• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone used Genelec 8351/8361 in small room?

Georgios

Hi

I’ve got a small dedicated room for music, the size is about 2.8 x 3.2 meters. I know people will recommned smaller speakers plus subs but just wondering if it’s possible to use Genelec 8351B/8361 with sound treatment (lots of absorption etc) to get a satisfying result? I dont prefer speakers plus subs as this involves with a lot of cables and headaches (have 8320 + 7350 in bedroom). I really want just two boxes for speakers and plan to use AES connections for tidy presentation, if sound will be good enough. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would wait until Amir publishes the 8361 review…any day now! *anxiously waiting* :D

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the question is whether anyone has ever had a good result in such a small room - no matter what speakers. I think I saw a thread about this on Gearspace at some point. I think it came down to treating all 12 edges of the room with bass traps and of course the walls extensively, But I don't remember exactly. In any case, IMHO it will likely be extremely difficult and the speakers will probably be the least of your worries, If you think that you can kill the room problem with expensive speakers, you might be wrong. But of course it also depends on the building. In this size a tent would be best :).
You could start by taking a measurement of your current setup in the room, maybe that helps figuring out what is possible.

OP
G

Georgios

I think the question is whether anyone has ever had a good result in such a small room - no matter what speakers. I think I saw a thread about this on Gearspace at some point. I think it came down to treating all 12 edges of the room with bass traps and of course the walls extensively, But I don't remember exactly. In any case, IMHO it will likely be extremely difficult and the speakers will probably be the least of your worries, If you think that you can kill the room problem with expensive speakers, you might be wrong. But of course it also depends on the building. In this size a tent would be best :).
You could start by taking a measurement of your current setup in the room, maybe that helps figuring out what is possible.
That’s a fair point and I’ve seen it quite a lot:). Thanks anyway. My intentions are not to kill room problems, more like to have best low end from speakers point of view. I have some auralex bass traps and absorption panels and am willing to invest more if needed.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not very knowledgeable about Genelec. Room treatments in the bass often requires large contraptions.
GLM or REW + measurements microphone are IMO, the solutions.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agreed with all the above. Even Genelec don’t recommend it. Have you had a chance to read the section about OB-Vans on Genelec’s website? Recommended

OP
G

Georgios

Agreed with all the above. Even Genelec don’t recommend it. Have you had a chance to read the section about OB-Vans on Genelec’s website? Recommended
Actually Genelec said 8351B would work well in my room last time, I will double check with them for 8361. Just want to see if there is anyone else out here having same situation. My scenario is simple: small room (2.8 x 3.3 meters), two speakers only, best low end (8341/8351/8361 should have the same mid/high frequency performance if I’m correct).

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Actually Genelec said 8351B would work well in my room last time, I will double check with them for 8361. Just want to see if there is anyone else out here having same situation. My scenario is simple: small room (2.8 x 3.3 meters), two speakers only, best low end (8341/8351/8361 should have the same mid/high frequency performance if I’m correct).
I'm in EXACTLY the same situation and also considering 8351B and 8361A
But would prefer the 8361A
Because they're coaxial Genelec says minimum listening distance is 50cm
So you can use them as nearfield or midfield in the future if you move to a bigger room
With 8351B most recommend a sub, with 8361A it's less needed, + GLM fixes most problems in the room, I'd say the 8361A is the best large monitor for a small room

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I have a larger room but the issue will be with the bass. You are better with at least 1 sub ideally 2. I would do 2x8341 + 1 sub ; if really only 2 speakers you will have a big dip somewhere in the bass and some oscillations on the FR that you can hear. Decay will also not be great without treatments. But I agree with others, first some measurements.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm in EXACTLY the same situation and also considering 8351B and 8361A
But would prefer the 8361A
Because they're coaxial Genelec says minimum listening distance is 50cm
So you can use them as nearfield or midfield in the future if you move to a bigger room
With 8351B most recommend a sub, with 8361A it's less needed, + GLM fixes most problems in the room, I'd say the 8361A is the best large monitor for a small room
It's difference between a huge alien egg and a more manageably sized one.

1635651790332.png

1635651901671.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
with 8361A it's less needed, + GLM fixes most problems in the room

This is simply wrong. At least in a normal room with solid walls. You should know this by now, many have tried to explain this to you over and over again, but you just don't seem to want to believe it.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is simply wrong. At least in a normal room with solid walls. You should know this by now, many have tried to explain this to you over and over again, but you just don't seem to want to believe it.
It may be not ideal
But if you're in a small room and don't want small monitors then it's a good compromise
The other thing is I don't want to buy small monitors now then sell at a loss in the future when I upgrade, so it's more complicated than big monitors = bad for small rooms.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It may be not ideal
But if you're in a small room and don't want small monitors then it's a good compromise
The other thing is I don't want to buy small monitors now then sell at a loss in the future when I upgrade, so it's more complicated than big monitors = bad for small rooms.

Of course, you can put large monitors in a small room. I never said that big monitors are "bad" for small rooms. Just be aware that in any small room you will have major bass problems (=dips) that are independent of the quality of the monitors. Neither GLM nor any other DSP solution can prevent that. It will be much easier with subs to achieve an acceptable low end, regardless of the size of the monitors.

OP
G

Georgios

Of course, you can put large monitors in a small room. I never said that big monitors are "bad" for small rooms. Just be aware that in any small room you will have major bass problems (=dips) that are independent of the quality of the monitors. Neither GLM nor any other DSP solution can prevent that. It will be much easier with subs to achieve an acceptable low end, regardless of the size of the monitors.
Thanks for explaining that like everybody else. I’m trying to avoid this path as stated in the beginning of this thread, 2 speakers please. No subs:)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for explaining that like everybody else. I’m trying to avoid this path as stated in the beginning of this thread, 2 speakers please. No subs:)
You already got an answer by me. Good luck.
I replied to pearljam, but with anonymous readers in mind who might be misleaded by some statements.

OP
G

Georgios

Believe it or not, Genelec just told me room size was not critial for Ones series, as long as I have listening distance between 0.5 to 2.5 meters. However they also told me that dips in room response can only be fixed by acoustic treatment or subwoofer placing at optimal spot. Hmmm…

Top Bottom