• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone reviewed crossovers?

xaxxon

I'm running a Behringer Super-X Pro CX2310 v2 to run a car sub in my office. It's a cheapy around $120.

There's the JL Audio CR-1 for $3500

And the Wilson Audio ActivXO for (hard to nail down) around $5000

I'd love to understand the relative performance of these devices but can't seem to find any measurements.

Also, if anyone else knows of any other products (especially in the middle of those prices) I'd be interested in seeing them.

These devices are all for combining speakers and subs, so it doesn't seem like it should be limited to a subwoofer reviewer, IMHO.

Sokel

Master Contributor
You'll find some that Amir measured at the pro audio threads,here's an example:

There are a lot around if you search,even Mcintosh has one.
Marchand is known for them,one has measured here as well.
Can you diy?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
If you want to stay with analogue crossovers, there is also Marchand Electronics. There are some much rarer analogue crossovers made by Accuphase and Nelson Pass, but those are almost useless if you buy them because they require drop in cards to change the XO point and slope. Those crossovers are already as rare as hen's teeth, to be able to find drop in cards would be nearly impossible so you might have to DIY your own.

There are of several digital crossovers that would do the job - e.g. MiniDSP (reviewed on ASR here) and DEQX. There are also numerous software based crossovers or crossover generators e.g. Acourate, Audiolense, Dirac, and REW (free). Those require you to bring your own DAC with as many channels as you need. I myself use Acourate + JRiver and it works well for me. I have previously owned MiniDSP, DEQX, Behringer CX2310, and Marchand XM-44.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking at the JL Audio CR-1 specs the stated THD+N translates to 94 SINAD. Other than that hard to say without measurements. Some of them also seem to be quite limited in how steep xo slopes can be used.

I think it's quite hard to beat MiniDSP Flex unless you prefer a rack size device with lots of physical controls.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Looking at the JL Audio CR-1 specs the stated THD+N translates to 94 SINAD. Other than that hard to say without measurements. Some of them also seem to be quite limited in how steep xo slopes can be used.

I think it's quite hard to beat MiniDSP Flex unless you prefer a rack size device with lots of physical controls.
Measurements wise it's not hard to find nice simple ones,even these dead cheap are at the limit of my old measurement rig:

I expect these ones suggested by another member to be much nicer:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are of several digital crossovers that would do the job - e.g. MiniDSP (reviewed on ASR here) and DEQX.
About DEQX , I am desperately waiting for the release of the new one initially planned for spring 2022 and delayed because of the pandemic. I contacted the European reseller and even he could not give me any information?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i wanted something that operated like my DCX2496, but was a few steps up in quality. I settled on this:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
About DEQX , I am desperately waiting for the release of the new one initially planned for spring 2022 and delayed because of the pandemic. I contacted the European reseller and even he could not give me any information?

Why not email them directly?

DEQX is an Australian company and I have met the founders (Kim Ryrie and Alan Langford) in various audio shows several times. There will be an audio show in October and I could ask them if I see them there.

I eventually went with a software based solution. Reasons: I need a PC anyway, the cost of PC + DAC + software is cheaper than DEQX, it can do more corrections, you have more taps, and it is much more versatile. There are a lot of things that DEQX can't do that is achievable on a PC if you install the correct software or buy the right equipment.

PGAMiami

If you want to stay with analogue crossovers, there is also Marchand Electronics. There are some much rarer analogue crossovers made by Accuphase and Nelson Pass, but those are almost useless if you buy them because they require drop in cards to change the XO point and slope. Those crossovers are already as rare as hen's teeth, to be able to find drop in cards would be nearly impossible so you might have to DIY your own.

There are of several digital crossovers that would do the job - e.g. MiniDSP (reviewed on ASR here) and DEQX. There are also numerous software based crossovers or crossover generators e.g. Acourate, Audiolense, Dirac, and REW (free). Those require you to bring your own DAC with as many channels as you need. I myself use Acourate + JRiver and it works well for me. I have previously owned MiniDSP, DEQX, Behringer CX2310, and Marchand XM-44.
I’m using a Pass XVR1. It does not use drop-in cards. The Low Pass and High Pass sections each have up to 4 poles that may be engaged and the Q and frequency for each pole is user adjustable, all with DIP switches.

I was fortunate to find one of these in mint condition, and even more fortunate to have Andrew Jones set mine up to actively biamp my TAD R1s that Andrew designed. Andrew has all the measurements on the TADs and also designed the passive crossovers in the TADs. Armed with this knowledge he set up my XVR1 so that I could completely bypass the LPF on the woofers. The HPF for the coax in the TADs is still in the circuit, but he also used an HPF on the XVR1 to provide additional filtering for the coax.

I use 4 AHB2s in mono to power the speakers. Coincidentally this amp was designed by Andrew’s twin. My TADs never sounded this good. The stock LPF in the TADs uses ferrite core inductors. Bypassing these and wiring the TAD woofer directly to AHB2s in mono took the already excellent bass up a couple notches in terms of effortless highly detailed sound reproduction. And also now my ABH2s driving the coax from 250hz up are not burdened with powering the woofers. These speakers will play much louder than anyone would possibly want. And the sound great at very low levels too.

But without Andrew’s help, this surely would have been impossible to execute.

XVR1s come up for sale now and then. They are not cheap and you need to have a deep understanding of acoustics to properly set one up. But if you’re lucky enough to find one and you can’t set it up correctly, they sound great.

jjmanda

I've been using one of these for a few years and been happy with it. No idea how it would measure but would be curious to see a review.

https://sublimeacoustic.com/products/k231-stereo-3-way-active-crossover
I have the K231 and use it to low pass my subs at 60hz. Works fine for that duty and the electrical FR measurement is accurate and like using the output gain control to quickly adjust the output level, but my unit has a nasty, terrible hum/buzz unless I ground the chassis.

I do not use it to high pass my mains as I'm just not too keen on placing this between my Benchmark LA4 and ABH2. If I were to use a high pass on my mains, I think I would go over to the Minidsp Flex.

JohnnyNG

but my unit has a nasty, terrible hum/buzz unless I ground the chassis.
I found mine is somewhat sensitive to what's it's near. Had a pretty noticeable buzz when it was close to the transformer of my Outlaw RR2160. I no longer use that amp but still give the crossover some distance. Still noisier with my ear up near the tweeter than the absolute silence I get from my Topping Pre90 direct to mono Purifi 1ET400A amps, but not audible at all in normal use.

I'm just not too keen on placing this between my Benchmark LA4 and ABH2
I hear you. I had the same concerns when looking at those components but am happy with it in my setup. My main concern with the Benchmark combo was the very high voltage that the LA-4 can deliver, but using Mid-Gain on the AHB2 can get around that. That's what I do on my Audiophonics MPA-M400ET; I have them set to 4.2V RMS sensitivity so as not to exceed the crossover's Input Signal Max: 5.5V.

Top Bottom