• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone heard of Bandwidth Audio ?

Gary_G

I was curious if anyone has heard of or has any information about Bandwidth Audio.

All the chatter concerning the Carver Tube Amp has me curious about the company's 288 Mono Tube Amp.

OP
Gary_G

Gary_G

Yea it looks awesome. I'm curious about opinions about its performance.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the 288:

THD+N at 1-Watt 1KHz

0.035%

Not bad at all for tubes, if true. The very fact they gave the number is encouraging. The 1% THD @ 60W is interesting, but not terribly relevant to normal listening.

Sheesh, I just noticed they have PDF graphs of distortion vs frequency.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Tube technology hasn't advanced in about 60 years. You can get good sound with tubes but cost-per-watt is very high. And they are energy inefficient. There are no inherent technical advantages. (There may be aesthetic "advantages" if this is your taste.)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tube technology hasn't advanced in about 60 years. You can get good sound with tubes but cost-per-watt is very high. And they are energy inefficient. There are no inherent technical advantages. (There may be aesthetic "advantages" if this is your taste.)
At about $7,000 /pair these aren't cheap, either. But they may be high fidelity, unlike that bizarre Carver amp.

Recluse-Animator

I don't know anything about tubes.

Has there been any blind tests that supports sound differences in tubes?

I assume there has been tests done that prove tubes sounds different than normal amps.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know anything about tubes.

Has there been any blind tests that supports sound differences in tubes?

I assume there has been tests done that prove tubes sounds different than normal amps.
Just the opposite. Clean tube amps sound remarkably like clean SS. No fairy dust or other magic at work.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the tube noobs. If you fancy tubes, and you don't mind the heat and cost etc., well fine. There are good tube amps out there. Just be aware that tubes degrade with time and need replacing. When you replace power tubes, usually re-biasing is in order.

Top Bottom