• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has civility on ASR declined recently?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, personally I feel like the forum has gone somewhat downhill over the last two years. One reason could be that there seems to be a certain aura of know-it-all attitude from an increasingly number of people, not excluding myself here, that can possibly come across as somewhat condescending.

I also feel there's a tendency to over-generalize and extrapolate certain things/measurements to areas where it may not actually support what we think it does. And a few things I find unquestionably silly, like letting us members quality-vote products we have no experience with, that actually devalues the forum and it's intentions.

My 2 cents, whether you care or not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lets have fun, sometimes a littel verbal fight happens. Hell where are the good old cowboys? They had a fist fight, and after that they did go drink a whiskey in the saloon together. ;)
Sod the civility then? :rolleyes:

nc42acc

If you are a subjectivist do not come post on an objectivist forum. Stay in your lane and civility rises.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lets have fun, sometimes a littel verbal fight happens. Hell where are the good old cowboys? They had a fist fight, and after that they did go drink a whiskey in the saloon together. ;)

Yeah, we totally need the ultimate gunfight. I believe I have the magic formula. What we need is

- a very expensive discrete MQA decoder that uses a lot of second-rate Chinese capacitors if only because big capacitors are cool.
- reviewed in Stereophile by JVS, measured by JA
- reviewed on Youtube by GoldenEar
- sold by a forum member.

Dogen

Forum Donor
It has gotten more personal around here. One thing I would like to call out is when we get new members who’ve known nothing but the subjectivist sites, citing some dubious claim. I’ve seen them jumped on like they were stupid, and basically told, you’re not welcome here. I wish we could welcome everyone and be a little more mindful of easing them into a new way of thinking. A lot of us bought into the BS at some point, and we weren’t shamed into changing our views - we were shown.

We shouldn’t tolerate trolls or humor subjectivist partisans, but IMO we can be a little more patient and impersonal with the deprogramming. If they truly have curiosity about the science, they will stay and learn. ASR doesn’t need to be an exclusive objectivist treehouse. If ignorant people were barred from school, no one would ever get in.

On the whole, though, this place is far above every other site I know in civility. And I appreciate that.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
No, fore sure not. But not being sensitive like a mimosa , is a good property.

i say we bring back duels
glove to the cheek, moved to a subforum, flintlocks or rapiers provided by ASR, a small entrance fee just to cover the running costs

but yeah, there's always going to be smarta**es, fanboys or whatnot, coming and going in waves, especially now during the pandemic it seems like people are having much more time to let out their frustrations (or is it just the over-the-top political correctness, wokeness and/or butthurtness flourishing lately?)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I joined specifically because of the wide ranging level of expertise in an effort to learn more about a subject that is an important part of my life.
I am not a aggressive poster, but am not afraid of calling out bullshit either.

Saponetto

My little experience? ASR is a blessing.
In the vast plethora of HiFi-themed forums and boards, the choice of pursue an all-analytical approach to acoustic matter is an insurance against flamings and overbiased topics.
Of course we are built of flesh, blood and ears hence it is a biological consequence to achieve different approachs on the same argument but, at least, there is a motivation to follow and partecipate ASR topics, and it is the common agreement to get the best acoustical experience...

tomtoo

Major Contributor
glove to the cheek, moved to a subforum, flintlocks or rapiers provided by ASR, a small entrance fee just to cover the running costs

but yeah, there's always going to be smarta**es, fanboys or whatnot, coming and going in waves, especially now during the pandemic it seems like people are having much more time to let out their frustrations (or is it just the over-the-top political correctness, wokeness and/or butthurtness flourishing lately?)

Yes some times i have the feeling too, they come in waves. But i see ASR as a stable oak, and in germany we have that saying, do you realy think a oak cares if a pig rubs on it? ;)

JSmith

Master Contributor
That's it, you've hit a nerve with me... there's nothing else for it. I challenge you to a duel;

e9b69ede46cef7abd78b5c391d0ba9b58582e48f.gifv

… glove slap baby;

POCADW.gif

A morning mimosa? :cool:
Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously
Agree... mentioned same to someone in the audiophool thread recently who was asked to complete a butthurt form after somehow missing the large message at the top of their monitor.

JSmith

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i accept, dear sir
as i am the challenged one, i get first choice of weapon, do you agree?
good luck with the sabre as i take the flintlock :p

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have noticed an increase in combative and insulting posts on ASR over the last couple of months--mostly, but not always, by new members.
What I notice -a lot of new members behave like AI bots, posting some indecipherable stuff and completely out-of-context. I think ppl use this forum to train their AI.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haven't noticed much hostility at all here. You should see other forums. :p

The only time I've seen people get pissy is when the discussion ends up in a subjectivist vs objectivist war but, like ALL religious disagreements, it's hardly surprising those things turn ugly quick. :p

BostonJack

Editor
Or, they aren't used to debating people with actual knowledge on a subject, as opposed to information based primarily on sales propaganda.

I don't think many newcomers realize the level of expertise represented by the members of this forum, and can't handle the deep end as well as they had hoped.

It's a balancing act as moderator...and we definitely rely on the membership to keep it from getting out of hand.
I believe that a bit of diplomacy would be a useful ingredient. Posters with low knowledge on a topic can be brought along. I agree that its a balance. Plus some tolerance of differing subjective views on product appearance, enormous differences in price-sensitivity, and what are, in effect, lifestyle decisions would help a lot. Not everyone here is chasing the SOTA.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I believe that a bit of diplomacy would be a useful ingredient. Posters with low knowledge on a topic can be brought along. I agree that its a balance. Plus some tolerance of differing subjective views on product appearance, enormous differences in price-sensitivity, and what are, in effect, lifestyle decisions would help a lot. Not everyone here is chasing the SOTA.

No, but thats why ASR is a good place. Its not about hifi bling–bling. Its about measurements.

Top Bottom