• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anybody heard of this HPA-3U+ dac/amp?

Azeendeen

I have only seen one review of this and I just wanna know if I can use this with an external dac. Because from this 1 review alone and discussion on massdrop the amplifier is good however the dac is average. Because it's either I get this and a topping d50 or smsl su8 in the future together with it or a massdrop THX AAA linear AMP with a topping d50 or smsl su8. The only reason the hpa 3u+ got my attention is because compared to the massdrop amp , it is of more convenient size for me to place on my table and the single ended output is more powerful then the massdrop amp.I currently have no balanced cables I plan on using with for headphones

Hi Azeendeen - short answer is yes, the Matrix provides analogue inputs for connecting an external DAC.
I have had some experience with this unit and can highly recommend it as a powerful and well designed and built amp/DAC.
And it measures well - Matrix is a company that values quality engineering.

In it's price range I would definitely say it is worth careful consideration, even if only used as a single-ended headphone amp.

OP
A

Azeendeen

Hi Azeendeen - short answer is yes, the Matrix provides analogue inputs for connecting an external DAC.
I have had some experience with this unit and can highly recommend it as a powerful and well designed and built amp/DAC.
And it measures well - Matrix is a company that values quality engineering.

In it's price range I would definitely say it is worth careful consideration, even if only used as a single-ended headphone amp.
Thank you. Was thinking between this and the jotunehim however I have no balanced cable of right now, the size of the matrix is more convenient for me and I'm also unsure about the humming issues on the jotunehim.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience may not be relevant, but I have owned a couple of the older M-Stage amps and have been very pleased with them. The HPA-3U+ circuitry seems new, but it looks like it maintains its Class A amplification and ajustable gain. In the past they have run hot but worked well with a large variety of headphones. It appears that has not changed. Looks like a good choice on paper.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
No direct experience with this , but the balanced version HPA-3B is what I got from Massdrop too.
That one has tremendous amount of smooth power on balanced out. I only use it at lowest gain and my volume power never going past 1:30 o'clock! ( for HD6XX and HE4XX).

Its convenient no doubt as even the power supply is self contained. But do note the actual dimensions of the unit closely. Its relatively flat, but its deep.
On my desk, I had to turn it 90 degrees in stacking with my DAC to save space.

OP
A

Azeendeen

No direct experience with this , but the balanced version HPA-3B is what I got from Massdrop too.
That one has tremendous amount of smooth power on balanced out. I only use it at lowest gain and my volume power never going past 1:30 o'clock! ( for HD6XX and HE4XX).

Its convenient no doubt as even the power supply is self contained. But do note the actual dimensions of the unit closely. Its relatively flat, but its deep.
On my desk, I had to turn it 90 degrees in stacking with my DAC to save space.
The size is convenient for me. How do I say it takes on like a shape of a phone or capsule. Most dac/amps may it be all in one unit or separate take on a square or rectangle shape which is not that convenient for me

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its already the depth of my DAC that was connected with cables, without anything connected to it.

That's why I said to be wary of its depth.

OP
A

Azeendeen

My experience may not be relevant, but I have owned a couple of the older M-Stage amps and have been very pleased with them. The HPA-3U+ circuitry seems new, but it looks like it maintains its Class A amplification and ajustable gain. In the past they have run hot but worked well with a large variety of headphones. It appears that has not changed. Looks like a good choice on paper.
Thx for the insight. Yes I feel like if I get them I would need to be running my living room fan on them closely or together with my aircon since I live in Singapore which is quite a tropical country

Top Bottom