• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have approx. $1000 to spend on Amazon-- any suggestions?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I have been saving amazon GCs for a couple years (I often get them as gifts as a music teacher). Thought it would be fun to see if anyone has any cool ideas about how to spend it on an office system for critical listening to streaming, FLACS and LPs. Thanks, and appreciate any suggestions!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you already have an office system to start with? If so what is in it? And by office system are you wanting a desktop system or stand alone?

BillG

Major Contributor
Thought it would be fun to see if anyone has any cool ideas about how to spend it on an office system for critical listening to streaming

This has been reviewed here:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Audio-Component-Amplifier-WXA-50/dp/B01EIBYRUA

I happen to own these and they're great for the money:

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-R16...=infinity+reference+162&qid=1573021202&sr=8-1

That's gives you $200 left over, when the speakers are on sale, for whatever... :cool:

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Do you already have an office system to start with? If so what is in it? And by office system are you wanting a desktop system or stand alone?

Ideal would be desktop system, but any suggestions would be great! My current system takes up a lot of space, so would be great to consolidate.

NAD 7600 integrated,
Headroom The Max Class A Headphone Amp
Genelec 8020Bs
Project Debut-III turntable
Massdrop CTH + SDAC headphone amp/dac
Monitor Audio R6 Silver floorstanders
HD800 phones

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideal would be desktop system, but any suggestions would be great! My current system takes up a lot of space, so would be great to consolidate.

NAD 7600 integrated,
Headroom The Max Class A Headphone Amp
Genelec 8020Bs
Project Debut-III turntable
Massdrop CTH + SDAC headphone amp/dac
Monitor Audio R6 Silver floorstanders
HD800 phones

Well what would you think of:

Keeping the Genelecs and HD800's.

JDS Labs the Element DAC/pre/headphone amp for $349.

You'd need a phono so how about an Emotiva XPS 1 for $199 which goes into the JDS analog input. Pretty good, has options for MC, and small with good adjustments making it useful.

I'd think maybe you'd like a smaller sub for pairing with the Genelecs. You'd have $300-$400 left for that.

Keep the turntable you have.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions! Was also looking at units similar to the Sprout, or NAD 3045, Anyone have any all-in-one desktop units they can recommend?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been saving amazon GCs for a couple years (I often get them as gifts as a music teacher). Thought it would be fun to see if anyone has any cool ideas about how to spend it on an office system for critical listening to streaming, FLACS and LPs. Thanks, and appreciate any suggestions!

Schiit Modi3/Magni3 (~220)
PC - around $500
Headphones - Audiotechnica M40x - $80 or $100
Ear pads HM5 - $25

BillG

Major Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions! Was also looking at units similar to the Sprout, or NAD 3045, Anyone have any all-in-one desktop units they can recommend?

That Yamaha I posted, while also based on ICEpower like the Sprout, actually measured significantly better than it. The only problem with it, though? The lack of headphone output... :rolleyes:

However, since you already seem to own a headphone amp/DAC... :p

Top Bottom