• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the Topping A50 headphone amp appeared yet?

wassim01

Hi, I'm looking for an amp for my Akg k712 pro, the A50 topping is a good choice for me ?

wassim01

what is the best amp for akg k712 pro, topping A50, liquid spark or jds labs atom ?

dwa

what is the best amp for akg k712 pro, topping A50, liquid spark or jds labs atom ?
Any of them will probably do as well as new Schiits. IIRC Liquid Spark's distortion start to rise pretty quickly with output power increase.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Seems like the Topping is the worst sounding, least transparent, the "fun" amp.
It's funny you interpreted his words into something you want to believe...
What he actually said:
Topping is the most enjoyable one. Least transparent out of the three but still transparent. Build quality is the best.

Where did you get the worst sounding?

D

Deleted member 12179

It's funny you interpreted his words into something you want to believe...
What he actually said:
Topping is the most enjoyable one. Least transparent out of the three but still transparent. Build quality is the best.

Where did you get the worst sounding?
I wanted to believe it's the bees knees, apparently it's not. You want to believe I said it's bad, I said it's the worst sounding of the set, meaning the other sound better, according to Zeos. can sound amazing, and still be the worst, if the other sound better ;-D.

D

Deleted member 12179

z-reviews is good for build quality, UI interaction, how features work, and little else past that.
indeed, and there are no measurements of the topping, so he doesn't know what to make out of it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wanted to believe it's the bees knees, apparently it's not. You want to believe I said it's bad, I said it's the worst sounding of the set, meaning the other sound better, according to Zeos. can sound amazing, and still be the worst, if the other sound better ;-D.
1, He didn't say it was the worst.
2, Since he didn't say it, The worst is what you were interpreting. And, since this is audio science forum, what makes you think they sound different as they all measure well enough to be audibly transparent to, meaning no difference. All the better or worse are only measurements.

D

Deleted member 12179

I have seen about 100 Zeos videos, he said it's the most fun, less transparent (=the least transparent, =the most sound altered); THE WORST
Not that I would believe much when Zeos talk sound details. Still great reviews, no bs, talks all the real functionality. THE WORST.

I will now explain what the worst mean in a comparison group; the others are better. It doesn't mean it's bad, he says it's awesome. It can easily be truly amazing amp, and still be THE WORST.

TomB19

I ordered my A50 after seeing that review but not because of it. To be honest, I have the P50 and D50s so I wanted to complete the stack as a desktop headphone setup. I expect it will function well sufficient to the task so I don't care about having the best possible measurements.

Time will tell but I suspect the Topping will turn out to be the most transparent of the group, adding the least color. It's probably a bit sterile. We will see.

If Amirm tests an A50 and the response curve isn't astonishingly close to flat, I will be extremely surprised.

OP
L5730

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have seen about 100 Zeos videos, he said it's the most fun, less transparent (=the least transparent, =the most sound altered); THE WORST
Not that I would believe much when Zeos talk sound details. Still great reviews, no bs, talks all the real functionality. THE WORST.

I will now explain what the worst mean in a comparison group; the others are better. It doesn't mean it's bad, he says it's awesome. It can easily be truly amazing amp, and still be THE WORST.

I can't agree with your interpretation of what Zeos is saying.
To me, it seem pretty clear that what he is saying is that it is less analytical. If you want analytical, it's thew worst. If you want 'warmer' it's the best.
He does admit that feel, fit finish and looks are an important factor and that he could perhaps be biased to an opinion because of that - although he doesn't make this point that clearly.

However, I tend to agree with the following post (in other words, don't take his listening impressions as worth anything):
z-reviews is good for build quality, UI interaction, how features work, and little else past that.

TomB19

I wonder if @amirm or @WolfX-700 will measure the A50?

What I find odd is, this site seems to have a very good relationship with Topping. A Topping person has posted several times on this site, in the counterfeit Topping thread. And yet, Amirm has not yet tested the A50.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos, waited a week, and then ordered an A50. The A50 took 5 days to show up. I got it this morning but still no ASR content on the A50.

Several others have complained of their Topping merchandise from Amazon being opened and scratched, prior to receiving it. All four of my Topping products had the box seals cut (ie: D30, P50, D50s, A50). None of these devices were scratched, however, so I'm not that worried about it.

For me, it's time to purchase Topping gear from a source other than Amazon. I use Amazon as little as possible anyway but I didn't want to wait until 2022 when Drop gets around to shipping the device. lol!

TomB19

:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_195023810.jpg
    IMG_20200214_195023810.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 312

imrul

What does the linear power supply do and how does it help in this context?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well it actually removes ground loops, because DAC and amp are connected to the same ground with it.

Also i dont like noisy PC USB noise, which is there at least with my (high end) gaming PC.

Top Bottom