• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone compared the KEF R11 to the Revel F208?

unklejoe

Hello,

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of F208's, but I just noticed that KEF R11's are on sale for $4800/pair, whereas the F208's seem to have actually increased in price to $5500/pair since the last time I was looking at them only a few months ago.

I did see the thread ranking all of the tower speakers, and the F208 was rated higher than the R11, but there wasn't any actual data for the R11, so I think it was an assumption based on other models.

Has anyone compared these speakers and/or have any measurements for the R11?

What are the major differences in terms of sound? My guess is the F208 has a wider dispersion, but how about bass response, etc?

Anything else I should be looking at in the 4-6k range that measures well?

Thanks!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
We only have this:
Which I've digitized earlier, so to we can see more data points.
CEA2034.jpg

From this digitized graph, LFX (bass extension at -6db point) looks to be 32hz.
From Kef's white paper (linked above), frequency range (-6db) point is 30hz.
I have no reason to doubt Kef, so I would just say that digitization smoothes things, plus their original graph is very low resolution anyway. So I'm inclined to believe Kef's 30hz value.

From my passive speaker recommendations thread:
TOWERS Under US$5500/pair:
RecommendationPSLFX
#1Revel F208 (Amir)6.726
#2Revel F206*6.436
#3Infinity R263*6.032
WorthyRevel F226Be (Erin)6.043
WorthyKef R5 (Erin)5.933
WorthyRevel F35 (Amir)5.739
WorthyJBL 4309 (Amir)3.841
WorthyKef R7**
WorthyKef R11**
WorthyRevel F36**
** No spinorama for Kef R7. I'm including it because we have Kef R3, R5 spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these are better.
** No spinorama for Kef R11. I'm including it because we have Kef R3, R5 spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these are better.
** No spinorama for Revel F36. I'm including it because we have multiple Revel tower speakers (F35, F226Be, F228Be, F206, F208, Ultima2 Studio2) spinorama already, so it's not a stretch to imagine these will be good.

Which means Revel F208 (with LFX of 26hz) will win against the Kef R11's, in terms of bass extension.

Top Bottom