• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the pandemic affected your audio purchase decisions?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Just a curious question. I get a feeling that the adverse economy effects of the pandemic aren't felt by the demographics here.

Have you been affected by the financial health aspects or the stay-at-home aspects of the pandemic to create, delay or avoid planned audio purchases?

Speaking for myself, the stay-at-home phase increased my attention on the entertainment system which had not been upgraded for a long time. Which got me to thinking about upgrading. Which got me to look at what is out here. Which created a lot of frustration in not finding good stuff at decent prices within the budget I wanted to spend that would be a significant upgrade to what I had. Which stopped me from buying any big ticket items for now to see where the prices go for things I feel are way overpriced. Which got me buying some relatively inexpensive stuff for marginal upgrades or to play around with new technologies/toys, etc.

If it wasn't for the pandemic, the old system would probably have stayed without a concern until something died and had to be replaced.

NDC

Yes - very similar to you - staying at home made me invest heavily in audio again. Although I haven't found for the stuff I’ve been purchasing that the prices increased. Before because I was commuting and in the office, I made do with AirPods (which to be fair, work excellently for their purpose).

Now I have multiple DACs, headphones, streamers! It’s been a lot of fun.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agree wholeheartedly. I had time to look into what I wanted and time to enjoy it when the equipment arrived. I was behind the curve on audio and, for a modest sum, I'm now happy with what I've got.

I'm fortunate in that I've been working throughout, but mainly from home.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD660s a couple of weeks into lockdown because I knew i'd be spending a lot more time at home. Prior to lockdown, i'd focused on mobile equipment (IEMs and DAC/Amps) because most of my music listening was done during my daily commute.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I’ve also been working from home and have missed out on some opportunities for income (as a performer/conductor), but not nearly so badly as some. I still plan to make some big upgrades in the next few months, but not buying anything on credit. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I bought a CD.

Last edited:

Archsam

Working from home and in front of my hifi during the lockdown, I have purchased the following since March:
  • Matrix Audio Element X
  • Audeze LCD-X
  • Revel M105
  • Minidsp UMIK-1

OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
Although I haven't found for the stuff I’ve been purchasing that the prices increased.

I don't see any of the prices have increased on audio stuff (PC components whole different story). BUT some dealers I have dealth with have balked at the customary discounts they have offered before. Given the personal relationships with them, I suspect they are inventory constrained which is affecting revenue flow to be able to discount rather than become spoiled by an increased demand. Perhaps a bit of both.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having perused various audio forums discussing this same topic, it appears that many audiophiles have gone in to buying mode, and a surprising number of dealers and manufacturers are doing very well (though others more negatively affected).

For myself, my work has been shut down since the pandemic started, so I've had quite a bit of off time to indulge in listening. However I don't have extra cash for buying anything until I'm working again. Fortunately I'd bought pretty much everything I wanted before the Pandemic and have some nice toys to play with. If I had work, though, I'd probably be doing something or other audio-wise (like sending my speakers to the manufacturer to try the new upgrade...fer fun).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I bought a CD.

I bought another CD.

While buying stuff to bring the motorcycle back to operational status, the eBay delivery of the petcock rebuild kit was "guaranteed" for Saturday delivery, but didn't arrive till Thursday.

For that little displeasure the automated complaint resolver offered me a $5 credit (with a 30 day expiration).

So I wasted it on a CD. All of it, and no more.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only bought an E30 but not because of Covid.

ttimer

I haven't been affected negatively by the pandemic in terms of income, and since i recently moved into a new flat, i spent a modest (in hifi-terms) sum on a new system.
To be honest, the purchase had nothing to do with the pandemic, it was just coincidence that both happened at the same time.

The dealer i bought from seemed to be operating kind of normally, even gave a discount when i asked nicely. They also sell TVs and HT, which might have provided some good business during the pandemic.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Only bought an E30 but not because of Covid.
I've just bought a Rasberry Pi 4 and set it up to run Volumio. Again, I'm not sure that this is because of Covid. However the lockdown did ignite an "audio equipment drive" for me.

LearningToSmile

I wasn't impacted particularly hard, since I was able to continue working from home. Our workload did increase, and the raise I was able to get after my recent promotion was much lower than expected(with pandemic being cited as the reason). Overall it's alright.

But I will probably hold out on the next bigger purchase I had planned out of abundance of caution - I wanted to get a subwoofer/s along with some measuring equipment for room correction, but I'll probably hold up until next year.

...unless a good deal happens. Can't say no to a good deal.

Oklei

Forum Donor
Because of Covid I bought a second system for my "home office" room. Raspberry Pi (picoreplayer)->SMSL M500->DT1770pro. The beyerdynamic are closed-back and thus can be used at my home during daytime without disturbing someone or being disturbed.

Plcamp

I suppose it did cause me to buy a pair of tweeters, more though... it has given me time to research what next to obtain. So maybe the pandemic has programmed some future expenses into my intent? It has certainly changed what I intend to do!

mil

For my work and the gaming computers I bought:

Gaming:
  • HD 600
  • Monitor Audio Bronze 2
  • Topping PA3
  • (I had a SBX G6 already)

Work:
  • HD 660s
  • Topping DX7 Pro
  • Nord Three 1ET400A ST
  • Wharfedale EVO 4.4

If I continue like that, my wife is going to kill me way before the virus has any chance...

Top Bottom