• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has Dirac given up on PC and Mac

Jaimo

I searched up and down the Dirac website but can’t find where one can purchase a Stereo or HT license.

I downloaded the Mac SW from their link but can’t get it to find any devices so I assume that i need to load a license before it works.

In the FAQ they talk about releasing a v2 update but many months have passed and still nothing.

Am I missing something or has Dirac given up on supporting Mac and PC?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I was told that the PC/Mac versions were still on their agenda but that the embedded licensed-to-equipment market was their first and major focus. When they feel that is what they want it to be, what they have learned in the process will enable the PC/Mac versions.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dirac has removed the old PC version from their website. I wrote to them about this and was told they are working on a new 2.x version which is currently in alpha. You can write to them and get a download link if you want to try it out.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@Jaimo With no disrespect to Dirac, Audiolense and Acourate are excellent alternatives. If you want to try something free, DRC and rePhase also work very well.

I had pretty good results when I tried Dirac, certainly much better than other auto correction systems. As you know I use Acourate myself, but it isnt for the faint hearted, you need to put the effort into learning the software. I class Dirac in a different user area, for those than dont want to have the challenge of the more sophisticated, superior but user hostile alternatives.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@March Audio Sure, understood and agreed. But if using "just" room correction, the steps in Acourate are fairly straight ahead as linked to the article.

Fyi, Audiolense has an excellent workflow as it minimises the number of manual steps required, no matter how sophisticated one's setup is. For example, in my case, other than defining a 3 way digital XO, the workflow is literally the same if just using room correction. Audiolense automatically (with precision and repeatablility) time aligns the individual drivers and then the left and right as a system. Plus it is the only loudspeaker and room correction DSP software I know of that can reduce low frequency group delay and cancel low frequency room reflections. The article I linked above shows the reduced group delay at the listening position and this article shows the cancellation of a maximum phase low frequency room reflection. Audiolense can generate a mixed phase correction FIR filter. The combination of these unique capabilities in Audiolense, provides a low frequency clarity that I have not heard with any other loudspeaker and room correction DSP software.

I would love to review @Flak Dirac's latest version...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Dirac has removed the old PC version from their website. I wrote to them about this and was told they are working on a new 2.x version which is currently in alpha. You can write to them and get a download link if you want to try it out.
Stereo only, at this moment.

Dinajijic

Stereo only, at this moment.

I am totally confused by all of this. I have the older Dirac Live for PC (Stereo Version). Is the new version as shown on the Dirac website available as a free upgrade? To add to the confusion they now have two login portals. When I download Live version 2, it asks me to login to the new ;portal but it does not recognize my username and password. I don't think they could have made this more complicated had they set out to do so.

Thanks

capitanharlock

I am interested in using the Dirac live 2 on an Intel Nuc Roon core, via Audio hijack, but couldn't find any price or license for the Windows version.

Am I missing anything?

Olli

Forum Donor
Looks like Dirac 2.0 is finally live:

1566986568061.png

Olli

Forum Donor
It actually looks like you can download Dirac 2 for PC and MAC already:

1566991197571.png

cjf

I wonder if the new version of Dirac fixed the User Profile issue I encountered with the previous Windows version. The issue I am referring to being that when running a "Headless" music server with Dirac installed on it, the User of the Software needed to be kept "Logged In" for the program to continue working.

I would typically use RDP to remote into the system to manage it. All was fine when logged in but as soon as I "disconnected" from the RDP session (ie..clicking X to keep logged in and not doing Logoff) the program would loose contact with the DAC/Sound Card and no longer work. As soon as you Login again it would start working again.

I reported the issue to Dirac support but the response I got led me to believe that a headless Music server was not something they tested. I assume if you have a monitor hooked up to your system at all times with keyboard/mouse attached this may never be an issue; assuming it doesn't puke when Windows Locks the session and requires you to login again but I never tried that as its not a scenario that works for me anyways.

Back in the day certain old school Windows programs relied on needing to be logged into the Profile at all times (ie..needing to run in the Foreground vs being able to run in Background). This seemed to be the issue with previous version from what I saw. No matter anyway for me at this point as I dont use Dirac but would be curious to see if that issue was ever fixed.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there a really basic guide on what dirac is, how it works? I understand that on audio video recievers you just run it, and it corrects the frequency response in room. Does the software do the same thing? Needs to be running at all times in the background? Does it use a lot of CPU?

Top Bottom