• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have DT880, worth it to get HD800?

OP
B

BillyD

Ok this might be pretty silly but... I did a bit of research today and discovered that the HD800S has more distortion in the bass compared to HD800 and it is a bit less clear and more muddy there and that the stock HD800 has more potential with EQ than the 800S with EQ because it has less THD. So now I am a little worried, did I make a mistake by buying the HD800S and not a used 800? I always believed that the HD800S is a little better overall so this confused and worried me a little. Is it worse in terms of clarity and detail at least in the bass region?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
this confused and worried me a little. Is it worse in terms of clarity and detail at least in the bass region?

Nope.. You can stop worrying now and go back to enjoying the HD800S.
2nd harmonic distortion levels (below 100Hz) measure slightly 'worse' but in both cases are below audibility levels.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Ok this might be pretty silly but... I did a bit of research today and discovered that the HD800S has more distortion in the bass compared to HD800 and it is a bit less clear and more muddy there and that the stock HD800 has more potential with EQ than the 800S with EQ because it has less THD. So now I am a little worried, did I make a mistake by buying the HD800S and not a used 800? I always believed that the HD800S is a little better overall so this confused and worried me a little. Is it worse in terms of clarity and detail at least in the bass region?
Here's a definitive analysis of the differences. With the HD800S's 7% THD at 20 Hz (100 dB @ 1 kHz signal), compared to the HD800's not much above 2%, the former is more likely to induce possible audible distortion once the sub-bass is EQed up to the Harman target, if you listen at loud levels, and your music has large amounts of sub-bass content.

Note this part of that post:
the HD800S does clearly show increased 2nd harmonic below about 100 Hz, and a slightly decreased 3rd harmonic.
This would add to the slightly increased bass that we perceive between the HD800 and the 800S.
So higher distortion in the bass may not sound obviously distorted as such, it could just be perceived as increased overall bass. But this is still a distortion of the original music, 'fake bass' if you will, with harmonics (primarily 2nd for the HD800S) being added to music that should not be there.

Last edited:
OP
B

BillyD

Here's a definitive analysis of the differences. With the HD800S's 7% THD at 20 Hz (100 dB @ 1 kHz signal), compared to the HD800's not much above 2%, the former is more likely to induce possible audible distortion once the sub-bass is EQed up to the Harman target, if you listen at loud levels, and your music has large amounts of sub-bass content.

Note this part of that post:

So higher distortion in the bass may not sound obviously distorted as such, it could just be perceived as increased overall bass. But this is still a distortion of the original music, 'fake bass' if you will, with harmonics (primarily 2nd for the HD800S) being added to music that should not be there.
Right. But if it's inaudible does it matter?
Also yeah I saw that post and what others said on reddit and I just got scared that I was missing something because I bought the 800S and not the 800.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right. But if it's inaudible does it matter?
Also yeah I saw that post and what others said on reddit and I just got scared that I was missing something because I bought the 800S and not the 800.

You have great headphones, EQ them to how you like them best (or dont, up to you) and enjoy.

GaryH

Major Contributor
But if it's inaudible does it matter?
As I said, it could possibly be audible, if you EQ up the bass, listen at loud levels, and your music has high amounts of sub-bass in it.

Last edited:
OP
B

BillyD

As I said, it could possibly be audible, if you EQ up the bass, listen at loud levels, and your music has high amounts of sub-bass in it.
Alright. But besides this (which seems to be a very minor issue) isn't the HD800S better? I always believed that the HD800S was an upgrade.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD800S requires less treble EQ and they upped the price by using another paint job and supplying balanced cables.

HD800S is not a 'better' headphone just less sharp sounding (without EQ) than the original HD800.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Alright. But besides this (which seems to be a very minor issue) isn't the HD800S better? I always believed that the HD800S was an upgrade.
In terms of stock frequency response the HD800S is an upgrade (reduced treble peaks, slightly increased sub-bass), but in terms of bass distortion it's a downgrade. If you use EQ then you can just reduce the treble peaks of the HD800 yourself, so the advantages of the HD800S are lost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom