• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has the headphone stuff (headfi) becoming ridiculously expensive?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a Brexit thing or a Massdrop thing?

Think its actually a Focal thing. The Elex is (as far as I can tell) an Elear with Clear pads. The Elear retails here for around £900, the Clear £1300. The Elex comes to around £600 before import duties etc

Its Focal's attempt to grow their US market I suspect- or offload Elear drivers . Either way, Drop wont allow it and I can only think its part of the deal with Focal- its the only item of theirs I have seen this on.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a good pair of closed back or in ear headphones. My wife can't stand bleeding noise from headphones and sometimes I want to listen to music in the same room while she's reading. Today I'm using a pair of one more triple driver in ear - but I'd prefer something easier to fit and more comfortable. Plus to be honest the sounds profile of the one more isn't really my favorite.

I don't want to spend a mint either...

If you can handle the feel of IEM- the Moondrop Starfield might be a good starter for less than $100. Spend a bit more for the deep insertion Etymotic ER2SE. For full size, look at AKG K371.

I can vouch for the two IEM, the AKG is based on regular comments on here

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Think its actually a Focal thing. The Elex is (as far as I can tell) an Elear with Clear pads. The Elear retails here for around £900, the Clear £1300. The Elex comes to around £600 before import duties etc

Its Focal's attempt to grow their US market I suspect- or offload Elear drivers . Either way, Drop wont allow it and I can only think its part of the deal with Focal- its the only item of theirs I have seen this on.

So the advertised "elements of the $1500 Clear" are just the earpads?

The included cables sound like a possible downgrade (2 shorter cloth wrapped vs 1 longer rubberized).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The included cables sound like a possible downgrade (2 shorter cloth wrapped vs 1 longer rubberized).

Cant comment on the cables and I would use aftermarket anyway

But based on chatter here and other web places I believe the pad thing to be correct- now, those pads are nearly $200 to buy new!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cant comment on the cables and I would use aftermarket anyway

But based on chatter here and other web places I believe the pad thing to be correct- now, those pads are nearly $200 to buy new!

Ouch. Ridiculous price for a BOM that doesn’t cause north of 1/20 its RSP. Not sure if Dekoni or other 3rd party can make way cheaper Focal Pads without altering their signature noticeably

flaviowolff

Which ones ?? We need guidance!!!

AKG K371

Perfect sound for me. Currently using it with an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm DAC/AMP dongle. Been on the headfi hobby since 2006 and already spent thousands of dollars trying cans and electronics. Sold everything. The k371 is an endgame for me. Probably not the best headphone there, but good enough for me not to risk trying another one.

Only needs a bit of adjustment on the loose hinge (need to screw it a bit more underneath the rubber sticker that covers the screw, or else it loses adjustment often)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Like the Sony MDR-7506 perhaps? I had have this for many years and cost me 90usd
Or the V-6, thing is they are nowhere near perfect. My favorite budget headphone is the AKG 167, has more/better bass than the Sonys, mids are less harsh/in your face. However, they are fragile, nothing like the bullet-proof design of the Sony cans.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ouch. Ridiculous price for a BOM that doesn’t cause north of 1/20 its RSP. Not sure if Dekoni or other 3rd party can make way cheaper Focal Pads without altering their signature noticeably

Apparently not- few threads on here if you search "focal clear" where pad swapping is discussed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

*Might* have just bought the Clear on Ebay- for a fair price based on other sales. Still waaaay more than the Elex would be even if I got stung with full import duties etc. B'stards.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

No, that's the reason the Elex and the Clear don't measure the same even with the same pads. The treble in the Clears is more elevated than both the Elex and the Elear. In some measurements, the Clear has a bit more bass too.

Taddpole

As for why these very expensive products exist, allow me to share a life lesson someone taught me on another forum: The topic of the post was something like "$10K to spend on an amplifier, what should I get?". Based on the information provided, I figured that a much less expensive amplifier would be an ideal choice, and I think I suggested a $1500 product. His response? "I did not ask for your opinion on a $1500 amplifier: If you do not have recommendations for a $10K amplifier, I am not interested in your opinion". I think this is why we have "hypercars", The Robb Report, and wristwatches with 7-figure price tags: It's supposed to be part of a more rarified life not accessible to mere mortals, and clearly I wasn't part of it.

Next time... Hold on I've got a limited edition version for $10k it has special capacitors inside and the sound is incredible...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, no one on ASR as behaved like a butt-head to me, at least no one that matters!

I deleted- I was mistaken - unless you have related that experience on here before

Neutron

any decent planar. HE-400i. I mean we can debate SQ characteristics but I firmly believe once a certain level of quality is reached, the rest can be done with EQ.

I dunno. That's probably due to some changes in living spaces. Less young people in US are having driver's licenses (source). I assume their lifestyles are rather different. These brands are actually rather highly regarded in Asia, e.g. Taiwan and Japan, where people commute in public transport and share/live in higher density (apartment buildings) than north America. Playing loudspeakers would annoy neighbours easily, let alone roommates. Unless someone are rich enough to not have neighbours.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im not going anywhere near a discussion as to whether an AKG 371 is as good / better than an Audeze LCD X/Y/Z. To each their own

Which do you prefer? I know nothing about headphones, but I'm interested in grabbing another pair just to compre. I bought the HD600 and HD800s after a day of research. The 800s(especially) are perhaps the most clear, detailed, and vivid headphones I've ever heard, but I really wish they had more bass. The HD600 seems to have a little more bass, but still not enough(maybe I'm just used to subwoofers?), and it lacks the gorgeous mids and highs that the 800s have. Honestly, tot sure which on I like better overall, but I know I would enjoy both more if they had more bass.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which do you prefer? I know nothing about headphones, but I'm interested in grabbing another pair just to compre. I bought the HD600 and HD800s after a day of research. The 800s(especially) are perhaps the most clear, detailed, and vivid headphones I've ever heard, but I really wish they had more bass. The HD600 seems to have a little more bass, but still not enough(maybe I'm just used to subwoofers?), and it lacks the gorgeous mids and highs that the 800s have. Honestly, tot sure which on I like better overall, but I know I would enjoy both more if they had more bass.
I had all those headphones and I can say my Clears surpass an HD 800(S) easily IMO. I have all the "detail" and "clarity" I previously had with the 800, but without the harshness and way better bass response. The only thing that isn't as good on the Clears is the "soundstage" is smaller, but it isn't even close to be claustrophobic. Enjoy your purchase regardless.

nickaz99

I'm going for the Drop 6XX myself, supposed to show up next week. I've got the first half of the Topping "30" stacklette, the amp, the DAC is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I just got my Elegias from Adorama (thanks to the ASR deals page) and am waiting for my 30 stack as well. Hope you enjoy!

Top Bottom