• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has No-one Else Noticed This?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
The question is WHY?

Werner

Yesterday CA was subject to the same attack, only much more violent.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
There's ways to prevent this. I used to admin a very large audio forum and this kind of thing wouldn't have ever seen the light of day. But to be fair, I also fully sympathize with the folks running this site- it can be time consuming when you don't have a staff of ten people or more.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But to be fair, I also fully sympathize with the folks running this site- it can be time consuming when you don't have a staff of ten people or more.
Yea Amen to that, I did admin a good sized site for years. Now the spam bots can make a mess of things quick.

Eric Auer

And being a moderator is not all that much fun as it turns a trip to your favorite forum in to a job.

I did it for years as well.

Eric

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I hit the "report" button when I see them. Is that adequate?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I hit the "report" button when I see them. Is that adequate?
You should get a pop-up dialog box asking about the issue, where you type a quick description (spam, unrepentant believer, etc) and then click to Report Post again.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There's ways to prevent this. I used to admin a very large audio forum and this kind of thing wouldn't have ever seen the light of day. But to be fair, I also fully sympathize with the folks running this site- it can be time consuming when you don't have a staff of ten people or more.
We have superb spam detection tools on the site. Every day we get member registrations that are automatically or with my approval are rejected. I say for every valid registration, we probably have 2 to 3 spam ones!

The system relies on collective knowledge of all forum owners to distribute the knowledge about these spammers. These latest attacks seem to be using new identities and automated posting. And we seem to be getting hit early on before their information is getting archived.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible with the forum software to limit thread creation rights for new users?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We have superb spam detection tools on the site. Every day we get member registrations that are automatically or with my approval are rejected. I say for every valid registration, we probably have 2 to 3 spam ones!

The system relies on collective knowledge of all forum owners to distribute the knowledge about these spammers. These latest attacks seem to be using new identities and automated posting. And we seem to be getting hit early on before their information is getting archived.
Makes me all nostalgic for the early days when no one was here and the spam we had was bitter WBF folks taking the piss out of us ( a royal us, mostly ( exclusively) just you :D) :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible with the forum software to limit thread creation rights for new users?
Strangely it does not. There is a plug-in that allows it though so I might install that.

Eric Auer

I deleted them all, would be helpful in someone dropped me a message letting me know when these things happen or reports the post which most of you do. Makes it much easier to sort out.

Pretty sure I did that.

Eric

Top Bottom