• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone tried the Moondrop Aria?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that even at studios there is unfortunately no unique target that is agreed and used. Older studios had monitors used with no EQ which had a bump in the bass and such recordings sound too bass shy with flat in the room bass response. Till recently the Genelec GLM software used a rather flat target and even there with the latest update now they go for warmer decreasing tilt. So even for loudspeakers there is no unique target (although at least there seems to be a trend to flat direct sound above transition frequency - not to be confused with flat sound at the listeners position) and with headphones there is additionally the problem of the individual HRTFs. Till these topics are solved a single target is utopian and like Dr. Toole says better is to get some loudspeakers/headphones with flatish responses without dips and peaks and EQ them to taste and recordings listened.

half_dog

It would be cool if you could measure the Aria's distortion post modding and using the A07 tips. Btw, what tips sizes do you use?
Not gonna lie I'm not in the mood to remove the filter (and possibly tossing it away) from a new Aria and I don't have those tips either :/. I've measured Starfield and Aria with spinfit tip and the FR hasn't changed much... I would consider positioning variances.

Interesting! Moondrop's distortion graph of the Aria shows a similar peak
you're the one who did it? Sorry, I may have misunderstood that you measure iem too

Phosphenetre

It's closest to what I hear from studio monitors. I also have the Samsung Buds+ (very close to Harman IE 2019), and I think they sound weird.

The Ety target does not sound like what I hear from my studio monitors in a fairly well treated studio, further calibrated with Sonarworks. With the Ety target, there is an excess in the 1 - 2k range, and a definite impression of recessed low-end in comparison.

Chyżwar

The Ety target does not sound like what I hear from my studio monitors in a fairly well treated studio, further calibrated with Sonarworks. With the Ety target, there is an excess in the 1 - 2k range, and a definite impression of recessed low-end in comparison.

No headphones sound exactly like studio monitors :)

Sharur

Post the measurement of your in-room response

ObjectAudio

i got to the same conclusion as Phosphenetre that the Etymotic target has too much energy in the 1-3 KHz when trying to find the EQ IEMs that will resemble a corrected HD600 close to Harman target. Also Linkwitz got to the same conclusion in different way, and you can see from my post that my results are close to what Linkwitz suggest to EQ his Etymotic.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...resemble-the-sennheiser-hd600-tonality.26147/

The interesting thing is that we all got to the same conclusion with different ways.

FTB

"
People taking Harman Target as god's message is hilarious. Their direction is correct but there are flaws.
There are things you need to know about Harman Target.
[...]

Sure it is not the only way, and inclined to further improvements but it is a good start, with serious work methods.

Sean Olive :

*”Harman curve Lovers”: This group, which constitutes 64% of listeners, includes mostly a broad spectrum of people, although they’re generally under age 50. They prefer headphones tuned close to the Harman curve.
*“More Bass Is Better”: This next group, which makes up 15% of listeners, prefers headphones with 3 to 6dB more bass than Harman curve below 300Hz, and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is predominantly male and younger — the listeners JBL is targeting with its headphones.
*“Less Bass Is Better”: This group, 21% of listeners, prefers 2 to 3dB less bass than the Harman curve and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is disproportionately female and older than 50.”

https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-3/

To my ears I like Harman curve (AKG K371, Moondrop Aria) and I don't like flat curve speakers (in real room configuration), I like a bit downard.

It's obvious we cannot satisfy everyone with only one setting, but I think the try to standardize this a bit is a great place to start.

Maybe Sean Olive will create variations on his works : "standard Harman curve", "Bassy Harman curve", "less bass Harman Curve", "better treble Harman curve"

That's an assessment of why the Harman target is not perfect, but doesn't address the question of why you think the Etymotic target to be closer to neutral.

+1

I agree some people don't like Harman curve but I don't know why an other would be more neutral. And what is "true" neutral ?

[M~Tip]惰性海绵耳塞套
使用方法:
请将其套在耳塞导管处,在揉捏之后塞人耳道,待其自然膨胀填充耳道,
请使用适合自己耳道大小的尺寸,为了您的耳道健康请定期更换耳塞套,本耳塞
套亦可用水清洗,清洗后可能产生性能的少许变化。
产品特性:
M~Tip系列惰性海绵耳塞套,选用进口记忆海绵材料,经多次筛选测试实验验
证,能够通过其材料表面特性有效吸收声波在耳道中产生的谐振,从可测量的频
幅特性上减少中高频和高频的谐振,减少听感中的毛刺感,提升音质表现。

Put in translator if you are curious!

Thank you for the transcription !

It's about how to use it and then :

It can effectively absorb the resonance of sound waves in the ear canal through the surface characteristics of the material, and from the measurable frequency
In terms of amplitude characteristics, it reduces the resonance of mid-, high-frequency and high-frequency, reduces the sense of burrs in the sense of hearing, and improves the performance of sound quality.

