• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone measured the Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO ?

KR500

So far I have not turned up anyone's measurements of this headphone.
There are a few search hits but they turn out to be a typo and reference the Edition DT-880 model.

Any link I might have missed ?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT800 Pro does not exist (yet ?)
There is no reason for it either as the DT900 Pro is also open and already pretty 'DT800 flat' when it would exist.
dt900x-vs-dt880-ed.png

The DT880 Black Special Edition also looked more like a DT990 making the gap between 880 and 990 smaller anyway.
dt880be-vs-dt990pro.png

So Beyer does not need the 8xx between 7xx and 9xx it seems.

The more expensive range DT1990 + DT1770 also covers the DT1880 in essence. The DT1990 Balanced = DT990 alternative, the DT1990 Analytic = DT880 alternative.

Maybe that's why there is only an open (DT900Pro X) and closed version (DT700 Pro X)

Last edited:
OP
KR500

KR500

Typo corrected,
thanks for correcting as it should have read Beyerdynamic DT-880 PRO.

Online there are measurements and many discussions on the other 880 models, but not on the PRO .

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Pro is the exact same one. The only difference is the coiled cable and somewhat higher clamping force due to the different headband.

Beyerdynamic says the same in their FAQ:
The DT 880 Edition headphones for use at home and the DT 880 PRO studio headphones: soundwise, both models are identical as they feature identically designed acoustic transducers.

There are fundamentally two differences between the models. Firstly, the Edition models have a somewhat softer headband for enjoying music at home whereas the PRO headset has a slightly firmer fit. Secondly, the Edition models come equipped with a straight cable whereas the PRO models come with a coiled cable.

OP
KR500

KR500

Thanks for that information and clarification.

I did order them for their higher clamping force and coiled cable compared to the 600 Ohm Edition model 880's I have.
This morning I began with the Oratory 1990 EQ profile today on my ART 31 band graphic eq. as a starting point

I also own the 770 PRO which I enjoy quite a bit, at first listen the 880 PRO sounds like I am gaining some soundstage and maybe less V shape in the mid in comparison to the 770 , lost some sub bass with the 880 PRO also. Tradeoffs, but both excellent phones.
I really like the lines pad comfort, modular replacement options and the proven reliability of their production facility

OP
KR500

KR500

Update,
the 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro sounds just a little different than the 600 ohm Edition, although Beyer's FAQ says they use the same transducer.
The Edition is just a bit more airy and treble, although not by much. The difference is probably due to the PRO having higher clamping force and maybe some minor production variance in play ?
The Edition model I have is purchased new a year or 2 ago and the PRO was just purchased January 2022.

Source is Tascam CDP > Modi > Magni 3+ and ART 31 band graphic equalizer.

Switching from the Magni 3 for my Little Dot MK II+ headphone amp, the graphic EQ isn't needed.
Maybe a ply of toilet paper as there is just a hint of sibilance in places with certain vocals.
The Little Dot I have is from their early production around 10 years ago with quality parts and assembly, not the more recent ones with downgraded parts and sloppy solder work. It sounds very good with high impedance cans, especially with Mullard Tubes. The stock Chinese tubes that came with the LD just sound bad.
Bottom line for me is both phones are really close in frequency and having a tighter clamping version with coiled cable is a good option.
I use and enjoy both of these. As Solderdude and Amir mentioned the mids are really on the mark with the 880's

Before purchasing each I read Solderdude's great coverage of these models along with Amir and Oratory 1990's pages to help in my decision

Last edited:

Luke Lemke

The Pro is the exact same one. The only difference is the coiled cable and somewhat higher clamping force due to the different headband.

Beyerdynamic says the same in their FAQ:
The DT 880 Edition headphones for use at home and the DT 880 PRO studio headphones: soundwise, both models are identical as they feature identically designed acoustic transducers.

There are fundamentally two differences between the models. Firstly, the Edition models have a somewhat softer headband for enjoying music at home whereas the PRO headset has a slightly firmer fit. Secondly, the Edition models come equipped with a straight cable whereas the PRO models come with a coiled cable.
I prefer the DT-880 PRO since they "last forever". You can easily replace the headband leather and pads. The premium version headband doesn't last very long.

Soundwise, they are the same as Solderdude pointed out. The only DT880 that sounds different is the Black Version. It has a lot less treble.

Top Bottom