• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have I used too many bass traps ? 100-400Hz decays faster than 500+Hz!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I should... but, I'll see first on another PC (one that has java installed) if it behaves same.

Finally figured it out: installation of Java was not the culprit, but rather it's was just a keyboard shortcut conflict error coming from another running application in the background. I disabled the keyboard+mouse shortcut in that app, and now the aforementioned function works perfectly on REW. So there's no bug at all that needs to be reported.

Pio2001

E.g. MLP L+R RT60 looks like
View attachment 227325
Hi,
I don't think that the shallow dip between 70 and 400 Hz is a problem.
The RT must be flat in order to ensure that the reverberation, that brings the "sound power frequency reponse" of the speaker to the listening position, has a neutral frequency response itself.

So the question is "does the human ear process direct sound and reverberated sound separately below 400 Hz" ?

If the answer is "no", then you can happily equalize your frequency response to a nice target curve from 20 Hz to 400 Hz and have a correct result. You may or may not use a target curve for the 400 Hz to 20 kHz range, that's another debate.

If the answer is "yes", then this drop in the RT60 will add a coloration to the sound caused by the room that is not possible to compensate for with equalization.

Top Bottom