It's funny because I made again some comparison between silicone and foam tips.
Silicone on left, foam on right, mono conversion then balance L/R.

I prefer silicone tips ! The bass level is better with foams so it's impressive at first but then... what... it sounds a bit congested and ironically, cymbals sounds harsher with foams ! Unlike usual opinions saying foams decrease high frequencies a bit.
So I don't agree with the constructor statement above.
By using foams you got a kind of loudness signature, the first seconds of listening are impressive then you realize it's illuzory.

I can only recommend everyone to try silicone or foams on these IEMs, the difference is big and you might like ones or the others.

It's closest to what I hear from studio monitors. I also have the Samsung Buds+ (very close to Harman IE 2019), and I think they sound weird.

But not all studio monitors are flat, right ?

Sharur

Sure it is not the only way, and inclined to further improvements but it is a good start, with serious work methods.

Sean Olive :

https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-3/

To my ears I like Harman curve (AKG K371, Moondrop Aria) and I don't like flat curve speakers (in real room configuration), I like a bit downard.

It's obvious we cannot satisfy everyone with only one setting, but I think the try to standardize this a bit is a great place to start.

Maybe Sean Olive will create variations on his works : "standard Harman curve", "Bassy Harman curve", "less bass Harman Curve", "better treble Harman curve"

+1

I agree some people don't like Harman curve but I don't know why an other would be more neutral. And what is "true" neutral ?

Thank you for the transcription !

It's about how to use it and then :

It's funny because I made again some comparison between silicone and foam tips.
Silicone on left, foam on right, mono conversion then balance L/R.

I prefer silicone tips ! The bass level is better with foams so it's impressive at first but then... what... it sounds a bit congested and ironically, cymbals sounds harsher with foams ! Unlike usual opinions saying foams decrease high frequencies a bit.
So I don't agree with the constructor statement above.
By using foams you got a kind of loudness signature, the first seconds of listening are impressive then you realize it's illuzory.

I can only recommend everyone to try silicone or foams on these IEMs, the difference is big and you might like ones or the others.

But not all studio monitors are flat, right ?
Moondrop Aria has too much midbass which introduces masking. Harman at least has a mud cut.

FTB

Please Santa, give me the money for Sotfears RSV

softears.PNG

jae

Major Contributor
One thing to consider is EQ-ability as well. Adherence to a desired target is only absolute if the earphone is not going to be eq'd. If there's going to be an "issue" it probably ought to be minimal and probably in the lower end. One earphone with a poorer out-of-the-box curve may very well sound better and have more favourable time-domain characteristics when EQ'd than another that sounds better out of the box.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One thing to consider is EQ-ability as well. Adherence to a desired target is only absolute if the earphone is not going to be eq'd. If there's going to be an "issue" it probably ought to be minimal and probably in the lower end. One earphone with a poorer out-of-the-box curve may very well sound better and have more favourable time-domain characteristics when EQ'd than another that sounds better out of the box.
If what they mentioned about the Kato's distortion is true (it would be even lower than that of their current SDD Illumination's), which is likely as the company has been quite transparent so far, it should be very EQ-friendly

FTB

Check out Moondrop Variations. The lack of a visible resonance peak on Softears RSV just says that it's in reality veiled in the upper treble.

You're right, RSV have a roll-off at 8K.
Moon. Variations look very good.
Still wondering about phase problems in multi-drivers IEM.

Here is some image infos about phase problems solving in Softears RSV : https://fr.shenzhenaudio.com/produc...eference-sound-series-in-ear-monitor-earphone

I don't know about Moon. Variations.

There is a frequency response graph provided. "Need a more accurate FR." "Need to hear it personally." The list goes on

Still not so far from Starfield or Aria except the more elevated 7K.

Kato

eed9f52eeeed860057048437a19101c0.jpg

Starfield

P6.webp

Aria

H14e5aa8421834252b6c0fe4a0f527ba03.jpg

Sharur

There is a frequency response graph provided. "Need a more accurate FR." "Need to hear it personally." The list goes on
That frequency response suggests the headphone has muddy bass which leads to auditory masking. Definitely not a "budget stealth."

FTB

So interesting, thank you.
When the video starts I was "so what's all this fuss about phase in speaker design ?"
Then Amir answered.
Then "yeah but what about headphones with no room ?"
Then Amir answered.
I guess with IEM there's still reflections in the ear canal.

So Softear do great marketing communication about their phase solving.

Sharur

So interesting, thank you.
When the video starts I was "so what's all this fuss about phase in speaker design ?"
Then Amir answered.
Then "yeah but what about headphones with no room ?"
Then Amir answered.
I guess with IEM there's still reflections in the ear canal.

So Softear do great marketing communication about their phase solving.
also, the Moondrop Variations does not have phase distortion
1631222000939.png

Top Bottom