• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anybody heard the new KEF KF92 sub? What are your opinions?

killdozzer

Major Contributor
It's rather new so so far I've got "opinions" based on listening experience prior to the release of this sub. I value that, some of those opinions are inteligent and a worthy experience.

However, I'd like to get an opinion from an ASR member who is tough on audio BS, but is not judging the sub on specs but on actual test drive.

Not expecting miracles, but I'm trying to see it for what it is; 13" split in two 9" to benefit from force cancelation in order to be able to push it in a longer excursion and avoid distortions coupled with decent DSP to get more than traditionally possible. (also to split the amp in 2x500 to take some load of the coil)

A very important aspect for me is the compact box. Obviously, it would be silly to ask if you know of a 13" sub to be as small because it just couldn't fit the KF92 enclosure.

But I will ask about performance; do you think there's a single 13" sub that behaves better at higher volume levels than this KF92 and can digg noticably deeper?

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Any takers?
Anyone will do?

Is this as capabale as a 13" only in smaller box? Is it better or worse?

I'm not asking about personal preference, but performance, low end, low distortion...

It doesn't have to do 11Hz, if it's a slightly better performance of a 13" packed in smaller box, it is still very interesting to me.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yes, thank you all!! That's what I needed! But I'm not even taking their word for it, if they can do what a 13" can do, plus a force cancellation, I'm interested.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
come on guys. this is a small sub. If you have a big room you don't need a small sub.
I was talking about the frequency extension
Yes, thank you all!! That's what I needed! But I'm not even taking their word for it, if they can do what a 13" can do, plus a force cancellation, I'm interested.
Not sure how you got what you needed from this thread, the important measurements are not available.

Frequency response without compression curves are not very useful for evaluating subs. We need more measurements to draw a conclusion. We cannot conclude that performance is anywhere near 13" range. Yes total cone area is in the same range but what about excursion? Is size your main concern? If so I would look at JL E110 and E112.

Last edited:
OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Not sure how you got what you needed from this thread, the important measurements are not available.

Frequency response without compression curves are not very useful for evaluating subs. We need more measurements to draw a conclusion. We cannot conclude that performance is anywhere near 13" range. Yes total cone area is in the same range but what about excursion? Is size your main concern? If so I would look at JL E110 and E112.
That's not what I meant with this "yes". But, some arguments against... It's useful. As much as I can get from as little box as possible is my goal. I don't think of KEF as telling outright lies, but I'm looking for someone who heard it, I'm interested in this sub...

dasdoing

Major Contributor
couldn't find any documentation on their iBX technology, but the very flat line at max (?) suggests that there is no limiting (brick wall compression) going on as the whole curve seams to be DSP controlled (it sure could go louder if they started limiting the lower frequencies; I see that as a plus, since puting a limiter instead of limiting the volume knob is kind of cheating). but I am guessing here. It sure is no thx certified sub.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
graphs suggest this thing competes with 18" https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/kef-kf92
How?
Rythmik G22 in piano finish is $1600 and is dual 12” compared to this dual 9”. The G22 looks to do >110dB @ 40Hz (CEA-2010 2m RMS).
The KEF doesn’t even have a phase knob, just a polarity switch; the speaker wire connections are so odd, just make room for binding posts.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
@MZKM @dasdoing @waynel
Yes, a lot seems to be off... It's only making me more curious. KEF never looked like a company that would put out such bloated measurements. I'd hate to lose them to the dark side.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's rather new so so far I've got "opinions" based on listening experience prior to the release of this sub. I value that, some of those opinions are inteligent and a worthy experience.

However, I'd like to get an opinion from an ASR member who is tough on audio BS, but is not judging the sub on specs but on actual test drive.

Not expecting miracles, but I'm trying to see it for what it is; 13" split in two 9" to benefit from force cancelation in order to be able to push it in a longer excursion and avoid distortions coupled with decent DSP to get more than traditionally possible. (also to split the amp in 2x500 to take some load of the coil)

A very important aspect for me is the compact box. Obviously, it would be silly to ask if you know of a 13" sub to be as small because it just couldn't fit the KF92 enclosure.

But I will ask about performance; do you think there's a single 13" sub that behaves better at higher volume levels than this KF92 and can digg noticably deeper?

JL Audio is king of high output in small enclosure

subs.jpg.3425d715b569f1397f8726380089fcef.jpg

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
SpareChange reviewed it and liked it quite a bit:

Thank you! I've seen that. It's just not really what I'm looking for. I'd never think there's no reason to like this sub, but it IS a pricey sub. Now, SVS has some reputation in SUBs and I got a quote on SVS SB 3000 for 1210€ or 1420$ (that's the cheapest I found in EU), because of its construction and two proprietary drivers, KF92 is more expensive, but it has to earn that with performance, not just number of drivers. If performance doesn't top SVS SB 3000, why would anyone go for a more expensive one?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is the near field data?
cause I calculated 1.485 cubic field for the KEF and it reads ~96dB at 20Hz

The data is the CEA2010 at 20Hz references to 2 meters groundplane from Data-Bass . I created this plot. What do you mean “it reads ~96dB at 20Hz”?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom