370 mm deep cabinet on mine). So narrow, but relatively deep, for the required volume.

Would they have more bass slam with a wider baffle affecting the 100-400 Hz range? Maybe. Or just another mid-bass driver on the front (like a couple of other models in the series)? The podcast dude makes the claim, but I found him pretty irritating, oozing entitled old-dude energy (triggering some negative bias on my part) and enthusing about tepid 60s and 70s rock music that he reckons had bass, really meaning mid-bass as bass proper wasn't discovered in modern music until the 90s. :)

On the other hand I've also come to appreciate a bigger, beefier sound from some of the more old-school wider-baffle/bigger driver designs. So...I like both.

At the moment I'm using Joseph Perspective floor standing speakers, the very definition of "small, domestically acceptable slim floor standing speaker," which tries to pack a big sound in a smallish speaker. I went back and forth between these and some of the bigger more old school designs. The wider speakers didn't ultimately suit the needs of my room, and I have to say I still quite enjoy the sort of magic act of sitting between widely spaced slim speakers that take up so little visual space yet seem to conjure up a vast soundscape.

What are your thoughts? Did you ever like any slim floor standing speakers? Are you "over them" and happy to go with beefier looking (sounding?) speakers that don't put a slim profile as a premium? And of course any arguments against the 'slim floor standing speakers are compromised' are welcome. (For instance, the new KEF LS60 has been very well received).

Well, I love the wide baffle Focal Utopia series, and they do sometimes seem to sound better for certain rock-adjacent modern stuff (but less good for electronic stuff) I like than my speakers. I also can't really afford them. The design aspects are complex, with many factors and system topologies already noted by replies in this thread. But I'd say if we are going to do listening comparisons we should do them blind, the psychology of "big" needs to be controlled for.

Edit: meaning that blind comparison would be useful to further explore differences between thin and fat topologies, not that we always need blind listening to identify speaker characteristics, of course.

Last edited:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember when in the 80's it was commun to get speakers similar in size to the Wharfedale Dovedale.
It was very useful to young people making parties.
Then the column speakers arrived, with a huge physical advantage about living room integration, but also a bad reputation of shoe box like sound!

I am very happy that big speakers are coming back, even if for now i am owning column speakers (but not slim).
;)

MarkS

Major Contributor
Personally, I caught the narrow floorstanding speaker "bug" when I heard Audio Physic Virgo speakers in the 90's
This is EXACTLY what happened to me, and I've had tall slim floorstanders ever since.

(Never Audio Physic though, I'm too cheap to pay their asking prices.)

Penelinfi

Personally I'd like less baffle, or a curved baffle. But needs to have low distortion whatever the case :) I enjoy speakers from a 3" coax to something 300x larger

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Or you could build a wide baffle speaker that pretends to be a narrow baffle speaker, and get the best of both worlds. :p You can even have good looking and sharp cabinet edges if you want.

31.01.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
"...those who are declared dead live longer...." ;)

Even iam a fan of big speakers with huge horns. Its about the look for most people. And for many of them huge speakers with big horns look like frankenstonse monster. And i think they look beautyfull.

Last edited:

zooomart

IMG_1200.jpeg

In 1990 These B&W Matrix3s2 were quite different than wide boxes at the time. Still sound and image well

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the end only the result counts and that is a smooth directivity without diffraction issues which cause secondary sound sources and smear the imaging. There are wide baffle designs doing a great job there (for example large Genelec, Neumann, Grimm LS1 and more) and also narrow ones (for example KEF Blade, LS60, Kii Three and more).
How well such target is reached can be seen in a full set of measurements or at a least in a spinorama.

Here also a bit of good reading material related to the topic:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can personally attest that they are not. :cool:

Did you own the 3.3s, or do you still own them? So you find they hold up well against modern speakers lauded on ASR?

They were a fascinating design. I auditioned them in the 90's and they were so deep it was like looking down a canyon. I was expecting to see Luke's X-wing round the corner at any time.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Did you own the 3.3s, or do you still own them? So you find they hold up well against modern speakers lauded on ASR?

They were a fascinating design. I auditioned them in the 90's and they were so deep it was like looking down a canyon. I was expecting to see Luke's X-wing round the corner at any time.
Yes- mine are modified from the original design (described on my website) but have the same drivers and geometry. I haven't heard every new modern speaker, but after hearing a lot of the contenders in some homes and at audio shows, I haven't felt like any were a step up. The Kantor approach to stereo is, I think, particularly effective but doesn't lend itself to the Harman or Klippel paradigms.

Top Bottom